Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Carlton chain works well, I prefer it over the Oregon ripping chain. It will probably be a few weeks until I get the mill going again, I have to prep a new site which is all stumps at the moment. I thought you were going to be using the Archer full skip. After a few more times filing I bet you will get even smoother than that.
Have one loop of each for the 52” bar. 156dl takes to long to sharpen to only have one chain that you can only get three 11’ cuts out of.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Have one loop of each for the 52” bar. 156dl takes to long to sharpen to only have one chain that you can only get three 11’ cuts out of.
Have you thought about the Granberg Precision Grinder? I think it was $80 when I bought it and my sharpening times have gone down immensely, plus it puts a finer edge on the cutters for a better finish.

So I don't have any real social media (I prefer it this way) but I do have a fake name Facebook account to use the marketplace. I have a standing alert for free wood posts within 15 miles and as im pulling into the driveway from errands to make dinner day a guy was giving away free bucked and split pine 30 mins away.

Told the wife sorry gotta go free wood...gotta go back in an hr thanks for doing dinner!! She was...thrilled ;). The guy had 50' x 4' high nicely stacked pine in front of his house. Apparantly a giant pine fell through his roof (saw the 15' hole can confirm) and he was sawing it up. He decided to split it with his splitter to get rid of it easier and he was right. I was there within 40 min of the post and there were 3 of us loading up trucks!

Anyways I ended up filling up my pallet/wire bin with some grade A fire pit wood for basically no effort. I was pretty tired from a long day but hey it was already split and I'm a wood addict. If it was just rounds I'd have passed. My wife and kids want firepits basically every day so this is a great score for me and my back.

Left is my bin of pine, middle is my uglies/big pieces of hardwood leftover from the winters processing for the firepit. Just the thought of using quality hardwood splits in the fire pit gives me anxiety so I keep the fire pit wood totally separate! Good stuff for the house, weird/soft stuff for smores!

20210516_185623.jpg

I did make a nice dinner afterwards to make up for it. Smoked salmon!

20210516_185847.jpg

Looks wonderful now should not you have four pieces of salmon or do the young ones split one? enjoy great family..clancey

When it rains it pours! My brother in-law had a big old standing dead red oak taken down today so I was over there this afternoon bucking. About 1/3 if the way through the tree my pull start rope snapped after a refuel. Ugh. I'll grab the part tomorrow so I swapped to quartering the big rounds and loaded up the truck with what I had. Got a full pick up load and split it down to size while smoking a chicken.

20210517_182927.jpg

Had my Pirelli and helper mastiff "helping" as only he can do. The wood has about anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch of rot in the sap wood but it's a decent sized 24" so lots of delicious free wood.

390xx3~2.jpg

Back to the well today. I got everything bucked and took a load of the limbs and smaller stuff home. Next step is to split the big boys and transport those but its simply too hot today. 80+ and sunny all week. This is 23-24 wood so no need to push it.

20210518_111640.jpg
balls-its-hot-as-balls-0-monday-today-now-3pm-32348425.jpg

Resized_20210515_154142_3544.jpegResized_20210515_154133_117.jpegI moved another 3 truck loads of locust to the piles is the woods. I have 4 good sized piles of nothing but locust that needs cut and stacked.

You have a very manageable timber for this time of year. Mine is already wall to wall, chest high undergrowth. No fun for scrounging. Ticks galore as well.
That should be changing here if it hasn't already. The warmer temps have brought out all the bugs so the splitting and stacking will require an Off shower.

I usually would've had most of what I hauled out split and stacked but it's been a busy week doing some other things. I should be starting on the splitting and stacking by this Friday.

@JimBear and @heavy hammer , those are some nice btu's you're putting into inventory.
Your beech and maple aren't slouches in BTU. I'm a bit jealous of you guys wooding... I've spent the last 2 days and most of the last month acquiring materials, finish grading for slabs and arguing with subcontractors...

Your beech and maple aren't slouches in BTU. I'm a bit jealous of you guys wooding... I've spent the last 2 days and most of the last month acquiring materials, finish grading for slabs and arguing with subcontractors...
Who won the argument?

Who won the argument?
Which one...? We've mostly been able to eventually work through them so far. Worst is when there is no argument and they just don't show up or forewarn me that another job is taking longer than expected. Project is on schedule at least and I've done well locating vendors who have had "lesser" material increases, so it hasn't gone completely to sh.t...

I guess the PTO shaft on my stump grinder got bent when the tractor got stuck. Couldn't tell it was bent due to the shield, but once I turned the PTO the shield started dancing around. I also lost the 3/8 spinner anvil, so I can't make any chains today. Not a total loss, picked up the wife's car from the shop and she likes the new summer tires.

