2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The EPA recognized that new cats are overactive enough to be nonrepresentative and decided that 50 hours of break in time was sufficient to mitigate that advantage in testing. Sure, it could have been 1000 hours but they chose 50 and they make the rules.

You are able to engage the cat prematurely because it’s still new. Once you get some age on it, you won’t find it so easy to jump the gun like that.

How much "age" are you talking here? Because I already have well over 150 hours on it which is three times what the EPA requires for aging. Last night's fire in a cold firebox had the cat glowing orange in 9 minutes!

Is it considered "premature" if it starts glowing orange within 10 seconds of closing the bypass? This is my first catalytic wood stove and I don't want to do it too soon, especially with new cats costing $300! Is it harmful to the cat to engage it prematurely like this?

The EPA recognized that new cats are overactive enough to be nonrepresentative and decided that 50 hours of break in time was sufficient to mitigate that advantage in testing. Sure, it could have been 1000 hours but they chose 50 and they make the rules.
Also, while we scoff at 50 hours as merely two out of our 200 days of yearly burning, this amount of time may make up half or more of the total burn time most stoves see in a year. We, pointing at any member of this forum, are not "average".

Last edited:
Also, while we scoff at 50 hours as merely two out of our 200 days of yearly burning, this amount of time may make up half or more of the total burn time most stoves see in a year. We (pointing at any member of this forum) are not "average".

True, and the basis of some 10 year warranties on stove parts!

That 50 hours represents 16 full loads through the NC30. Sunday evening burner would take 4 months to get there. Plus, realistically, the burden of aging every cat by 1000 hours before testing is harsh.

Reactions: Ashful
Plus, realistically, the burden of aging every cat by 1000 hours before testing is harsh.

I thought that the EPA was a draconian monster that never made a rule or regulation that took practicality into consideration and was trying to regulate wood burning out of existence. ;lol

I don't normally listen to the tin hat brigade but my interest in wood-burning led me to this sad viewpoint:

Warning: This is one seriously angry, unhappy and deranged individual. Don't take him seriously.

Since it's Halloween month, I better post a pic of the scary joker I found lurking in my stove last night:

Chinook30 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
True, and the basis of some 10 year warranties on stove parts!

That 50 hours represents 16 full loads through the NC30. Sunday evening burner would take 4 months to get there. Plus, realistically, the burden of aging every cat by 1000 hours before testing is harsh.
ya but that 50 hrs is one loading of a King according to some. :rolleyes:

Reactions: lsucet and Highbeam
I have looked for the combuster type (the metal or the ceramic), that comes standard with the asford 30. Haven't found anything yet. Does anyone know? The dealer doesnt, and I don't mind upgrading to a cat that will fire off a little faster. I just purchased it, and waiting for install.

I have looked for the combuster type (the metal or the ceramic), that comes standard with the asford 30. Haven't found anything yet. Does anyone know? The dealer doesnt, and I don't mind upgrading to a cat that will fire off a little faster. I just purchased it, and waiting for install.
The Ashford should have the steel one for what I understand and that is the one lighting up faster. But the website recommend here is www.firecatcombustors.com
Go to combustors and scroll down and you should find the one for the Ashford

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Beldin
Thanks, I appreciate the info. After the Ashford is in, I want to rebuild the englander stove in my garage. It is good to learn this stuff.

The Ashford should have the steal one for what I understand and that is the one lighting up faster. But the website recommend here is www.firecatcombustors.com
Go to combustors and scroll down and you should find the one for the Ashford

Found it. They do not state if they are they are the metal cats however. But this site recommends them, so they probably are. Am I assuming correctly? I hope so. I was honestly expecting a higher price!

Found it. They do not state if they are they are the metal cats however. But this site recommends them, so they probably are. Am I assuming correctly? I hope so. I was honestly expecting a higher price!
I think there is just that type for the Ashford. If you look the ceramic ones and the one for your stove you will visually see the differences. Ceramic has like a yellow color to it and yours looks like metal plus the info under the pictures should say it.

The Ashford comes with the metal cat. It’s the only one that goes in there

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I see now. I can be stupid sometimes. It does look like the combuster for the asford metal. Good deal!
No problem. We all at some point went thru the same. I did, that's what made me learn and I still learning.lol

BKVP, if this isn't too sensitive of a question to answer, do you mind a quick explanation of how the combustors are aged in only 50 hours? I have about 150 hours on mine and I haven't noticed any big fall off in performance.

