your opinions on a decent gas log splitter please

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Mine has a square air box with depressed area where a threaded shaft sticks through the cover in the center of the depressed area. There is a wingnut that screws down on the shaft. Water gets funneled down into the depression, past the wing nut and into the air box onto the Air filter cover (which was covered with "white corrosion" when I got it). I just slid an Oring down the shaft with a washer and that sealed it up when I cranked down on the wingnut.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Mine has a square air box with depressed area where a threaded shaft sticks through the cover in the center of the depressed area. There is a wingnut that screws down on the shaft. Water gets funneled down into the depression, past the wing nut and into the air box onto the Air filter cover (which was covered with "white corrosion" when I got it). I just slid an Oring down the shaft with a washer and that sealed it up when I cranked down on the wingnut.
yep, completely different than mine.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
Speeco is pretty good, and I have lots of time on two of them. I built my own splitter years ago. 20 tons and it has split everything. A few pieces have to get turned to "go" but they split. I wore out the old briggs and replaced it with a 3hp electric motor. I also made a 4 way wedge for it and that didn't slow it down at all. It is at least 3x faster now and is my preferred splitter of choice over my unmodified 22 ton speeco.

Reactions: D8Chumley

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Speeco is pretty good, and I have lots of time on two of them. I built my own splitter years ago. 20 tons and it has split everything. A few pieces have to get turned to "go" but they split. I wore out the old briggs and replaced it with a 3hp electric motor. I also made a 4 way wedge for it and that didn't slow it down at all. It is at least 3x faster now and is my preferred splitter of choice over my unmodified 22 ton speeco.
I liked my Speeco as well. Although I don't think you can get them anymore.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I liked my Speeco as well. Although I don't think you can get them anymore.
No more huskee/speeco? Surely they just have a new name. Mine from 2010 has been a peach. No problems at all. Wore out one love joy spider. Flathead Briggs vertical shaft is fine.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
No more huskee/speeco? Surely they just have a new name. Mine from 2010 has been a peach. No problems at all. Wore out one love joy spider. Flathead Briggs vertical shaft is fine.
My flathead was old when I got it and I reground the cam. It lasted another 10 years of hard use making 7-8 hp.
I don't miss the noise, vibration, or exhaust though. I use my 20 ton electric unless I am out away from power, and even then, the speeco is used mostly to break down the rounds so they cam be moved to the electric splitter.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
As far as I know, unless someone can find them somewhere.......

ZZ Tom

Burning Hunk
Feb 3, 2014
SL,UT
www.garnerfoto.com
I picked up a Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton splitter from Lowes about 4 years ago. Splits just about everything except maybe that super twisted yard tree crotch of elm. It's a little difficult to start cold, 4 or 5 pulls, but starts first pull if warm. No leaks anywhere. Oh yeah, and made in the USA, next door in Colorado.
Anyways, I really like it, and I'd buy it again.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson

walhondingnashua

Feeling the Heat
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
27 Performance Built from Lowes splits any hardwood I throw at it. In doing my research, I figured out many of them are the same machine with very few differences (engine maybe) just with different colors for different distributors. It sounds like for your needs, just look for the best price you can get and take care of the engine. Other than that, most of the other parts are interchangeable and should last pretty well.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
27 Performance Built from Lowes splits any hardwood I throw at it. In doing my research, I figured out many of them are the same machine with very few differences (engine maybe) just with different colors for different distributors. It sounds like for your needs, just look for the best price you can get and take care of the engine. Other than that, most of the other parts are interchangeable and should last pretty well.
Your splitter is made by YTL International. Same company who is now contracted to build Tractor Supply's splitters to their specs and badged CountyLine.

I'd just personally stay away from the GC(V) line of Honda's.....uniblock construction (no removable head, just one solid piece of aluminum), aluminum bore, resin (plastic) cam, thin cam belt, etc. Just a cheaply made engine period riding the coat tails of the good GX(V) series. I'm not sure they are even put on anything but low end lawn mowers and power washers though.

Reactions: sloeffle