Yet another wood score. (w/pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Just started bucking a area of wood that a friend gave to me. Hes building a house and had to have some trees taken out to make room. So me and friend are working our way through a total of 7 full grown trees. Six oaks (white and red) and one shagbark hickory. We have gone through 3 trees so far. I didnt get any pics on the first day, but will post some next time I go back, (once it stops raining). I figure if we get all we expect to me and my buddy should have 2-3 yrs worth of wood.

Well here ya go. As soon as the ground dries up Ill be back at it.
Some 32" rounds to be split
http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/42042/2589550400057664442S500x500Q85.jpg

My daughter is 4'4"
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/43810/2666755680057664442S500x500Q85.jpg

Me standing on top of the tree looking down.
http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/44043/2348501920057664442S500x500Q85.jpg

My son who is 5'5". gives you some idea of length.
http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/32102/2804214870057664442S500x500Q85.jpg

Pic's would be good!

Jamess67 said:
Just started bucking a area of wood that a friend gave to me. Hes building a house and had to have some trees taken out to make room. So me and friend are working our way through a total of 7 full grown trees. Six oaks (white and red) and one shagbark hickory. We have gone through 3 trees so far. I didnt get any pics on the first day, but will post some next time I go back, (once it stops raining). I figure if we get all we expect to me and my buddy should have 2-3 yrs worth of wood.

Holy smokes, 2-3 years worth from 7 trees?? How big are these bad boys? I've been getting just shy of 2 cord out of every 6-7 mature cherry tress I take. They are running 16" diameter and maybe 40' tall.....

If you burn half a cord a year, I guess you would be OK.

KC

James, that is a good score for sure. Take all you can get. Also realize that wood probably will not be ready to burn this fall or winter. If you can stack it for a year it will give you much more heat then and little creosote.

stee6043 said:
Holy smokes, 2-3 years worth from 7 trees?? How big are these bad boys? I've been getting just shy of 2 cord out of every 6-7 mature cherry tress I take. They are running 16" diameter and maybe 40' tall.....

I'm not sure what James is dealing with, but around these parts a full grown white oak "can" easily run 40+" DBH and be 80+ feet tall. Some of the branches that I have taken from oak trees were in the 16" range. And the hickory could be a big sucker too.

Table II. Firewood cutter’s rule of thumb.
Tree Size Number of Trees
(diameter at breast height) Per Cord
5=46-55
6=21-33
7=14-18
8=9-14
9=6-9
10=4-6
16=2
22=1

40" DBH should end up well over 2 cords per tree.

Jags - I think I am missing something on your table and comment about $" DBH being well over 2 cords per tree.
The way I read the table (and I may be totally wrong, which is why I am asking) is that if you had a 40" DBH tree it would fall between 5 and 6 trees to make 1 cord ( 5 trees for 46-55DBH and 6 trees for 21-33 DBH). Thinking about it, I must be interpretting it wrong as 5-6 trees of that size has to be more than 1 cord....can you explain?

Got Wood said:
Jags - I think I am missing something on your table and comment about $" DBH being well over 2 cords per tree.
The way I read the table (and I may be totally wrong, which is why I am asking) is that if you had a 40" DBH tree it would fall between 5 and 6 trees to make 1 cord ( 5 trees for 46-55DBH and 6 trees for 21-33 DBH). Thinking about it, I must be interpretting it wrong as 5-6 trees of that size has to be more than 1 cord....can you explain?

I think you are looking at the chart backwards (also, it did not cut and paste the format of the original very well). As an example...1 tree with a 22" DBH will yeild 1 cord. Or at least that is how I read it. DBH on left -# of trees to make a cord on right.

Duh...that makes a lot more sense.... thanks.... I think I need a beer....

Got Wood said:
.... I think I need a beer....

Me too, but it doesn't have anything to do with a firewood chart. :lol:

Ill get pics today. Thanks Jags, the tree bases are every bit of 36". My cord count was just and estimate, however, looks like I came pretty close. One trunk I am working on is easily 32" and the rest are bigger. I guess pics are worth 1000 words. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.