Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My father still C/S/S wood and he is 66. He is still an animmal when it comes to work. Staying active is the key. You may not go as hard at it or as long but if you stay with it you will be fine plus you have a great jump on future.

Bobbob, my two labs have been my wood processing buddies for well over a decade. My older lab has been with me for almost 14 years. We have done alot of work together over the years. I liked seeing others with their four legged friends out in the woods. 12 cords and 3 years ahead is awesome. Keeping at will only make the cords increase and the years ahead get better!

Bobbob, my two labs have been my wood processing buddies for well over a decade. My older lab has been with me for almost 14 years. We have done alot of work together over the years. I liked seeing others with their four legged friends out in the woods. 12 cords and 3 years ahead is awesome. Keeping at will only make the cords increase and the years ahead get better!
We rescued our dog from a shelter in Texas about eight years ago. She's an Australian Kelpie, we're not sure if she's 100 percent.

104_0348.JPG

And that’s the last time I loan you a ladder! ;lol

Disclaimer, I do not know bob and didn’t loan him a ladder.
However that is neat use for one, especially if it was damaged and unusable as a ladder and going to the dump anyways.

And that’s the last time I loan you a ladder! ;lol

Disclaimer, I do not know bob and didn’t loan him a ladder.
However that is neat use for one, especially if it was damaged and unusable as a ladder and going to the dump anyways.
Yeah, both the ladders were unsafe to use. Since then my neighbor gave me 2 more extension ladders that were also unusable. I have enough length to make several more of those. Metal roofing was also repurposed😁

Reactions: Rusty18
Haven't been on in a while and stopped getting notifications of new postings because of it. Looks like folks are keeping busy...

I've only been moving wood from outside to the inside wood bin for winter. Getting nervous about my mid-grade hardwood supply for 23-24. Got enough softwood and premium hardwood through 24-25, but I need more ash, cherry and the like. No time though. Rehabbing a rental that got trashed and haven't been working on the cabin much since before Memorial day.

I started on the one cherry the other day but both saws were acting up so I called it a day. Today I used the old 028 Wood Boss bucking up the first cherry and I felled the second cherry, I didn't get the rest of the second cherry bucked up today.

Picture 3200 is what was left of the downed cherry, 3201 is that cherry bucked up, 3202,3203 is the second cherry that had lost its top, the wind was working against me so I needed some wedges, 3204 is some of the rounds coming home, 3205 is the top of the tree which held together until it hit the ground and the last picture is part of an old maple that came down a couple of windstorms ago.

104_3200.JPG 104_3201.JPG 104_3202.JPG 104_3203.JPG 104_3204.JPG 104_3205.JPG 104_3207.JPG

I started back cutting some rounds off this pine, I'll need to clean the area up before I finish the big trunk.

I'll hand file the chain and drop the rakers before I use this chain again.

104_3210.JPG 104_3211.JPG 104_3212.JPG

Two more slabs today. 4/4 and probably a10/4 Did not do a good job sharpening the chain. It was sharp but did not leave a smooth cut like last time. I rushed it was hot out.

8ABD78D8-88A3-4A18-8042-FB1667FA10E1.jpeg

I went up into the Idaho mountains (35 miles away) with a permit to get lodgepole pine. I collected small rounds that I had left from the last time. My usual routine, I fell some trees, buck them up, and wheel barrow rounds 200 feet to trailer (no gas powered transport allowed). After 5 hours I wheeled my last load to the trailer - the only thing left was to pick up the gear.

So back up the trail I go. After 70 feet, I'm stopped, because there is a moose 20 feet away passing across the trail. I hope she doesn't charge me. I look behind her - sure enough 2 calves. She doesn't seem to care that I'm there. But I back up slowly. I wait for the calves to move forward so I can get around them and get my chainsaw. After several minutes, they are still just sitting there on one side of the trail with their mom on the other side.

Now what? I'm not leaving my woodchuck and chainsaw. I walk behind the calves. They get a little anxious and move forward a little bit (Jeez, shouldn't they be scared?). I go way off the trail by a hill. Circle around and grab my gear. Momma moose appears to be oblivious 40 feet away chomping on small tree tops. I get back off the trail, go around the calves, and head back to my truck. I wonder, are these moose kind of tame? Moose are rare here, so they are treated like celebrities (no hunting). People probably feed them.

Last edited:
I have been fishing like there is no tomorrow. I have a pile of logs that needs splitting. A downed tree that needs to be cut and split. Need to get that done before end of this as I am starting a new job. Time flies when you are having fun :(

Biggest slab to date 40” wide at the big end. Gate was 42” between the posts and before today was rather miffed at myself for setting them so far apart.

Strapped to a 12’ ladder. Then one end to an appliance dolly other end a wheelbarrow. I didn’t think we could get it out it was going to be firewood. Or rot. Table probably. It’s got some big splits down the center but we’ll see what I do with it.

84E97C7F-ACDD-48CD-B880-0FF43A0A8332.jpeg

I stacked what was left of the cherry, it ended up being one face cord. The wind damaged cherry from 7/15 should give us another two face cord.

I hauled 3 loads of cherry and stacked that today, I'm hoping that the cherry pictured (7/15/2022) is c/s/s by the end of August.

104_3216.JPG 104_3217.JPG 104_3218.JPG 104_3219.JPG 104_3220.JPG 104_3187.JPG