2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're going to need a fire-retardant dollar bill to properly test this.
Actually Im not to worried about this, I had the stove running yesterday, had the cat active @ the 2 oclock, no flames in the fire box and just heat vapors coming out the chimney, if the by-pass damper wasn't sealed I would be seeing smoke at that stage of the burn, but I'll be more than glad to borrow some of that communion money you still have in your wallet !

View attachment 200771

Love my King on Walnut!
I'll be more than glad to borrow some of that communion money you still have in your wallet !

Money becomes fire retardant after a good soaking/drying in a solution of hot water, boric acid (roach powder) and borax (20 Mule Team). Use 4-5 parts boric acid and 6 parts borax. These chemicals are relatively non-toxic. Dissolve over the stovetop around 160F. Use enough borates (around 2 oz total/quart) that it becomes saturated (still a bit un-dissolved). After an over night soak and good drying, try to light it with your lighter.

Now your emergency stack of Benjamin Franklin's isn't in danger of burning up as easily. But you will need a Nomex gauntlet to test a hot bypass seal! ;)

If you have a favorite wood poker for your fire pit you can extend it's life by soaking it in this solution. I only share this because we are all firebugs. You can tell your brother-in-law you have figured out the secret of manifesting money. After you get him all worked up you can prove your point by pulling treated Benjamin's out of your wallet and throwing them in the middle of the burning fire pit saying something like "there's a lot more where these came from" while you watch him try to reach into a fire that's too hot to put your hand in. Make sure you have some tongs to extract the bills after the joke is over (and before the money actually burns).

Reactions: Blazing
Has anyone had issues with their convection decks rusting? Specifically the fins at the output end of the deck. I was cleaning up around the stove today to get ready for the season and noticed this:

It definitely appears to be rust and not dust, as it isn't coming off. I just added the deck last winter.
deck1.jpg
deck2.jpg

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 170
  • deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 179
Has anyone had issues with their convection decks rusting? Specifically the fins at the output end of the deck. I was cleaning up around the stove today to get ready for the season and noticed this:

It definitely appears to be rust and not dust, as it isn't coming off. I just added the deck last winter.
View attachment 200805
View attachment 200806

Do you suppose it was never painted properly in the first place? It takes a tad bit more effort to paint all sides of a louver than some folks realize. There is missing paint on parts of my stove that were not easily shot during manufacture.

Just started my first fire of the season tonight. Excited to hang out over with you guys again this winter! Still need to do a thorough cleaning but it is purring along like it did all last winter. I cleaned in the middle of last season and then only had a couple of fires after that. Was a weird burn season last year...Happy to be burning again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blazing
I'm building a new well insulated 2,700 Sq. Ft. single story home in Hailey Idaho. Average winter temps are in the teens and get down to single digits at night in December and January.

I'm assuming the King would be the best size for me?

My local BK dealer has has a fully loaded unused floor model for sale at a slight discount. I think its probally a 3 or 4 year old model.

I know its older because it has the numbers on the thermostat dial.

Is there there any advantage or disadvantage to the older stove or is it better to order a new stove due to better components and technology.

Thank You

Reactions: Highbeam
I'm building a new well insulated 2,700 Sq. Ft. single story home in Hailey Idaho. Average winter temps are in the teens and get down to single digits at night in December and January.

My local BK dealer has has a fully loaded unused floor model for sale at a slight discount. I think its probally a 3 or 4 year old model.

Is there there any advantage or disadvantage to the older stove or is it better to order a new stove due to better components and technology.

Thank You
There's been no changes..grab it. You can sell the thermostat decal for plenty

Couple questions about the ashford that I forgot to get while I was at the dealer.

With the fan kit the brochure says it is 31 1/8” deep. How far are the front legs from the front lip?

292cc4dc1363a13fb7c516a4b8f071df.png

Clearance from the back of the stove is supposed to be 6”. Is that from the fan kit or from the stove body itself?

Lopi Rockport

Thank You
Make sure you get the convection deck and blower kit, Those kings are beautiful stoves, FYI you will need to run 8" chimney.

You said it, the decal with numbers so that you can actually get repeatable performance. I don't know how you would run it otherwise. WAGs all the time!

2700 SF in Idaho, yeah, the king. Enjoy the long burn times.

Reactions: Ashful
Once you get used to the stove you won’t pay any attention to the numbers. It becomes second nature.. or at least it should!

@BKVP, my only feedback on the King Ultra is in regards to how small the ash pan is. It is disproportionately small for the size of the stove and the coal bed. An easy remidy is just dump it more often but I'm of the opinion why mess with it if it's not affecting performance. About every 7 days I would empty the firebox and take 2-2.5 pans of ash out. There is a lot of available space in the pedestal to accommodate a wider ash pan. My suggestion is to take advantage of that space and make the pan larger. I don't think it would detract from the looks but would add functionality.

