2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just comparing what I paid in town and how many gallons of LP I can buy with that money. Let's take heat pump and LP out of the way that way Ashful stop tripping;lol. That's why I went into BK land, avoiding the tripping;lol.

OK, I don't know what happened or why they didn't want to install your stove. All I know is you think they lied. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I live near Canada in the Pacific Northwest. I don't mind visiting an urban area for a few hours or maybe even two or three nights but I could never live in one. Too many people. I've been to Missoula a number of times over the last 30 years (and Billings twice). I used to live in Whitefish. I like visiting Missoula, friendly place. There are a few yuppies there but I'm pretty sure none of them work in a woodstove store! Besides, I don't find the term "Yuppie" offensive at all. I've met plenty of smart, fun people that WERE yuppies! Nothing wrong with that.
It doesn't have to make sense to you Woody. It made sense to both parties involved I guess. I already apologized about the yuppie comment. I forget how connected people are while on the internet. I'm thinking we are polar opposites is all. I joined to learn whats new and see what's going on out there. I fell into a rabbit hole instead. I'll leave you to it, and see myself out the door

Can someone direct me to the BK thread? I tripped into heatpump and LP land. ;lol

Oh, you noticed that also? ;hm

OK, some BK boosters might not like this but, as much as I like my new BK, I think facts, truth and real information is always more valuable than "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". This is not an attempt to disparage what I think is probably one of the greatest wood-burning stove line-ups available today, rather an attempt to bring out more info, more knowledge and more impressions of what makes a catalytic stove, especially BK catalytic stoves, not only different and better that the competition but also what could be better. It's fine to mention the good but lets do our best to also highlight the bad, and if my early experiences are representative, the bad is mostly minor nitpicks, not major flaws. A better way to put this is what could BK do to make their stoves a little better?

Any ideas or is everyone so enamored with whatever model BK they have that they can't find a single flaw, nit-pick or suggestion?

It doesn't have to make sense to you Woody. It made sense to both parties involved I guess.

My apologies, I thought you were trying to relate your experience. I wouldn't have commented if I understood you were not trying to convey anything other than general displeasure with things.

OK, some BK boosters might not like this but, as much as I like my new BK, I think facts, truth and real information is always more valuable than "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". This is not an attempt to disparage what I think is probably one of the greatest wood-burning stove line-ups available today, rather an attempt to bring out more info, more knowledge and more impressions of what makes a catalytic stove, especially BK catalytic stoves, not only different and better that the competition but also what could be better. It's fine to mention the good but lets do our best to also highlight the bad, and if my early experiences are representative, the bad is mostly minor nitpicks, not major flaws. A better way to put this is what could BK do to make their stoves a little better?

Any ideas or is everyone so enamored with whatever model BK they have that they can't find a single flaw, nit-pick or suggestion?
BK and BMW are alike. They don't have the best look, they look outdated , they break like anything else but for some reason not many people want to go back into anything else.lol always there is room for improvement that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: redktmrider

I have two gripes with my pair of BK stoves, but before I go into them, I'll say that BK is already working on addressing both of them. So, while no stove is perfect, I couldn't have bought them from a better company.

1. The ash plug in both of my Ashfords is not centered over the ash pan, but right over the rear edge of the ash pan. So, when I try to use it, I end up with a good portion of the hot coals on the floor under the stove. My stove shop states that's because the floor was welded in backwards on the early 30.1's, but I do not know if this is gospel. In any case, BK is sending me parts to correct the issue, but I was told to be prepared for a fairly major tear-down. Their F-up, but they're supporting the solution, so it's hard to complain about that.

2. My combustor seems to clog whenever I run the stove on high for any period of time. Again, BK is very interested in this, as they report having not seen it before. They're going to be working with me, when we get some weather cold enough to warrant running a pair of Ashford 30's on high, to investigate and resolve this issue.

So, I hold BK in similar regard to Woodstock. They have some of the best stoves on the market, but more importantly, an interest in resolving any of the issues that will inevitably arise in such a business.

1) welded in bypass gasket retainers. Those things melt and should be replaceable with bolts.
2) door gasket lies on top of glass retaining bolts. Bad design. Makes both seals harder to get right. Bigger window at the expense of reduced function.

After 5 years that's all I can think of right now.

My only gripes are the mandatory dealer interaction and the squirrel cage fan on the insert. It's functional, but part of its range (~25% of the dial in the medium-high zone) was rattling loudly after 1 season, and it is not improving with age.

Fixing a dying fan isn't a major project, but it's not a cheap stove either. ;)

I haven't reached out to BK about it because I don't want to keep putting in replacement fans; I'd rather figure out what the issue is and fix it once. (Besides, they're not a fan company; their troubleshooting procedure for that part is probably 'clean it and lube it, then put in a new one'.)

The fan really isn't a big deal for me, but the dealer thing is.

Either way, it's an amazing wood stove.

Reactions: Blazing
My only gripes are the mandatory dealer interaction and the squirrel cage fan on the insert. It's functional, but part of its range (~25% of the dial in the medium-high zone) was rattling loudly after 1 season, and it is not improving with age.

