2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty subjective question with a BK, because the stoves can be dialled very, very low, so each user's minimum setting is based on their wood and their install, not on how low the dial goes.

My minimum setting for keeping the cat active for 24 hours is very low, but it is well above the lowest thermostat setting of the stove. If you pulled my stove out and installed it at somebody else's house, the lowest cat-active setting would not be the same.

I want to burn a load on minimum someday (which will be smoldering the whole load, because the cat will die after 8-12 hours, I'd think), just to see how long it goes. :)

I know that but I was wondering what or if the stove itself is cooler during a low burn. I know each install is different but if I got a couple people who know what their stove temp is on their low burn it would help me decide if I make the switch. Cause even on your low burn it is lower than what mine can burn at. Right now low burn in mine during shoulder season it is too much for the house unless I load it with only a couple small splits which isn’t a bad thing but it would be nice to just load it all and turn it up if we need it and turn it back down when we don’t.

Just exploring options at the moment.

Lopi Rockport

As I’ve said from the beginning. The cape Cod and the Rockport are not cat stoves, rather, a stove with a cat to clean up the emissions. They will not run slow like a BK or other cat stoves for that matter. Some post pics of the cat glowing with no flames I know, because it’s a new cat, and the primary air was just reduced to low. I was guilty of that when I had mine as well. After a short time the cat glow goes away, rarely to be seen again, except when flames from the secondary air tubes are ripping straight through the cat, reducing it’s life with every lick...

I know that but I was wondering what or if the stove itself is cooler during a low burn. I know each install is different but if I got a couple people who know what their stove temp is on their low burn it would help me decide if I make the switch. Cause even on your low burn it is lower than what mine can burn at. Right now low burn in mine during shoulder season it is too much for the house unless I load it with only a couple small splits which isn’t a bad thing but it would be nice to just load it all and turn it up if we need it and turn it back down when we don’t.

Lopi Rockport
My Ashford was centrally located in a1900 square foot ranch. In the shoulder seasons I would get 24-30 hour burns easily. Load it up at night, repeat before bed the next day. It only overheated the space if that was my intention. ::-)
I replaced my Cape Cod with an Ashford 30.

Reactions: Tegbert
I know that but I was wondering what or if the stove itself is cooler during a low burn. I know each install is different but if I got a couple people who know what their stove temp is on their low burn it would help me decide if I make the switch. Cause even on your low burn it is lower than what mine can burn at. Right now low burn in mine during shoulder season it is too much for the house

BK low burn is MUCH lower. I am burning 24 hour burns in the spring and fall when it's 60-65 degrees out.

It's still in the 80s here, but I can post some temperatures once the weather cools down a bit.

Lopi Rockport

I live up near Mt. Rainier at about 700' ASL. We had a fire last night and I could crank the stove down low enough to keep the house from overheating. 12 hours later I still had glowing chunks.

Lopi is a big name in our state, just like quad. BK is also made in the WA or just across the border in Canada.

I live up near Mt. Rainier at about 700' ASL. We had a fire last night and I could crank the stove down low enough to keep the house from overheating. 12 hours later I still had glowing chunks.

Lopi is a big name in our state, just like quad. BK is also made in the WA or just across the border in Canada.

When we first got this house I didn’t want to burn wood at all. Wasn’t until we got the first bill using electric heat that I said nope not happening we are getting a new stove as the old one was in disarray. Part of the reason why we only went to two places shopping. Never heard of blaze king till after we got it and I came to this site. Neither dealer carries them or any around our area so of course they wouldn’t recommend something they don’t sell. They both carried lopi. The one dealer closest to us is about 55 miles away which isn’t bad but I will have to pick up and install as they don’t service here.

Then I saw that they can be ordered through any dealer even if they don’t carry them but they have to call blaze king and set it up. I know the place where I bought mine he most likely won’t do that as he’s all about getting and selling as cheap as possible.

I know if I did sell it nows the time as people are getting ready for the cold but it’s also when things can take a while to get so being without one would suck. Could buy the new one and then sell it once I get it but it would also suck if I couldn’t sell it for a reasonable amount either and being stuck with two stoves.

Oh decisions decisions.

Lopi Rockport

We had a fire last night and I could crank the stove down low enough to keep the house from overheating. 12 hours later I still had glowing chunks.

Surely that's a typo. Not 32 hours? [emoji14]

When we first got this house I didn’t want to burn wood at all. Wasn’t until we got the first bill using electric heat that I said nope not happening we are getting a new stove as the old one was in disarray. Part of the reason why we only went to two places shopping. Never heard of blaze king till after we got it and I came to this site. Neither dealer carries them or any around our area so of course they wouldn’t recommend something they don’t sell. They both carried lopi. The one dealer closest to us is about 55 miles away which isn’t bad but I will have to pick up and install as they don’t service here.

Then I saw that they can be ordered through any dealer even if they don’t carry them but they have to call blaze king and set it up. I know the place where I bought mine he most likely won’t do that as he’s all about getting and selling as cheap as possible.

