Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hope everyone fared ok from the high winds last night and today. I worked storm today damage was bad in some places.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Hope everyone fared ok from the high winds last night and today. I worked storm today damage was bad in some places.
The lights flickered about four times today but the power stayed on, the higher winds were east of us but we did get heavy rains.

Reactions: heavy hammer
After a few cups of coffee it was off to clear some trails, pic 9755 is a dead basswood that had been down and 9757 is after I removed it opening up a secondary trail. Pic 9759 is a basswood and on the ground was a rotten maple that the wind took down, in pic 9761 the trail is open. The last of the trail work is in pic 9763 and the after pic is 9765.

Attachments

• 101_9755.JPG
    101_9755.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 101_9757.JPG
    101_9757.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 101_9759.JPG
    101_9759.JPG
    635.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 101_9761.JPG
    101_9761.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 101_9763.JPG
    101_9763.JPG
    617.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 101_9765.JPG
    101_9765.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 161
After the trail work was done, I went to an area that had some downed dead American Hophornbeam (Ironwood) so I bucked up the two trees which gave us 47 small rounds of some nice btu firewood. Pic 9766 is the first tree, 9768 is the trailer loaded up getting ready to head home, 9772 is a small trail when I was coming down and the last pic is coming out of the bowl.

Attachments

• 101_9766.JPG
    101_9766.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 101_9768.JPG
    101_9768.JPG
    578.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 101_9772.JPG
    101_9772.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 101_9773.JPG
    101_9773.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 163
I found another American Hophornbeam that was rotting from the top down, it ended up being another 27 rounds. In another part of our property I found a small Maple branch down so that came home too.

Attachments

• 101_9775.JPG
    101_9775.JPG
    531.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_9777.JPG
    101_9777.JPG
    493.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 101_9778.JPG
    101_9778.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 159
I was able to split a couple of loads of maple and then stack them. I also put the carb back on the 310 and fell a rotting American Hophornbeam, it ran better but stalled out after backing off the throttle some so I might try a new gas line.

We could be in for wind gust of 61 MPH starting later tomorrow, anyone else have a high wind watch?

Attachments

• 101_9791.JPG
    101_9791.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 101_9792.JPG
    101_9792.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 101_9793.JPG
    101_9793.JPG
    397 KB · Views: 168
  • 101_9794.JPG
    101_9794.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 101_9795.JPG
    101_9795.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 101_9796.JPG
    101_9796.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I started both stoves tonight. The temps went from low 60's to 30's and snow flurries. After some trick or treating my oldest daughter wanted a fire so I fired them both up. Temps this weekend are not supposed to be warm and with the wind I'll be working 16's for a few days.

I started both stoves tonight. The temps went from low 60's to 30's and snow flurries. After some trick or treating my oldest daughter wanted a fire so I fired them both up. Temps this weekend are not supposed to be warm and with the wind I'll be working 16's for a few days.
NOAA is saying wind gust around 61 mph starting at 4 a.m., with all the rain we're getting with the wind, I expect we'll lose power tomorrow..

Reactions: SpaceBus
We had some pretty good gusts here last night. Hope things don't get to bad in your area Thewoodlands.

Half of Maine is apparently without power, but we are holding on here. The wind has been fierce here today. I wish we had an ammenometer

We made it through the night with power but after we made the coffee and we were sitting down for our first cup we heard a pop, they say we'll have power back on at 7 tonight so we're on generator power.

I see a big ole maple branch bit the dust from the high winds an a pine up from lost it's top, the wind has calmed down with the sun coming out for a bit, we had 37.9 this morning.

I was able to score a parts saw with a good carb (we'll see) so that carb went on the 310 and tomorrow we'll see if it runs longer than 20 minutes before acting up. I did order a carb kit for the carb that was in the 310.

Our county has over 10,000 without power.

Last edited:
We made it through the night with power but after we made the coffee and we were sitting down for our first cup we heard a pop, they say we'll have power back on at 7 tonight so we're on generator power.

I see a big ole maple branch bit the dust from the high winds an a pine up from lost it's top, the wind has calmed down with the sun coming out for a bit, we had 37.9 this morning.

I was able to score a parts saw with a good carb (we'll see) so that carb went on the 310 and tomorrow we'll see if it runs longer than 20 minutes before acting up. I did order a carb kit for the carb that was in the 310.

Our county has over 10,000 without power.
Several in our area w/o power, started first fire of the season this AM, power just went out and kicked back on after several seconds- generator on standby.

Several in our area w/o power, started first fire of the season this AM, power just went out and kicked back on after several seconds- generator on standby.
We went for a ride when the winds calmed down, an older power pole west of us is snapped off and the wood that forms the T on top of another power pole is gone with the wires hanging, they still say 7 p.m. when we'll have power.

We went for a ride when the winds calmed down, an older power pole west of us is snapped off and the wood that forms the T on top of another power pole is gone with the wires hanging, they still say 7 p.m. when we'll have power.
Lost power for about 3hrs, back on now. Gave me a chance to try out the generator I bought this spring from the gang at Wood Chop Shop,works great and can power everythng I need.

With all the wind we're having the jet that was about treetop high wasn't expected but hey, it's ours so that's ok. About two hours later about 10 minutes apart, two sonic booms that shook the house, I thought at first we lost some big old pines near the house but all was fine when I checked.

Reactions: woodey
Power went out here around 1130, and we are back now at 1900.

Heavy winds here like so many others. Went out this morning to check a favorite forest road and found a couple beech that had come down during the storm (there was a 2-foot diameter pine almost blocking the road but I wasn't interested). On my way down the mountain a paper birch had come down across the road so that went in the truck as well. Not bad for about 45 minutes of work (the bulk of the two beech were upslope so I had to delimb the top branches that were blocking the road and then slide the trunks downhill...lots of wet leaves on the ground so they slid easily).

Attachments

• DSC00509.JPG
    DSC00509.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 137
Lost power for about 3hrs, back on now. Gave me a chance to try out the generator I bought this spring from the gang at Wood Chop Shop,works great and can power everythng I need.
Once the cookstove is done I'll only need to power the well pump and fridge during outages. I really want to get a panel just for that to integrate our generator. We haven't had a long enough outage to use it however.

We have a panel for our small generator. It’s nice to hook right to that and power critical loads
Do you have an auto start system? Our neighbor (like 1/8 mile away) has an old propane generator, probably from the 80's, that started when the power went out screamed for eight hours yesterday. We definitely don't want anything like that. The fridge kept our food cold until the power came back on.

I have a 27KV whole house standby Generator (Generac)
Runs on propane or natural gas. Very quit comes on when
the power goes out turns off when the power returns seamless
cost me just under 7 grand Canadian installed. With the number of
outages we have would not want to be without it

I have a 27KV whole house standby Generator (Generac)
Runs on propane or natural gas. Very quit comes on when
the power goes out turns off when the power returns seamless
cost me just under 7 grand Canadian installed. With the number of
outages we have would not want to be without it
John, can you send details on this unit, a link. Is is truly quite?
Thanks

Reactions: SpaceBus