X27 or x25 short people?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcback

Feeling the Heat
Feb 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
So I'm looking to get a splitting axe for father's day. I usually use an old hydraulic splitter that my grandpa built. But it's a shared unit between my father and I. He has the space to keep it shelters long term so Its only at my house for about a week a year.
Now that I am trying to do wood burning right I want to be splitting my wood year long when I have 20-30 minutes or when my kids are occupied in the yard.
Enter the splitting axe. I see the x27 almost always recommended but when you guys start talking about height im pretty short.
5'6" is that to short for a 36" Handel? Is there a way for me to measure what I should use? Or use a shallow chopping block perhaps?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have asked myself the same question, and also on this forum. I am 5'8" and consider myself a shorty. I finally decided to get the X27. It works very well for my height and I am very pleased with my choice. Elsewhere on the forum you can find threads about this topic. Type X27 in the search box and you will find it somewhere.

I am 5' 9" and use the x27. Works great.

I'm 5'3" and the x-27 works great for me. No chance of hitting my leg or foot and the added length gives a bit more force to the strike.

Reactions: Lcback
I'm 5'3" and the x-27 works great for me. No chance of hitting my leg or foot and the added length gives a bit more force to the strike.
Thanks glad to hear it. Do you know how big your chopping block is?

I would get the x27

However if you have large rounds especially tough hard woods a traditional generic ( cheap box store version) 8lb maul is handy to have to compliment the fiskers.

I consider myself a fairly strong person and I split more wood faster with the lighter splitting axe but can bust open stubborn rounds better with a maul. Stubborn being large knotted oak rounds 2 feet or bigger. But the heavy maul tires you out quick

Just nice to have both a heavy maul and splitting axe to go together if you have big rounds

Reactions: Lcback
Thanks glad to hear it. Do you know how big your chopping block is?

I have a little bit of a different set up--similar to the video below. I'll put a short block on the ground (about 6-12") and put 2 tires together. I tie the tires with a piece of rope to keep the top one from slipping off. Then I have at it with the x27. My splitting speed has gone up, busted shins from flying blocks is down, and I'm a happy guy!

I LOVE my X27 tho I am 6' tall

Status
Not open for further replies.