I know you're probably just busy so forgive me for asking a third time but I assume you just missed my question.
The 50 hours of aging is a figure pulled of left field by regulators. The initial "hyperactivity" can easily last an entire season.

Reactions: coutufr
The 50 hours of aging is a figure pulled of left field by regulators. The initial "hyperactivity" can easily last an entire season.

Well that's interesting but my question was how (the procedure used) the combustors are "aged", not why 50 hours was chosen. Are they just burned using kiln dried crib wood on the highest (or lowest) setting until 50 hours have expired?

But since you brought up why they chose 50 hours, I am surprised the manufacturers of catalytic stoves didn't lobby for the short "aging" process to save money during testing and to achieve lower pollution scores relative to the tube stove competition. I don't know much about the EPA's regulatory process, but I was under the impression that Federal rule-making processes, in general, involved submitting proposed rules to stake holders for comments and recommendations before a Federal Agency implemented new rules. If I was a catalytic stove manufacturer I would want the EPA to either require no aging or, failing that, for it to be as short as possible.

Well that's interesting but my question was how (the procedure used) the combustors are "aged", not why 50 hours was chosen. Are they just burned using kiln dried crib wood on the highest (or lowest) setting until 50 hours have expired?

But since you brought up why they chose 50 hours, I am surprised the manufacturers of catalytic stoves didn't lobby for the short "aging" process to save money during testing and to achieve lower pollution scores relative to the tube stove competition. I don't know much about the EPA's regulatory process, but I was under the impression that Federal rule-making processes, in general, involved submitting proposed rules to stake holders for comments and recommendations before a Federal Agency implemented new rules. If I was a catalytic stove manufacturer I would want the EPA to either require no aging or, failing that, for it to be as short as possible.
50 hours is quite a short amount of time. Why argue with the EPA over something so minor? Manufacturers have bigger fish to fry!

50 hours is quite a short amount of time. Why argue with the EPA over something so minor? Manufacturers have bigger fish to fry!

You misunderstood. I was suggesting the EPA might have asked the manufacturers for guidance when determining an acceptable aging process. Even 50 hours aging is a significant expense because you need to pay a professional to load, light, monitor data collection, and supply suitable wood, etc. It's not insignificant.

And it's not called "arguing", it's simply participating in the regulatory rule making process. Very common.

You misunderstood. I was suggesting the EPA might have asked the manufacturers for guidance when determining an acceptable aging process. Even 50 hours aging is a significant expense because you need to pay a professional to load, light, monitor data collection, and supply suitable wood, etc. It's not insignificant.

And it's not called "arguing", it's simply participating in the regulatory rule making process. Very common.

I don't think either of us has any idea of when the switch is made from participating and arguing.

Hi Folks,

After much debate, I replaced by PE tube stove back in July with a Sirocco 30.1. Hours of reading and some PMing with forum members helped with my decision so thank you to those who helped. Had a friend give a helping hand lugging it into the house and all went smoothly with the install.

Did my 'break-in' fires the other day and have a question. Am I safe to assume that the stove top temp directly above the cat can peak into 600 degrees Fahrenheit without any major concern? I had seen this in my third fire when the edges were only hitting 425-450 or so (IR temp gun). This stove appears to have alleviated the excessive draft issues I had with the PE so I am pretty excited about this; to say the least.

I couldn't believe how long this thing burned on a 1/3rd load - and the heat output was fantastic. I did expect the glass to get dirty, but not as dirty as it did. The PE airwash was truly amazing, then again, it was also pulling massive amounts of unregulated air through at all times to keep it clean...and wasting heat up my chimney!

Thanks for any comments on the stove top temps.

Reactions: Blazing
My new blaze king airwash is better than the one on my old vermont castings catalytic, but neither of them even come close to the PE!
All I do is clean the white haze of my Alderlea window about twice a year.

All the hardcore BK guys say to burn the stove on high for an hour to clean up the glass, but it's not been cold enough here to do that yet.
I run a stove top therm right behind the pipe on my Ashford, I saw about 650 F on my last small break in burn with the air supply fully open.

Thanks for any comments on the stove top temps.

Totally normal.

I've got a few comments on the window fouling but I'll need to elaborate when I have more time. It's pretty serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.