036 Pro cold weather shutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Had my 036 Pro out for the first time in several weeks, and it s end to be having a fuel delivery problem. Spools up okay, but no power under load. Will have to dig into that.

However, when I had the air cleaner cover off (about all I was prepared to do in the woods), I noticed there’s no cold weather shutter. I see the little axle nub in the plastic top case, where one could ride, but no shutter.

Can someone confirm the 036 Pro should have one? This is weird.

Pretty sure it should have one...I picked up a 036 Pro back in the summer at auction to resale and it had one in it...all of my Pro Stihls have them.

Can you get a photo, Tar? I've been searching online, and not coming up with much. Found this video review, and if you go to 1:15, you can see his is missing as well!

I am researching it and getting conflicting info. one article stated the shutter was not located in the position as page 37 of the manual states but rather to the right side of the plug? I know mine was located top dead center...2 versions or mine wasn't a Pro?"

Nevermind, I’m a moron. Mine was exactly as the manual states. I was looking for something that would cover the hole in the shroud between cylinder and air cleaner for summer, and open for winter. I never thought to look in the air cleaner cover!

This is my annual lesson in RTFM, although in my defense, I bought this saw used without a manual.

Thanks for looking, anyway!

Reactions: redktmrider
Thanks for the chuckle...:) We all have those moments...

On the plus side, I dumped the October gas, installed the cold air shutter and fresh gas, and it's running like a champ again. I'm surprised gas can go bad that fast, but we're in a new Ethanol-based world.

Try the canned gas that Stihl sells reading the information from the labels sold me

My 036 Pro didn’t have a shutter either. It does now. I just ordered the part and installed it. The owners manual that came with it describes the use and need of the shutter, so now we’re official!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ashful