So. It was a bit expensive (and I'm still looking for some old, used deck joists for my floor), but I have a wood shed.

The lens makes it look like it's sagging or not square, but it is straight, and square to within 1/4". 18 foot x 8 foot. Three bays (6*8 floor area) each for one year. 2.6 cord per year.

Now the joy of restacking part of my wood (all but what I plan on using this winter).

Will stain it black soon. Will add some more diagonal braces (from the 2*4s holding my wood now).

No more tarps for me.

Had to wait taking a pic until I had some wood in...

IMG_20210520_175302135.jpg

So. It was a bit expensive (and I'm still looking for some old, used deck joists for my floor), but I have a wood shed.

The lens makes it look like it's sagging or not square, but it is straight, and square to within 1/4". 18 foot x 8 foot. Three bays (6*8 floor area) each for one year. 2.6 cord per year.

Now the joy of restacking part of my wood (all but what I plan on using this winter).

Will stain it black soon. Will add some more diagonal braces (from the 2*4s holding my wood now).

No more tarps for me.

Had to wait taking a pic until I had some wood in...

View attachment 278919

Looks great, I'm jealous! This is basically what I intend to build but mine will be longer/more shallow. Debating whether to build a floor or simply a lean-to to cover my stacks.

Regardless I'm waiting until the cost of lumber returns to normal. I'm dying to build but I just can't spent $10 on a 2x4 it's ridiculous.

Looks like 4x4 posts, 2x8 floors? What did you use for the roof?

Last edited:
Looks great, I'm jealous! This is basically what I intend to build but mine will be longer/more shallow. Debating whether to build a floor or simply a lean-to to cover my stacks.

Regardless I'm waiting until the cost of lumber returns to normal. I'm dying to build but I just can't spent $10 on a 2x4 it's ridiculous.

Are those 4x4 posts? It looks like the 2x8's you used to frame the floor also fit in the deck blocks or am I seeing things. I thought standard deck blocks typically only fit a 4x4 in the center.

Yes, it was a feeling of biting the bullet every now and then. But I was done with the tarps, and my wife was done with the stacks in various places...

I did put in a floor to keep things off the ground. Those concrete deck blocks are on 18"*18" concrete pavers. I have to see how much it will sag (sandy soil). Floor joists are treated (as are the poles). Rest is not. Shingles on the roof. 1.5' overhang in front, 1' in the back and sides.

I may add some slatted boards on the left side as that is the prevailing wind (rain blow in) direction, but I'll first see if it gets wet. If not I'll better not partially obstruct the wind.

The wife was already proposing to make one bay closed in (walls, closed floor, window, light...) to make a "she-shed". I learned a word there... I told her that that could be okay if she was ok with 2 winters warm and one cold ...

Did you toe nail the 2x8 floor framing to the posts at each union?

Lol a she said she shed. Just build her one next to it!

I used (Simpson) corner brackets rather than toenailing.

I used (Simpson) corner brackets rather than toenailing.

Another way would be to buy longer ones and lay them in front of the posts over the blocks (and simply nail them in the posts). I did not like me that as it creates a wood on wood wet contact area.

Another way would be to buy longer ones and lay them in front of the posts over the blocks (and simply nail them in the posts). I did not like me that as it creates a wood on wood wet contact area.

Yeah you could do that. I'd probably use lag bolts if I were to do it that way though for more strength but that puts the entire weight of the floor onto that joint. I think putting it in the deck blocks makes much more sense.

I'm likely going to build the lean-to structure myself. So, exactly what you did, but then if I decide to add the floors I'll bolt in the framing later like we just discussed. My yard isn't level so the back frame will be higher up the posts. I have 9 cords back there now that I don't want to re-stack lol.

Last edited:
Did you toe nail the 2x8 floor framing to the posts at each union?

Lol a she said she shed. Just build her one next to it!

I told her that the next time my wood stacks shed was full and my driveway too, I'd build another one. She started calling the addiction help line. So I don't think I'll be building anything else next to it in the near future. If I do, it'll get filled with wood, and she knows it :p

I had one full row 14ft x7ft high of dry splits sitting in the wood shed that fell over yesterday evening, hit the company truck when it came over, guess I'm restacking and configuring this weekend. But its Friday night and almost 5 o'clock... you know what that meansA850409F-3AD7-4065-BC94-2AB9326428A3.jpeg86FA487D-2F6F-4DD1-9F86-83720DF6DF39.jpeg

Last edited:
I had one full row 14ft x7ft high of dry splits sitting in the wood shed that fell over yesterday evening, hit the company truck when it came over, guess I'm restacking and configuring this weekend. But its Friday night and almost 5 o'clock... you know what that means

giphy (13).gif

Reactions: thewoodlands