1st Scrounge Ever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper44

Oct 26, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Well had a random day off due to mandatory furlough days. Took the kids to the park that is basically across the street from our house this morning. Noticed a decent size pile of ash logs. The park guys were and are still cutting, decided to ask what they are doing with it. They said take it if you want to, there's only one other 80 year old man that does. Well I figured it was too easy to pass up being just down the road. Ran a few errands and loaded up my trailer and kubota with pallet forks on it. The old man was already there cutting! Unfortunately he was cutting up the nicest 20 foot logs to toss into his pickup. I had eyed them up thinking this will be quick and easy! But this is still pretty good, all cut didnt have to get off my tractor at all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436392662.376955.jpg

Nice score ! Good on ya for helping that gentleman :)

White Ash is always a good scrounge. :cool:
Said he burns 18 face cords on an average winter.
Tell him it's time to get a modern stove and cut his wood usage in half. ==c But tell him he's gonna need dry wood, too; Cutting now for this winter ain't gonna get it.

Stopped in on my way to work this morning to see how much more is there. Looks like he went back and did quite a bit more cutting, but still a lot for the taking!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436449532.884104.jpg

I would "burn" a vacation day and snatch all that wood up.

Honestly I can probably get it all in a hour. Myself driving the truck and trailer and a body following me the 500 yards back to my house with the tractor to unload.
I am just having a hard time feeling bad for the older gentleman. This is about as easy as it gets for free without it being dropped off. Now he did say he already has enough wood for the next 2 years. But just like me figures it's easy to get.

Like I told my best friend when he started dating a new girl and didn't make time to cut wood " I hope hugs and kisses will keep you warm this winter" but seriously get while the getting is good in my opinion, maybe offer a load to the older guy, lengths dropped off to his house

Like I told my best friend when he started dating a new girl and didn't make time to cut wood " I hope hugs and kisses will keep you warm this winter" but seriously get while the getting is good in my opinion, maybe offer a load to the older guy, lengths dropped off to his house

Thought about this but he lives a few miles away. Would have to get the tractor there.

Take as much as you can. If the older gentlemen shows up again offer to help load his pickup.

The trees didnt look that bug eaten. I dont have EAB here yet but my Ash trees are attractive to other wood boring bugs. Gypsy moth larvae and such. There are others that bore the sapwood. Those trees look pretty clean.

Yea these trees do look better than most. EAB has been here for 10 years. Most are very dead and have been for years. A state park 20 miles from me had 600 trees takin down this winter. They are becoming a hazard and starting to fall. My issue on my property is most are covered with poison ivy.
Below is from one tree I cut and split one day last December. You can see a few rounds still. The tree was bout 80' and 30" diameter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436475208.778441.jpg

A few more cans of lite and you will be evenly matching the amount of splits...:cool:

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
That's a great haul. That's going to make a nice pile of splits that will be ready before you know it.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Well finally got a afternoon to spend processing on this scrounge, this will most likely be for 16-17. All was standing dead ash, fresh splits were coming out at about 22% with some real wet ones here and there. Not bad for afternoon after work. Went from log form to bucked and split tonight. I know it's just a pile but anyone have a guess if this will hit a cord?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442969829.862032.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442969854.395769.jpg

Fond Ash scrounge memories. Spent 2 days getting this scrounge. I gave a bunch to the two owners where wood located, one owner I split and stacked for them. They were blown away. That's how I roll, always leave a good memory behind.ridgefieldwood.jpg

I'd spend my time moving wood to my place instead of processing. Get it while you can, then process later is my rule. You never know when the parks department will decide to have it all hauled away or chipped.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.