I know if I did sell it nows the time as people are getting ready for the cold but it’s also when things can take a while to get so being without one would suck. Could buy the new one and then sell it once I get it but it would also suck if I couldn’t sell it for a reasonable amount either and being stuck with two stoves.

Oh decisions decisions.

Lopi Rockport

34 Miles away....
Monroe Fireplace
19922 Hwy 2, Monroe, WA,
98272, US
Telephone: 1-306-794-8024

Ask for Damon. Very helpful.

Even better thank you. Don’t know how I missed that one.

Lopi Rockport
Just noticed typo...Area code is 360, which you already knew!

I love my BK Princess insert, wouldn't put in any other stove even if it was free and someone was going to install it for me. I've owned a bunch of stoves and this is the best by a mile. But, I do wish the glass stayed at least a little bit clear when I'm burning low, I wish the bypass damper could be adjusted without pulling the whole insert (mine seems to go out of whack every season), and I wish I could see the catalytic thermometer without needing to lean over the top of the stove.

I love my BK Princess insert, wouldn't put in any other stove even if it was free and someone was going to install it for me. I've owned a bunch of stoves and this is the best by a mile. But, I do wish the glass stayed at least a little bit clear when I'm burning low, I wish the bypass damper could be adjusted without pulling the whole insert (mine seems to go out of whack every season), and I wish I could see the catalytic thermometer without needing to lean over the top of the stove.

There's a dial that turns on the Automatic Window Cleaner on the right side of the insert.

There's a dial that turns on the Automatic Window Cleaner on the right side of the insert.

Right. Which is the same dial that controls whether the room is comfortable or not. And it's the same dial that controls how much wood is consumed. I wish I could use that dial just for controlling room temperature and not have to choose between clean glass or over-heating the house and it's occupants or between clean glass/efficient burning.

Blaze King is not alone with this issue, the problem runs wide and deep in the woodstove industry. My 1988 Seefire brand woodstove used the same basic technology (glass air wash) to keep the glass clean. But on low burn it would do the same thing. The lack of significant progress in this department in 30 years is unfortunate.

Reactions: Patapsco Mike
On the dirty glass... my wife said, once the Ashford was in the "boring mode": why did they put a glass if it's designed to burn this way? I would have preferred a cast iron door with some animals on it, you can't see the flames anyway...
No comment

On the dirty glass... my wife said, once the Ashford was in the "boring mode": why did they put a glass if it's designed to burn this way? I would have preferred a cast iron door with some animals on it, you can't see the flames anyway...
No comment
... and that's when you turn the knob a few degrees, to show the flames. ::-)

It's not "designed to burn this way", as your wife stated it. It's designed to burn any way you like, at the turn of a knob.

Reactions: Highbeam
Anyone, ever lube up there thermostat linkage? Mine is getting kinda squeaky. Think there was an old thread about this. Anyone have the link? I can't seem to find it.
Thanks

Anyone, ever lube up there thermostat linkage? Mine is getting kinda squeaky. Think there was an old thread about this. Anyone have the link? I can't seem to find it.
Thanks

I do it annually. Piece of cake and makes it smooth as butta.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 215
Use high temp anti-seize or moly lube.

Thanks

And before we upset BKVP, you must completely close the thermostat before removing or installing the thermostat cover. Close the thermosat by turning it all the way down, cold. If you are not completely certain that you are doing this correctly then don't remove the thermostat cover. Live with the screech.

Here's my lube of choice for the stove these days. Liquid oils are too light.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: Blazing
And before we upset BKVP, you must completely close the thermostat before removing or installing the thermostat cover. Close the thermosat by turning it all the way down, cold. If you are not completely certain that you are doing this correctly then don't remove the thermostat cover. Live with the screech.

Here's my lube of choice for the stove these days. Liquid oils are too light.
Ok Highbeam...disclaimer noted.

Reactions: Highbeam
Quick question about the by-pass adjustment, when the stove is cold I can take the hand open close it, hearing and feeling that little click. I just did a test load of 2x4 cut off since it was 44 deg out this am and got the stove up to temp, when to close the by-pass and that click is pretty much nonexistent. I will also note that I did the dollar bill test on the by-pass gasket a couple weeks ago and it pass giving me resistance all the way around the gasket when I was pulling the dollar through. Should I be adjusting this plate?
FYI planning on doing a full burn tonight, suppose to drop down to 38, so I will load her up with some, pine, cherry and ash.

I didn't get the "click" until i was fooling with the lever and looking down through the collar with the pipe off.

With the pipe off and you looking at the door through the collar, turn the handle more than 90 degrees and let go of it, let it fall.

The bypass door is now closed, but not yet latched.

If you now push the bypass lever handle a little further you can watch the operating rod inside the stove cam over, where it is trapped inside the bracket on the bypass door outside the firebox.

The sound is a "click" with the stove all buttoned up, but a lot more aurhoritative than a seat belt buckle or an ink pen.

FWIW my 85 pound wife can do it one handed. You do have to push on the handle to get the click after the door is closed, but it is nothing like changing a tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.