2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend I was up in the wilderness using a griphoist to help move 18-24" timbers. Awesome tool but it takes a few people to pump that baby.

I googled "griphoist" only to find something that I've dropped more than a few beads of sweat on. Around here it's called a German hoist, although I have no idea why.

Please pm me your dealer name and I will look into this.

BKVP
NOW I understand why people were saying contact BKVP! Thanks for being on here and being proactive. I have reached resolution with that place. I called an ex installer of theirs, and he got it fixed in about ten minutes flat. So what is going to happen is, he is going to install it for me. I won't have to pay the install fee, and the 400 dollar a month billboard, and also retainer for lawyer. My installer is getting an extra five dollars cash, from but he doesn't know it. This is heartening to see a young man still act like one. He is getting referred by me, and will be doing all my furnace work on new homes and remodels if he wants. I never charge a dime extra for my subs work.
I appreciate your offer, and would humbly take you up on it, but the installer also pushes Blaze Kings, and asked if I would not pursue further chastisement of that place. I understand what he means, I wouldn't try to steer customers to a different TOWN. And after all the Ashley is the only stove I want.
Quite often I get calls from people just looking for information on wood burners. I will steer them to Blaze King, but I won't lie too them about our dealer. I will tell them to call my potential, new sub hvac guy. He can install their blaze kings.

I googled "griphoist" only to find something that I've dropped more than a few beads of sweat on. Around here it's called a German hoist, although I have no idea why.
Here's a link. They come in various sizes. We had the 1 ton and 2 ton units. Sometimes we also included a horiz. chain come along too and pulley blocks when needed.
http://www.tractel.com/us/series.php?id_serie=47

Woody, I did not require an install in 10 days. It is Sept in Montana. I have customers that call in October and want a foundation poured instantly. I'm sympathetic. I wanted not to be lied too repeatedly.

As far as the yuppie thing, I'm sorry. I forget it is abrasive, and not politically correct. As far as Missoula, and Billings not being urban.....I disagree. I don't know what PNW is, but if it's in Pennsylvania I understand your view point. I would never want to see your idea of urban. I wouldn't want to live within 30 miles of either metropolis.

Unfortunately, this kind of unprofessional "professional" installer is a huge problem these days and it's not limited to the hearth industry. It's rampant across pretty much all trades. My theory is all the money is flowing to big business like cable, wireless, loans, banking credit cards, phone providers, big construction, law firms, Wall Street and equities, CEO's and management, etc. and there's not much left for the working guy. So you get inexperienced youngsters or adults forced into a trade they have no background in. And it often doesn't pay enough to really live on because people need to buy insurance, healthcare, education, etc. Even some people who have been in the hearth industry for years are not that good because, for whatever reason, they never developed good critical thinking skills or just don't care.

Why don't you buy the stove for self-pick-up and install it yourself. That's what I did and I'm confident I have a better install than if one of the local dealers sent one of their "professionals" out.
:rolleyes:

Update on my leaky/missed weld, Blaze King Canada called today and said they would be in contact with my local dealer and send a new stove to me due to the weld issue.

Both Tara and the tech guy were more then pleasant from Penticiton. I offered to have the unit welded locally but they would rather send a new unit which I completely understand.

burned it a few times with foil tape on the hole anyways as its been below freezing at night, with just a slight odor.
BKVP wants to analyze the welds is my guess!

I've picked up on a thing or two from you over the years.;)

BTW, I'm having trouble finding a forum where us heat pump aficionados can gather and discuss our setups on a cool autumn day.;lol
Heat pumps suck! There I said it! High efficiency gas furnace is where it’s at, I’ll never go all electric again!

Heat pumps suck! There I said it! High efficiency gas furnace is where it’s at, I’ll never go all electric again!
Not my experience at all. Ours has been great for the past 11 yrs.. We had a 92% efficiency propane furnace before that. It sucked money like there was no tomorrow.

Not my experience at all. Ours has been great for the past 11 yrs.. We had a 92% efficiency propane furnace before that. It sucked money like there was no tomorrow.
Perhaps in your climate, not the case where it’s cold though. They will run your bank account dry around here, even with a stove burning downstairs...

Reactions: Ashful
Some of us don't have access to natural gas, that's why I have two wood burners!:)

Depends. The latest generation units are very efficient. Some mini-splits work well down to about 0º. Our system is central and 11 yrs old. It's good to about 25º, but I don't take it that low.

In this case however we are talking about running the heat pump in 40-50º weather. In our location I barely notice the difference in the electrical bill. Seriously, it's less than a $10 difference in a month. When daytime temps drop to about 48º we start burning wood. That's usually Sept and part of Oct. and from March or April onward.

