thewoodlands Posted By thewoodlands, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM

1. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Have seen EAB already out and flying around. All the Ash is doomed around here although there are still some around that show no sign of infection yet.

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Foothills of The Adirondacks
    My plan for felling ash just got pushed back, on the way home tonight I hit a pothole that broke something in the back right tire area on the Escape. I'll be calling a few places around here tomorrow morning, hopefully it's nothing real bad. !!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    It's bad here too, like driving on the surface of the moon! <>

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    thewoodlands likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    I came around a curve and there was a long stretch of what I'll call a small hole that was about six feet long. We were about 60 miles from home when it happened but we made it home.

5. mcdougy

mcdougy
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Apr 15, 2014
    Loc:
    ontario
    Very sad, but true. Those bugs wiped out ALL the ash in the woods around here. I hope I'm wrong but haven't noticed any survivors yet.

6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    At least if you are on roads you normally travel, you know where the craters are...
    Casualties are mounting here but there are still a lot of Ash alive. Maybe I should save some seeds and try to re-seed the genetics that were here before the extinction. I wonder how long it takes after all the trees are gone, for the bugs to die out and re-planted Ash trees could survive again?
    Next...spotted lanternfly. :oops:

7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    We made a quick call early this morning to a repair shop, he had his 8:30 a.m. appointment cancel so we were able to get our car in for a lift and look which turned out to be the shock on the back right tire so we're having both sides replaced. We should have the car back either later today or tomorrow.

heavy hammer and Woody Stover like this.
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Before we hit the pothole we ate at a small diner before heading home, the wife was looking at the sales receipt this morning and guess what number table we ate at, 13. :oops:

Woody Stover likes this.
  9. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    I hit a pot hole a few weeks ago and lost the inside part of my hub cap to my truck, an $80 piece. I wasn't very happy. Sorry to hear about your luck thewoodlands.

10. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Heck, I dodge 13 potholes before I get 2 miles down the road. ;lol

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    The car is back and all is good. There were plenty of potholes on the way back so I did plenty of bobbing & weaving when I could.

heavy hammer and SpaceBus like this.
  12. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    Busy condescending the stuff I had in single rows into tighter wood racks 3 rows deep, splitting the rounds that built up and stacking those. Just made the third bay today, hope to fill it with the last pile of splits I have. Then it’s off to fetch more wood. (BTW, this is the 2020/2021 supply)

Attached Files:

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Nice work @Mojappa , I'll be doing some stacking tomorrow since the rain stopped.

14. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    Rain shmain lol. Started literally the minute I fired up the splitter, determined to finish what I started I grabbed the canopy and set it up. Luckily no winds, just showers
    AC4210CC-5406-4020-8E23-7F17F14AF772.jpeg

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Nice setup for the rain or sun, what types of firewood do you have in your stacks?

16. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    Well.....I don’t know. Only just started burning a couple winters ago so I just get what’s available, mostly red and white oak around here. The stack on the right is two oaks dropped last year in the back yard, the other is a mix of stuff from a couple tree I just dropped and some stuff from my brother’s house (some locust mixed in here and there I think). Once I have more solidified places to store the wood (and get more trees of different species) I’ll get set up to keep em separated

heavy hammer and thewoodlands like this.
  17. RowCropRenegade

RowCropRenegade
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Southwest, Ohio
    About 6 cords of mostly ash.

Attached Files:

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    I moved some three year old soft maple,sugar maple and some yellow birch to an open stack that held the ironwood we burned in the 2018-19 heating season.

Hopefully by the end of the day Monday, I'll move another two face cord to an open area near the stuff I stacked today.

Attached Files:

heavy hammer and Lone_Gun like this.
  19. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, moving wood is a pain. I've got a partial stack collapse to re-stack. I need to totally re-configure my stacking system. Instead of pallets, I'm thinking of going to straight, dead Sass logs with saddle notches, that will rest on top of concrete blocks and not roll. I may have to flatten the tops of the Sass logs with a saw in some spots. Maybe also a larger steel canopy area where I could stash wood, quad, splitter etc, instead of messing with the tarps.
    I did whack the wet Red Elm yesterday. It popped apart pretty easily with the wedge maul which flew the splits apart, overcoming the slight stringiness of the Elm (way less stringy than the dead, dry Reds I've been getting out of the woods lately.)
    20190424_155434.jpg 20190506_134541.jpg

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    It looks like some nice solid firewood. The area I'm moving wood from has some of the wind blocked by the house, the area it's getting moved to gets a ton of sun & wind. The area I'm moving it to is easier to access in the winter too,

21. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Thought I had cut and split enough wood to fill the shed from this past winter that was temporarily stored in an old garage. Not done yet but looks like I didn't cut enough;hm. going back over to my neighbors old logging site to see what's left. Did notice lots of 12" ash had EAB infestation and may not have survived the winter. Might be easy pickens. Strait trunks in forest setting very little limbs.

22. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    I never did get to the ash in my post 148 so tomorrow is the day. The company that clears near the power lines for National Grid is clearing any ash (ash only) in our area, they were marking the ash today.

It should be a nice day for cutting tomorrow with a temp around 55.

Woody Stover and heavy hammer like this.
  23. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Sounds like you will get a good haul out of that. That's my next move here...go after the Ash and hope some of it is pretty dry so that I can finish filling a couple of in-law sheds. But it's been too wet the last couple weeks. Now that it's drier, I've got a couple auto repairs to do first but I will get out there soon.

24. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    I finally felled this ash and then bucked it up, I'm thinking tomorrow will be a splitting day. This should make for some nice firewood.

When I took the dog for a walk this afternoon, I walked the back gully where most of the ash is and there are more then I originally saw. 101_9051.JPG

Attached Files:

25. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    That's a good size tree.