Would this trailer work for a wood hauler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers I've seen for oak: red oak is about 6300 pounds/cord green and 5500 pounds dry (20%). So your 2,000 pound axle will hold about a third of a cord. If I was on any other site I would say it could haul a face cord. (4'x8'x18")

KaptJaq

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Yea it would work ok! I have a 5 x 8 and pull it behind a Cherokee.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
sold!

Offer $500 and go from there. Pretty nice unit. I have 2 single axles and a tandem. I use my singles way more than I do the tandem. Easier and I don't ever need to haul Cords at a time.

Thanks guys... I'm seeing some even nicer ones that I know I can get for about $500. I just wasn't sure how much I could load them with.
I figure If I load my truck AND the trailer that will keep me busy for a few days!

I have a 3500# single axle. Hold about 1/2 cord green birch & the ATV.
Some in the truck.
3/4 +/- cord per trip, better than the 1/3 cord if & was just using the truck.
Full ld.JPG

I did upgrade to a dual axle , 7,000#, over winter, full cord & the ATV on the trailer now.
Just gonna be a longer day to get it filled. LOL :)
Yet to see how it works out.

Reactions: Wildo
Poor Donnie:)
He has it bad!!;)
He will need an ATV next to hall some wood out !;)
Then a bigger truck to haul the wood, Bigger trailer,ATV, the multiple saws etc.;lol
Then he will ask about splitters!<>

Did you buy it yet? I'm not so sure that is very heavy duty going only by the fact that the neck is just a single piece. That to me looks like the weak spot.

That trailer would prob double your wood hauling capacity per trip. You would still have to be careful not to overload it. As a fellow mid-size hauler, it is real easy to overdo it with the heavier hardwoods. If your Ranger is a V6, it should have no trouble with a bigger trailer. 5x10 or 6x10 utility trailer with a 3500lb axle (2990 GVWR typically) is about perfect on that size truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.