Xtrordinair 44 Elite - Disconnect blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
Can the blower on the Xtrordinair 44 Elite Wood Fireplace be disconnected? It heats the room even on low too hot and doesnt have an off switch. Is the blower needed for any safety reasons? Keeping something cool, etc?

Id love to just disconnect it and let the heat naturally flow into the room like a regular fireplace.

Thanks.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I say go ahead and unplug it, or simply turn the blower speed down to a minimum.
If you experience a power outage, & you needed to continue heating, would you not use it?

Reactions: Jotel me this
I say go ahead and unplug it, or simply turn the blower speed down to a minimum.
If you experience a power outage, & you needed to continue heating, would you not use it?
I checked the manual and it says during power outages to build small to medium fires to prevent over-firing.

Of course, they dont say anything about running it without the blower for long periods of time.

Thanks.

Well you won't get much heat w/o the blower. Mine is on a light switch, so I could turn it off I wanted too, but I never do. When blower is on it keeps the underneath of mantle cooler, and TV above it from any concerns.

Well you won't get much heat w/o the blower. Mine is on a light switch, so I could turn it off I wanted too, but I never do. When blower is on it keeps the underneath of mantle cooler, and TV above it from any concerns.
Im trying to figure out how to wire it to a switch. May use a toggle switch by the speed control for the blower on the bottom right of the face plate. Have you had any problems with making a good seal around the doors / glass? No matter what I do, I keep getting soot build up on the glass, more than likely caused by a bad seal. And I even bought new gaskets for the door and glass straight from the manufacturer. Im thinking of squeezing some high temp caulk around the door. (?)

glass.jpg

The chase was already wired for the ZC prefab that I took out, and had it's own switch for the old squirrel cage. And I saw the the soot, it is a seal problem that you'll have to keep messing with, I don't know any tricks there. When I clean the glass, I don't get close to the gasket anymore either, once it's good you're good and try not to move it.

I also have too much heat coming from the 44. I'm afraid to run it with the blower off and possible overheating the unit.
My blower is in the basement directly under the unit. Would there be a problem turning the blower around so that room air would be drawn into the face of the 44 and blown out into the basement? I installed the 44 more for ambiance and emergency heat source. It doesn't take much of a fire to get the living room up to an unbearable temperature. My thought is if i can heat the basement by blowing air the opposite direction that it would generate a nice even floor heat in the living space. Thanks.

Turn the blower as low as it can go and burn smaller loads. If my fan is off the mantle gets very hot as it just radiates up, so I always have it on. Hmmm, not sure about reversing the blower, maybe contact Travis.