Fixing a dying fan isn't a major project, but it's not a cheap stove either. ;)

I haven't reached out to BK about it because I don't want to keep putting in replacement fans; I'd rather figure out what the issue is and fix it once. (Besides, they're not a fan company; their troubleshooting procedure for that part is probably 'clean it and lube it, then put in a new one'.)

The fan really isn't a big deal for me, but the dealer thing is.

Either way, it's an amazing wood stove.
An out of balance fan can vibrate strongly at certain rpm. Has the fan been thoroughly cleaned? Dust accumulation on the blades can cause an imbalance.

My biggest problem with my Ashford 30, i have been thinking about this all day, well, umm, i really wish, don't laugh now, but i really wish i could wax it to give the enamel a little more gleam.

My biggest problem with my Ashford 30, i have been thinking about this all day, well, umm, i really wish, don't laugh now, but i really wish i could wax it to give the enamel a little more gleam.
Poindexter...I was looking for you in the Clean Air Fairbanks conference on Friday and Saturday. Didn't see you.

You were probably working.

You were probably working.
I actually built a cinderblock bbq pit this weekend, the better to smoke up my airshed with the scent of dry hickory and cooking beef instead of burning wet birch like my back fence neighbor.

I participate on this site for that very reason.

We are always improving on function, emissions and efficiency.

I cannot provide details on specific changes, those are absolutely propriety. This is after all a public forum.

Over the past 8 years, I believe forum members, regardless of what stove they own, can vouch we have shared a substantial amount of technical information and experience.

These forums are filled not with "BK boosters", rather actual owners that share their real world experiences with our products. Both positive and negative.

We have operated in full disclosure, the Princess with the loose door glass to name one.

Lastly, as a manufacturer, my comments have to be crafted carefully so as to fully address the topic and remain mindful of site policies regarding "selling".

Thank you for your purchase of the Chinook and we hope it will keep you warm for many winters.

BKVP

Reactions: tarzan and Ashful
I actually built a cinderblock bbq pit this weekend, the better to smoke up my airshed with the scent of dry hickory and cooking beef instead of burning wet birch like my back fence neighbor.
Warming fires are permitted by DEC.

I have two gripes with my pair of BK stoves, but before I go into them, I'll say that BK is already working on addressing both of them. So, while no stove is perfect, I couldn't have bought them from a better company.

1. The ash plug in both of my Ashfords is not centered over the ash pan, but right over the rear edge of the ash pan. So, when I try to use it, I end up with a good portion of the hot coals on the floor under the stove. My stove shop states that's because the floor was welded in backwards on the early 30.1's, but I do not know if this is gospel. In any case, BK is sending me parts to correct the issue, but I was told to be prepared for a fairly major tear-down. Their F-up, but they're supporting the solution, so it's hard to complain about that.

2. My combustor seems to clog whenever I run the stove on high for any period of time. Again, BK is very interested in this, as they report having not seen it before. They're going to be working with me, when we get some weather cold enough to warrant running a pair of Ashford 30's on high, to investigate and resolve this issue.

So, I hold BK in similar regard to Woodstock. They have some of the best stoves on the market, but more importantly, an interest in resolving any of the issues that will inevitably arise in such a business.
Ashful,

Thank you. To be clear, we NEVER welded in a bottom backwards. I'll address that comment with the dealer!

I cannot provide details on specific changes, those are absolutely propriety. This is after all a public forum.

And that's exactly why I asked the question the way I did. This forum is a very useful asset for a company like BK, not only because of the exposure potential consumers have to BK products, but also the consumer feedback BK has access to. It's a two way street and I appreciate the fact that you participate here.

Here's my nit pick list in no particular order for the benefit of BK. I'm not expecting any elaboration on these points because I understand some of this would necessarily involve proprietary info discovered through internal testing.

First, let me say I really like this stove a lot, it's the best I've had by far and I've had some very nice stoves. It's going to work really well here and I can already tell it's going to save me a lot of time loading, carrying wood and processing wood while keeping my place a more comfortable, more consistent temperature. Less trips out of doors in the cold rain/snow. That's saying a lot because my previous stove worked very well and wasn't a crude smoke dragon or anything like that.

1) Like every other stove I've had with a glass door the corners of the window soot up on low or med-low burn. The glass is considerably larger than any of my three other stoves that had glass and, on the Chinook, the completely clear area is larger than the entire window areas on my previous stoves. So, already that's good, better than all my previous stoves. A load of wood burned on high-med high cleared most of the soot but still left about 5 sq. inches in the two bottom corners not cleared. But I don't believe for a minute there's not room for improvement. I burn dry, seasoned wood so it's never been too terrible of a problem but that's not to say that completely clear and clean glass would not look spectacularly better. Impossible? Just the nature of the beast? I think, at the very least, it could be improved upon by managing the turbulence in the window area better. I noticed the side firebricks end about two inches before the door. This leaves an open vertical channel that causes turbulence of dirty gasses swirling around in the firebox that is strong enough to disrupt the "sheet" of glass wash air. It would be a simple matter to fill these channels with narrow firebricks. Also, I haven't had the bottom center soot up. That suggests the glass wash air could be fine tuned to be a little stronger on the two sides where it is needed more.

