Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Best wishes with the shoulder surgery..I broke my shoulder about two years ago and its no fun...Hope you have a real good support system of family and friends and you will do just fine with rehabilitation. So sorry you need to go through with this...sympathy given and get well and hoping you are moving around with it real soon..----don't overdue it now..Best wishes and God speed you get well..clancey

Finished stacking the uglies today. I am officially done my wood, and am off to shoulder surgery tomorrow. You fellas play safe and enjoy your time in the woods :)

Melissa

View attachment 278667

View attachment 278668

That's a beautiful sight! Those stacks look great!

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: MissMac and JimBear
I took two damaged Maples, the first was rotting from the top down and the second from the base up. I hauled two loads of rounds and the third was some limb wood from one of the trees.

Attachments

• 104_1848.JPG
    104_1848.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 104_1849.JPG
    104_1849.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 104_1850.JPG
    104_1850.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 104_1851.JPG
    104_1851.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 104_1852.JPG
    104_1852.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 104_1853.JPG
    104_1853.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 104_1855.JPG
    104_1855.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 104_1857.JPG
    104_1857.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 104_1860.JPG
    104_1860.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 104
Look at that pretty deer looking at you...cute,,,,What is that green stuff on the tree barks? clancey
After I felled the tree, the deer came over to eat some of the top. There is moss on the base and wild leeks growing up from the forest floor.

Two more trailer loads of Maple came out today.

In picture 1861 you can see the two topped off Maple, 1862 is just a picture, 1863 is the first Maple down, 1864 is the Maple heading to a ridge, 1867 is the second Maple, 1868 is the Maple heading home, and 1869 is heading up to the ridge out of the woods.

Attachments

• 104_1861.JPG
    104_1861.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 104_1862.JPG
    104_1862.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 104_1863.JPG
    104_1863.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 104_1864.JPG
    104_1864.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 104_1867.JPG
    104_1867.JPG
    535.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 104_1868.JPG
    104_1868.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 104_1869.JPG
    104_1869.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 89
Earlier in May I started to fell some Beech and then some Maple, the splitting and stacking should start next week. The Beech and Maple either was topped off or rotting at the base so it was time to take them. Hopefully I can get more Maple out tomorrow and Friday.

I'm hoping for two or three face cord of Beech and one or two face cord of Maple de[pending on how much more Maple I get out.

For this year we have 24 face cord of Ash ready (we burn 12) and 3 face cord of American Hophornbeam or Ironwood.

Attachments

• 104_1870.JPG
    104_1870.JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 104_1871.JPG
    104_1871.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 104_1872.JPG
    104_1872.JPG
    420.4 KB · Views: 108
Don't overdo it now you will have shoulder problems---looks so beautiful and I see that you have your little trailer matching the color of your blue jeep looking vehical...I also see the moon in one of those pictures--working late...ha...Nice pictures thanks..clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
Two more trailer loads of Maple came out today.

In picture 1861 you can see the two topped off Maple, 1862 is just a picture, 1863 is the first Maple down, 1864 is the Maple heading to a ridge, 1867 is the second Maple, 1868 is the Maple heading home, and 1869 is heading up to the ridge out of the woods.
You have a very manageable timber for this time of year. Mine is already wall to wall, chest high undergrowth. No fun for scrounging. Ticks galore as well.

Don't overdo it now you will have shoulder problems---looks so beautiful and I see that you have your little trailer matching the color of your blue jeep looking vehical...I also see the moon in one of those pictures--working late...ha...Nice pictures thanks..clancey
You have a very manageable timber for this time of year. Mine is already wall to wall, chest high undergrowth. No fun for scrounging. Ticks galore as well.
Everything should start changing here with our temps jumping up, I haven't pulled off or seen any ticks yet but I'm sure that time is coming.

Pretty soon it will be time for some rides in the boat and trail maintenance along with taking care of the tops.

Took down five decent sized balsam fir trees today. @MissMac I tried the bore cut on the three larger trees and really liked it. The only problem I had was the saw getting pinched due to the tension from the skidding winch. Both times I just used the MS150 to finish cutting the "holding wood". The third tree went down with the 460 trapped and landed right on the bar. I'm torn between a 16 and 18" bar to replace the bent 20" bar. Just going to break one or two of my 20" loops into whatever size I end up with.

Attachments

• DSCF0148.JPG
    DSCF0148.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0149.JPG
    DSCF0149.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0150.JPG
    DSCF0150.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF0152.JPG
    DSCF0152.JPG
    518.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Wow
Reactions: MissMac
I tried the bore cut on the three larger trees and really liked it.
Hey after the bore cut is made you can slid 2 wedges on either side of the bore, give it a wack and that will pre-load the wood so when you hit the back hold wood it will go forward towards the notch, eliminating the need for the winch, unless its a heavy leaner and you need to coach the tree forward.

Hey after the bore cut is made you can slid 2 wedges on either side of the bore, give it a wack and that will pre-load the wood so when you hit the back hold wood it will go forward towards the notch, eliminating the need for the winch, unless its a heavy leaner and you need to coach the tree forward.
I used the winch because all five trees had sweep or were leaning towards the house. Generally if the tree is under 12" DBH I don't really involve the winch, unless it is really close to the house or otherwise spooky. Good tip on the wedges though, could probably have saved my bar from getting pinched and ultimately trashed.