No natural gas here so propain is the alternative and that is really expensive.

Last edited:
Depends. The latest generation units are very efficient. Some mini-splits work well down to about 0º.

In this case however we are talking about running the heat pump in 40-50º weather. In our location I barely notice the difference in the electrical bill. Seriously, it's less than a $10 difference in a month. When daytime temps drop to about 48º we start burning wood.

No natural gas here so propain is the alternative and that is really expensive.
I paid .93 a gallon for LP. Last season, pretty cheap! It’s only expensive if you don’t plan ahead, or need refilled midwinter. I could go 2 years on a tank, just don’t want to be one of those unprepared people paying $4 a gallon...

I paid .93 a gallon for LP. Last season, pretty cheap! It’s only expensive if you don’t plan ahead, or need refilled midwinter. I could go 2 years on a tank, just don’t want to be one of those unprepared people paying $4 a gallon...
In our area it is still over $3 a gallon. I haven't seen .93 a gallon here in 25 yrs. We use propain for the cook stove top and that's it. Also have a large reserve tank for the generator. It was $3.49/gal when I filled it last summer.

In our area it is still over $3 a gallon. I haven't seen .93 a gallon here in 25 yrs. We use propain for the cook stove top and that's it. Also have a large reserve tank for the generator. It was $3.49/gal when I filled it last summer.
That’s crazy! I’ve Never paid more than $1.15 a gallon for it. Natural is even cheaper!

I can only move it right inside the door with the tractor...no farther

*YOU* can only get it right inside the door with the tractor.
Image1943437126.jpg

That’s crazy! I’ve Never paid more than $1.15 a gallon for it. Natural is even cheaper!
Natural gas is cheaper here ,but your gas bill isnt. Until they add a myraid of additional chargers (meter CH , distribution CH ,taxes ,fees) on. i recently had a gas bill of $68 of which i only used $15 worth of gas. Thats a heck of a delivery charge. Anything that dont come thru a meter is cheaper.

Reactions: Beldin and lsucet
Natural gas is cheaper here ,but your gas bill isnt. Until they add a myraid of additional chargers (meter CH , distribution CH ,taxes ,fees) on. i recently had a gas bill of $68 of which i only used $15 worth of gas. Thats a heck of a delivery charge. Anything that dont come thru a meter is cheaper.
Our rural electricity is nearly double what people in town pay. Its out of control!

You completely right. Now in the summer at the house in town we just cook and the water heater and we pay in the$50s every month and that's cause we are into a budget. I don't spend 25 gallons of propane a month during summer time at the ranch at all under the same activities.
For winters is another story but still. Taxes and fees are ridiculous on NG.

You completely right. Now in the summer at the house in town we just cook and the water heater and we pay in the$50s every month and that's cause we are into a budget. I don't spend 25 gallons of propane a month during summer time at the ranch at all under the same activities.
For winters is another story but still. Taxes and fees are ridiculous on NG.
That’s a lot of usage if you aren’t heatin with it. Especially in a second home. Have you verified you don’t have a leak somewhere?

Woody, I did not require an install in 10 days. It is Sept in Montana. I have customers that call in October and want a foundation poured instantly. I'm sympathetic. I wanted not to be lied too repeatedly.

OK, I don't know what happened or why they didn't want to install your stove. All I know is you think they lied. It doesn't make any sense to me.

As far as Missoula, and Billings not being urban.....I disagree. I don't know what PNW is, but if it's in Pennsylvania I understand your view point. I would never want to see your idea of urban. I wouldn't want to live within 30 miles of either metropolis.

I live near Canada in the Pacific Northwest. I don't mind visiting an urban area for a few hours or maybe even two or three nights but I could never live in one. Too many people. I've been to Missoula a number of times over the last 30 years (and Billings twice). I used to live in Whitefish. I like visiting Missoula, friendly place. There are a few yuppies there but I'm pretty sure none of them work in a woodstove store! Besides, I don't find the term "Yuppie" offensive at all. I've met plenty of smart, fun people that WERE yuppies! Nothing wrong with that.

That’s a lot of usage if you aren’t heatin with it. Especially in a second home. Have you verified you don’t have a leak somewhere?
Budget works like that they go by the avarage you spend in a year period and adjust what you are going to pay for next year. It can go up or down. Everything depends how much you use the previous year cycle. I think that's the way it works.
I am spending lately a lot of time at the ranch cause of the remodeling and some other stuff that I am doing. I cook and everything the same that in the other house. And I am better with propane at the ranch that what I am paying every month in town because taxes and fees. I just top it off once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.