2) The hinges are bolted on from inside the firebox but are not protected from extreme heat by firebrick because they are in the same open channel I mentioned above. If there were firebrick fitted into the side channel not only would turbulence be reduced, but the hinges would stay cool enough to retain high temperature grease which would reduce hinge wear years down the road. I have some high temperature dry moly spray lube but I think those hinges get a little too hot for it to be effective for even half a season. It looks like the hinge pins might be softer than the metal surrounding the pins. If so, any slop from hinge wear could be fixed simply by replacing the pins. However, with the long BK burn times I won't be opening the door very often so I imagine that is a very long time down the road!

3) The Chinook's loading door only opens slightly past 90 degrees. This may be unique to the modern design of the Chinook model. The bigger issue is that the official "doorstop" is the outer face of the door about 2" from the door edge (where it contacts the corner of the stove). The first time I opened the door to re-load it, I didn't expect it to stop so soon (my previous stove opened all the way) and the paint was removed from the face of the door where it contacted the corner of the stove. So now there is a line of bare metal on the door face. I don't think it's worth it to touch it up since that area is the official doorstop and I need to open it all the way to insure I don't burn myself on the hot door edge while inserting wood. There should be a doorstop on the backside of the door that prevents the face of the door from contacting the stove body. Because with the door barely opening past 90 degrees, the door is going to be opened to the stop every time.

4) I've already mentioned this one but the fans could be quieter while moving the same amount of air. On low-med low they are fine. But at medium and higher settings I rate them a C+ to B-. Definitely not obnoxious but there is room for future improvement. A few years back I read an interesting article about how Ford re-designed the F-150 acoustics. The sound engineers said they weren't shooting for the absolute lowest dB ratings when they adjusted various parameters that impacted sounds, rather they were trying to keep the unpleasant sounds at bay. It had to do with frequencies, harmonics, etc.

That's all for now, as you can probably tell from how short this list is, and the nature of the suggestions, this stove is definitely a winner!

An out of balance fan can vibrate strongly at certain rpm. Has the fan been thoroughly cleaned? Dust accumulation on the blades can cause an imbalance.

Nope, external vaccuming only (cover off of the stove, but fan assembly not pulled). I'll try to remember to take it apart before I start burning this year, and post my findings. It'll be a little anticlimactic if it gets fixed by rinsing the cage in the kitchen sink! It should be pretty easy to troubleshoot.

Nope, external vaccuming only (cover off of the stove, but fan assembly not pulled). I'll try to remember to take it apart before I start burning this year, and post my findings. It'll be a little anticlimactic if it gets fixed by rinsing the cage in the kitchen sink! It should be pretty easy to troubleshoot.
Compressed air and shop vac does the trick. I will often let the fans run while I watch them. Once the rattle starts you can tweak the blower bracket around and get it to stop. Usually can get it to settle down.

Reactions: Ashful

Over the past 8 years, I believe forum members, regardless of what stove they own, can vouch we have shared a substantial amount of technical information and experience.

These forums are filled not with "BK boosters", rather actual owners that share their real world experiences with our products. Both positive and negative.

We have operated in full disclosure, the Princess with the loose door glass to name one.

Lastly, as a manufacturer, my comments have to be crafted carefully so as to fully address the topic and remain mindful of site policies regarding "selling".

Thank you for your purchase of the Chinook and we hope it will keep you warm for many winters.

BKVP
A couple years ago you had a burning cycle line graph for the BK king, can you guys please repost that back on your website?

I occasionally feel like a salesman, but I think you guys are mailing my checks to the wrong address!

On a more serious note, I have a Honda motorcycle and a Honda car, but I don't go onto car enthusiast websites and write about how Hondas are the best vehicles, possessed of features you can't get from another carmaker- because they're not. I think they're good, but I could be just as happy with a Chevy and a Ducati. They do roughly the same stuff roughly as well as the Hondas. BK isn't like that!

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I was fooling with the insert last night and felt the bypass was getting a little hard as far as opening and closing. I worked it back and fourth a few times then stuck my hand on the plate just feeling the operation. What surprised me is that several times when I'd go to close the bypass my plate would close wonky on one side and leave a large gap around the gasket. Now my retainers are in place on either side of my cat but I reckon the need for lubricant on the ramp of the bypass rod is causing this. Only thing I can figure is the dry ramp is pulling instead of lifting the bypass straight up and causing the plate to shift side to side. It was enough at one point where the bypass plate came out of the slot on one side which would have been terrible if I had been burning 24/7. Anyhow just something for everyone to check out before we get into the full swing of burning.

Reactions: Highbeam

I realize that this forum is not "filled with BK boosters" (and didn't imply that it was). That said, in my short 9 months here I have seen more than a couple of what I will loosely call "attacks" against people who have posted something negative, some were deserved but others, IMHO, were not. I used the term "BK boosters" to refer to those who may wish to attack someone who might post honest criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.