Would a 32" fireplace width be OK for Jotul 550 Rockland? Brochure says it requires 33", but stove o

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeaster1

Oct 10, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would a 32" fireplace width be OK for Jotul 550 Rockland? Brochure says it requires 33", but stove only measures 30"!!
Would a 32" fireplace width be OK for Jotul 550 Rockland? Brochure says it requires 33", but stove only measures 30"!!

I realize there are minium clearances of fireplace openings for a reason!! However, as the brochure says the insert measure 30" wide, would we be able to cheat a bit - a half inch less on each side. The sides are brick / non -combustible.

All other clearances are OK. Finally, the Jotul is about $1100 more than the Kodiak 1700, but has a Cast surround. Whay else am I buying for the extra cash, besides the look?? Atre that much better quality?

Thanks in advance!!

I checked out the manual, after the issues I had getting mine in - we had to trim the surround 1/2 inch each side because we missed a measurement. The 33" is to allow for cord routing for the blower (see page 7 - get the manual on the Jotul site)

The are a couple of Rockland owners out there - how tight is the cord guys?

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the reply. Read some of your posts on your liner size, smoke issues. How did you make out in the end? I am in the Annapolis Valley as well, and would like to leran form your installer / store choce issues, if you don't mind sending me a PM!

It seems to me that with the width of 30" in the manual, there would be enough "room to play" for cords with having a 32" wide fireplace opening, instead of the required spec of 33" in the manual!

Can anyone with experience installing one of these comment on it??

Status
Not open for further replies.