@BKVP, my only feedback on the King Ultra is in regards to how small the ash pan is. It is disproportionately small for the size of the stove and the coal bed. An easy remidy is just dump it more often but I'm of the opinion why mess with it if it's not affecting performance. About every 7 days I would empty the firebox and take 2-2.5 pans of ash out. There is a lot of available space in the pedestal to accommodate a wider ash pan. My suggestion is to take advantage of that space and make the pan larger. I don't think it would detract from the looks but would add functionality.
Fair enough. However, if it was larger, there would be an increased likelihood someone would leave it full and not empty the pan. Good point for us to review. Thank you.

BKVP

Make sure you get the convection deck and blower kit, Those kings are beautiful stoves, FYI you will need to run 8" chimney.
Yes, it has the convection deck and fan kit. i will use 8' pipe and the outside air kit.
Pipe will be streight up, total length looks like about 17' from top of stove to bottom of the spark arrester, hope that is enough height?

Yes, it has the convection deck and fan kit. i will use 8' pipe and the outside air kit.
Pipe will be streight up, total length looks like about 17' from top of stove to bottom of the spark arrester, hope that is enough height?
Sounds like your on your way to alien burn times, flue height looks good, oak will do you good, spark arrester my be an issue, watch for clogging

Reactions: Highbeam
Fair enough. However, if it was larger, there would be an increased likelihood someone would leave it full and not empty the pan. Good point for us to review. Thank you.

BKVP
Isnt the idea to leave about 1" of ash on the bottom of the stove when burning?

I find the ashpan to be appropriately sized. For one reason, I can hold it with 1 hand while I open the door. If it was much larger it would be difficult to handle while it’s full I think.

I find the ashpan to be appropriately sized. For one reason, I can hold it with 1 hand while I open the door. If it was much larger it would be difficult to handle while it’s full I think.

I suppose you could fill it half full if you don't want to use two hands.

A better handle setup, more like a garbage can or even a bucket handle, might make the weight of a properly sized (bigger) ash pan easier to manage. The pellet stove guys often get some huge ash pans so it's not like it can't work.

I assumed that the pedestal of the ultra stoves could only provide a small cutout for the ash pan without weakening the base. That's why it is so small. There is lots of extra space in that pedestal for a man sized ash pan!

Reactions: Marshy
I suppose you could fill it half full if you don't want to use two hands.

A better handle setup, more like a garbage can or even a bucket handle, might make the weight of a properly sized (bigger) ash pan easier to manage. The pellet stove guys often get some huge ash pans so it's not like it can't work.

I assumed that the pedestal of the ultra stoves could only provide a small cutout for the ash pan without weakening the base. That's why it is so small. There is lots of extra space in that pedestal for a man sized ash pan!
So a bigger ashpan filled halfway? That makes no sense...
No matter how good something is, folks want it to be better. Besides, I thought I was one of the only losers actually using the ashpan?;lol

I also assume the pan couldn't be much bigger without making the pedestal larger too, or risk it being unstable.

Reactions: redktmrider
Heya BK'ers!

With temps (and leaves) dropping here in the CO Rockies...it was time to give Princess #1 her annual exam again today to prep for yet another season of warmth.... (2nd full season of use last year...Oct-May).

Upon inspection, I found a super clean stovepipe (12 ft) and was able to leave the chimney brush in the box and put it back in the closet in the garage. Maybe next year...but probably not from the looks of it. (I never take anything for granted but am always super pleased when sh*t "doesn't happen) "If it ain't broke don't fix it" heeeheeeheee.....

Looking inside...I found only a small pile of soot below the pipe in the stove. Again, very good/very pleased. Gasket looks almost new/seals well.

The only thing I did notice was a soot buildup between the inner wall shields and the stove wall. I remember some talk here about this....and weekly "hot" fires....but with only 800 sq ft...it's not that easy to pull off without all the windows and doors open (which could happen....but often...doesn't).
While I'll certainly try to burn a hotter fire here/there this season to minimize these deposits.......I dealt with it this year by fashioning a crude tool out of twisted/bent safety wire and scraped it off the walls....then dug/removed what fell into the the lower channel until I felt it was "clean". While it did take a bit of time....it actually worked very well.

And finally...I pulled out the unused ash pan and it actually slid back and forth easily. Now i'm wondering if it gets hot enough in there to warm Cinnamon rolls or make grilled cheese. While I caught some flak here last season for not using it.... I find using my big metal bucket with a lid to be easier 'cus I can clean the entire stove out in one fell swoop rather than making multiple trips with the much smaller ash pan. I 'do" like the way it looks though...LOL. Live and learn. (or try)

Now to repeat the process with Princess #2 in the shop/garage..... and get on with installing Princess #3 in the plenum shed in an attempt to heat the greenhouse next door. (will likely be an interesting project)

We're overdue for a big/cold Winter here. Time will tell how it actually plays out.... but we'll be warm either way thanks to BK.

have a good season folks......

So a bigger ashpan filled halfway? That makes no sense...
No matter how good something is, folks want it to be better. Besides, I thought I was one of the only losers actually using the ashpan?;lol

It makes no sense to me either but you were the one who said you couldn't handle the weight. The way you might solve that problem for yourself is to not fill it to the top. I can carry way more ash so I would fill it up and be happy to get it done in one trip.

I use the ashpan and I think others do too. The reason is that it is cleaner, less ash flies away.

Reactions: Marshy
Status
Not open for further replies.