I used the winch because all five trees had sweep or were leaning towards the house. Generally if the tree is under 12" DBH I don't really involve the winch, unless it is really close to the house or otherwise spooky. Good tip on the wedges though, could probably have saved my bar from getting pinched and ultimately trashed.
Look up back cut first for pulling a tree off it’s lean. Makes a lot of sense. Make your back, cut set wedges and a bit of tension. Make under cut. Wedge / Pull it over. I’m not gonna practice that one for the first time near my house. I think you made out just fine with just a bent bar. 16” replacement lighter is better. Just my thoughts from a completely inexperienced but well read desk/white board jockey.
Evan

Reactions: SpaceBus
Look up back cut first for pulling a tree off it’s lean. Makes a lot of sense. Make your back, cut set wedges and a bit of tension. Make under cut. Wedge / Pull it over. I’m not gonna practice that one for the first time near my house. I think you made out just fine with just a bent bar. 16” replacement lighter is better. Just my thoughts from a completely inexperienced but well read desk/white board jockey.
Evan
I've tried putting tension on the tree before cutting the hinge, but it's hard on the saw to cut the hinge. Perhaps wedges don't put as much tension as the winch, so could be something to add to the arsenal of knowledge. With the winch I'll probably stick to normal back cuts in the future and do the bore cut when I'm not using the winch.

I ordered a NOS Total Super Bar (TsuMura) in 16" 3/8 .058", which was a lot harder to find than I would have imagined. It seems most 16" and shorter bars in in .325 or 3/8lp. If the 3/8lp I'm using on the mill holds up well I might even try it out for cross cutting duty. For now I'll break one of the 72dl 3/8 loops and make it into a 60dl. A few weeks ago I ordered a 16" bar for the mill saw as well, but it was somehow easy to find an OEM Husqvarna 16" .050" 3/8 bar for a large mount saw. That Archer 3/8lp comes with some very ugly cutters, which I found out the hard way when testing an 84dl loop on a 6x6 tamarack cant. The chain cuts probably 20% faster with less waste and it cleaned up very well with the grinder. Today I made a 60dl loop and cleaned it up along with the first 84dl loop. I

Reactions: EbS-P
I've tried putting tension on the tree before cutting the hinge, but it's hard on the saw to cut the hinge. Perhaps wedges don't put as much tension as the winch, so could be something to add to the arsenal of knowledge. With the winch I'll probably stick to normal back cuts in the future and do the bore cut when I'm not using the winch.

I ordered a NOS Total Super Bar (TsuMura) in 16" 3/8 .058", which was a lot harder to find than I would have imagined. It seems most 16" and shorter bars in in .325 or 3/8lp. If the 3/8lp I'm using on the mill holds up well I might even try it out for cross cutting duty. For now I'll break one of the 72dl 3/8 loops and make it into a 60dl. A few weeks ago I ordered a 16" bar for the mill saw as well, but it was somehow easy to find an OEM Husqvarna 16" .050" 3/8 bar for a large mount saw. That Archer 3/8lp comes with some very ugly cutters, which I found out the hard way when testing an 84dl loop on a 6x6 tamarack cant. The chain cuts probably 20% faster with less waste and it cleaned up very well with the grinder. Today I made a 60dl loop and cleaned it up along with the first 84dl loop. I
I just started milling with my 3/8 archer full skip semi chisel 30 degree top plate out of the box. It was not smooth... haven’t had a chance to put it back into use since I filed it to 10 degrees and hit all the rakers. Cant remember if this was the second or third cut. This was almost 5 months ago. image.jpg
Evan

Reactions: SpaceBus
I just started milling with my 3/8 archer full skip semi chisel 30 degree top plate out of the box. It was not smooth... haven’t had a chance to put it back into use since I filed it to 10 degrees and hit all the rakers. Cant remember if this was the second or third cut. This was almost 5 months ago. View attachment 278761
Evan
That's what my boards looked like after ripping the 6x6. I took the rakers down significantly on my 84dl loop and I want to compare that to the untouched rakers on the 60dl loop. Eventually I want to set up one of the loops in the Granberg style with every other cutter ground back to just a "scoring cutter." This is supposed to be faster and smoother.

That's what our trees looked like when they came down, but our technique as a bit different. I'll probably do something like they did for any future trees near the house. The trees I cut weren't leaning quite that hard, so I did not have to tension before making the face cut. The electric winch is nice because it can brake in any position, but the skidding winch has a pawl every 6" or so of cable travel. My wife is also a bit overzealous with the winch and tends to pull the trees to the ground once she feels the tree start to go down. I may even show her that video.

Reactions: JimBear
That's what my boards looked like after ripping the 6x6. I took the rakers down significantly on my 84dl loop and I want to compare that to the untouched rakers on the 60dl loop. Eventually I want to set up one of the loops in the Granberg style with every other cutter ground back to just a "scoring cutter." This is supposed to be faster and smoother.
Hand file on my Carleton ripping chain. First cut. Much nicer.

Attachments

• A8B32E96-BBB8-4A8A-8217-CD6217C5F5D5.jpeg
    A8B32E96-BBB8-4A8A-8217-CD6217C5F5D5.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 80
Hand file on my Carleton ripping chain. First cut. Much nicer.
The Carlton chain works well, I prefer it over the Oregon ripping chain. It will probably be a few weeks until I get the mill going again, I have to prep a new site which is all stumps at the moment. I thought you were going to be using the Archer full skip. After a few more times filing I bet you will get even smoother than that.