Working on my cabin design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy,

I don't think anyone knows everything about stuff like this, but all of us know a little about part of it. That's what great about forums like this!

It sure does Pyper life would not be so enjoyable without all the friends I have made here!

Billy

hello bill. you must be chomping at the bit to get up here and get started...or to even get up here! throughout the winter months, i had various projects going on at the lake. (a three season, non-winterized cabin) today, i should finish up the tongue and groove paneling! after that, trim and cabinets....then flooring. put cedar in the bedroom, pine everywhere else. had to haul everything in by hand as the road is not plowed in winter.
looking forward to your project start and more pics

You know it Dave

I sure am ready to head to the woods. I can't leave the house long unless its going to be warm. I am letting my propane tank run empty so I can tell them to pick it up and get it out of here. And there are just fumes in it now.

Hope ya didn't have to haul it far that stuff gets heavy! Sounds like you are moving along and getting a lot done. Have fun!

Billy

Congrats and good luck on moving on UP, Billy. I'm looking forward to moving back permanently myself (already have the house) - too bad it won't be for 15-20 years!

We learned a lot the hard way building that house, I hope to never again build a house but if I did I might finally get it right. But if you're doing all or most of the work yourself you'll avoid all of the biggest headaches we faced. (Crooked/incompetent builder; mostly my own fault I guess for going with the lowball bid.) Probably best you're planning to hire an architect; Michigan requires some sort of state approval for all new house plans. Our's was just a customization of a standard modular model, and it still took months to get approval and almost delayed the whole thing.

Thanks DI

I don't know what we are going to do now. We still plan to build a place but it will probably be a cabin. My Dad died last sunday. His house burnt and is severely damaged. So now we are dealing with loosing Dad and what to do with his house.

Billy

Wow, that's awful. My condolences.

Sorry for your loss Billy. I'm sure your dad took a lot of pride in the joy in his family's faces that we can't miss in your pictures.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Billy . . . I don't imagine there is a whole lot we can do for you . . . but if there is anything you need let us know.

Thanks you all for your concern and sympathy. Its hard to believe it happened. Both my Brothers my Sister and I are all working together and helping each other out. And one Uncle that lives close by is doing a lot to help out too. Met with the Fire Inspectors and Insurance Inspectors today. They said its not obvious exactly what happened or where the fire started and we are not likely to find out. The general area the fire started was by a cedar cloths closet by the laundry. There was no smoke in Dad's lungs so he died just before or as the fire started so it is unlikely he suffered at all. Our first though was that it was the wood stove but while the outside was burnt there was unburnt wood in it.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Thanks you all for your concern and sympathy. Its hard to believe it happened. Both my Brothers my Sister and I are all working together and helping each other out. And one Uncle that lives close by is doing a lot to help out too. Met with the Fire Inspectors and Insurance Inspectors today. They said its not obvious exactly what happened or where the fire started and we are not likely to find out. The general area the fire started was by a cedar cloths closet by the laundry. There was no smoke in Dad's lungs so he died just before or as the fire started so it is unlikely he suffered at all. Our first though was that it was the wood stove but while the outside was burnt there was unburnt wood in it.

Billy

If there is one redeeming thing about a death caused by smoke inhalation it's that many succumb to the carbon monoxide in the smoke which renders them unconscious . . . that said . . . in my mind . . . there are very few good ways to die . . . especially when it is the death of a loved one and death is unexpected. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Billy.

And as reminder during this tough time . . . make sure your smoke and CO detectors are working . . . Billy didn't mention if there were any in the home . . . and honestly, they're not the end-all, be-all safety device (truthfully the best fire safety device -- and rarely seen in home use -- are home sprinklers) . . . but having just one working smoke detector increases the odds of survival by 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.