Work Done in 2019

thewoodlands Posted By thewoodlands, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Dismiss Notice
System Upgrade. Monday 9/16 7am central time.Thanks for your patience.
  1. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This should be posted in the boiler room forum. Do you want it moved there?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    I posted it under my thread on the installation of the boiler also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    We had back at it and knocked out about half of what was left after yesterday. All the knotty "rounds" are done, just the big ones remain.
    20190911_174742.jpg 20190911_174816.jpg

heavy hammer likes this.
  5. Chas0218

Chas0218
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2015
    Loc:
    Beaver Dams New York
    As promised.

Attached Files:

heavy hammer and SpaceBus like this.
  6. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    That looks great!

Chas0218 likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Foothills of The Adirondacks
    We've had a bunch of stuff going on but I have been working on a new plow area for the snow just off the driveway, I hope to finish it by the end of next week.

I haven't been taking any pictures lately but I did pull two smaller stumps with the backhoe on the 4540. I'm just waiting for the leaves to fall so I can fell a bunch of ash so I can s&s it before winter. I'm hoping for another 10 face cord or just over 3 cord.

We haven't been burning yet and after looking at the forecast, it should be another 11 days before we need to unless the boss wants one.

heavy hammer and SpaceBus like this.
  8. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    We've had a few fires, but we also don't have all of the first floor insulated yet. I too am waiting for the leaves to fall before I do any more tree work.

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    We usually start burning on Sept. 15 but it will still be warm enough out this year that we won't need to. We'll wait until we see some colder nights before we bring in some shoulder season wood.

We have some ash on our house property that I plan on felling, in the spring I felled nine trees of different sizes, We have ten face cord from those ash trees.

Bushels20 and heavy hammer like this.
  10. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Done splitting the Ash. Seems the heartwoood wasn't as big in this yard tree as it was on some other woods trees I've cut. Slower growth= More heartwood? I guess this batch will dry faster, though. I already took two quad trailers of un-split rounds to the stacking spot at my wife's sisters, but I think I can hand-split most of that. First I need to replace a couple of busted pallets, and I think I will spin all of the pallets so that the 2x4s are perpendicular to the rows. That will give me more width and maybe the pallets will hold up better.
    Herm split 1.jpg Herm split 2.jpg

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Nice looking pile of firewood, good work @Woody Stover .

heavy hammer likes this.
  12. yinpin

yinpin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 25, 2016
    Loc:
    Kingsville, MD
    Split the cherry I cut last week. I have a lot (the rest of the tree) to cut down and buck but trying to keep things clean.

2f07e6c58f40033bb2fe67da307b2922.jpg
    573660a9716a486d53fac9769dd0114e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Smells so good, plus decent wood. ;)

heavy hammer and thewoodlands like this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    This area I've been working will be for snow storage in the winter and trailers once the white stuff is gone.

Picture 9564 is where we took 10 trees out of, the majority of them were tall thin pines and some dead cherry, in picture 9565 is another area between the cherry and the pine we'll put more snow but first I'll clean it up, 9568 is a small maple that was bent over from another tree falling on it so I cut it down and the deer are feeding off it and the rest of the pictures are from splitting of the pine and the 4540 bringing them to Pineville.

Attached Files:

heavy hammer likes this.
  15. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    Nice sink and kitchen Chas0218. We did a master bath this year with a farm house sink with a copper faucet.

16. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    Resized_20190908_132037_7703.jpeg Resized_20190908_171054_772.jpeg Before and after pics of some of the rounds from the trees we dropped. Plus my little helper. I split and he retrieved that duck for three or four hours.

17. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    Resized_20190913_194323_7167.jpeg here is the sink and faucet we put in out master bath. I like the farm house style better it is a much bigger deeper sink. I hate those little vanity sinks.

18. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    My wife and I agree, that looks great and functional. We currently have a stupid vanity sink and hate it. We can hardly wash our hands in it...

heavy hammer likes this.
  19. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Gotta love dat Cheery wood.. :)
    What is that..Cherry on the right?

20. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    Woody Stover on the right is mainly oak, a little maple and ash. On the left those rounds are ash

21. Bushels20

Bushels20
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 20, 2018
    Loc:
    OH

When well seasoned, ash is great firewood. Burns hot with lively flames. People say you can burn it green. Never tried and never will.

22. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    There are a bunch of people up this way that burn green wood, some think the wood will be too dry if seasoned for a year or more.

I'm seeing a bunch of green firewood that has been delivered in the neighborhood this year, some do it every year but a few got very late deliveries.

23. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    The Farm next-door sold a 2 hector lot to a lad from the city 8 years ago
    He built a very nice house and burns wood. For the first 2 years, I tried
    to explane to him the benefits of seasoned wood but he continued to
    buy green firewood . He often complained that he got poor heat for the
    garbage wood. Two years ago he had a chimney fire (no Damage) so
    last fall I sold he 3 year old sugar maple at a discount. In the spring he
    said the stove never worked so well. Last night he was over and wants
    2 cord of what I sold him last year. I thought he was going to have a
    heart attack when I told him 3 years seasoned wood at 16 to 18 % mc
    will cost 350 Dollars a cubic cord. Last years wood that I sold him was
    also 16 to 18 % mc . I sold it to him for what he had been paying for green
    He said he was going back to his old supplier. I wished him good luck

24. Bushels20

Bushels20
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 20, 2018
    Loc:
    OH
    I had some green wood my very first season. It was terrible. Never again.

thewoodlands likes this.
  25. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    A neighbor across the road said last year he had a hard time keeping his house 65 but tells me how he can burn green firewood in his outside wood furnace.

He had his house insulated better (walls & ceiling) before he had new siding put on so I would think it's the wood. I'm not sure when he cuts his wood but I'm seeing him still coming in with trailer loads of splits.