2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

webfish Posted By webfish, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM

1. webfish

webfish
    Hearth.com LLC 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Loc:
    Minnesota
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shoot-straight

shoot-straight
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    Kennedyville, MD
    FIRST! (kinda)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ratsrepus

ratsrepus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Howell, Mi
    I didn't realize that it was going to be 50 here today in Michigan. Loaded the princess up with 4 year old red oak at 4 pm yesterday, I mean loaded it. 85 and have the doors open.

4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Turn it down, it’s a BK.

tarzan likes this.
  5. tarzan

tarzan
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2014
    Loc:
    wv
    50 to mid 50's is about my "how low can you go" limit.

6. ratsrepus

ratsrepus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Howell, Mi
    closed all the way off, it was yesterdays load of oak that did it.

7. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I can go through highs in the low or mid 60s, but the cat will drop out when I go that low. (Also, part 3 in January! We're chatty this year.)

8. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  9. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Isn't that what the thermostat is supposed to do automatically?

10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    No, just common sense and user requests. Super long threads become cumbersome to search back on.

ED 3000 likes this.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    No. The thermostat regulates stove temperature, not room temperature. Wouldn’t that be cool though?

12. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    There are a couple (non-homebrew) stoves with this feature, but they don't seem to have many owners on hearth yet. I haven't heard much about them from owners.

13. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Clever, begreen. The way I see that t’stat is basically the opposite, though. Close it down at the beginning of the load, and will gradually open as the burn wanes. Yes, it will close down if the stove gets too hot, but it’s following stove temperature, not room temperature.

I’ve burned the BK in the stone part of our house on many days with highs in the 70’s (eg. 50F low / 75F high). No issues. In fact, I’ve done the same in the newer addition, but did have to open windows, there.

AlbergSteve and BKVP like this.
  14. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    The Harman pellet stoves have “room temp mode” and “stove temp” mode. They use a wired remote probe to measure room temp. Computerizification!

15. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Quadrafire Adventure offers remote thermostat operation.

16. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Lot's do. Our old Quad CB1200 pellet stove was wired up this way. Worked great on a digital thermostat with night time setback temp.

17. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Assuming you aren't familiar with the search box or Google and search threads by re-reading every post... hmm. People ask for threads to be broken up into chunks so they can remember that the post they wanted was in Part 2? I still don't get it.

Not that it impacts me; I use search tools. I was just curious because it seemed odd.

18. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    And a rambling multi-hundred page thead would not be odd?

BKVP and ED 3000 like this.
  19. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Are you kidding? That thread has Ashful's Haunted House, my Snowplow Chickens, a half dozen mysteriously odiferous Ashfords, and a dozen non-mysteriously odiferous stovedogs being baked. What's odd about that? :)

20. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    How about finding a stove that doesn't require endless pontification?

You guys are really obsessed. Reminds me of being a teenager with a bag full of girlie mags.

Does make me wonder if I need to get one ...

bholler, Ashful and BKVP like this.
  21. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Don't forget the Chevelle!

l1011, jetsam, lsucet and 1 other person like this.
  22. lsucet

lsucet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 14, 2015
    Loc:
    San Ysidro, New Mexico
    Many have that feature now a days. My two Englander pellet stove can be controlled by a wall thermostat and you can choose on/off or low/high when tstat called. Also they sell wireless remote control that is built in tstat. You can move it to other rooms if you want.

23. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    A buddy of mine has been looking for a BK and I found one for him. Picked up a BK Ultra with fans for $1K. It even has a new steel cat!
    I hooked it up in place of an XL Dutchwest.
    After a week of running it He said “there’s always been 2 chapters in my life, life before I did acid and life after acid.;lol Now there’s a new chapter, life before Blaze King, and life after Blaze King”. He said he would have switched a decade ago if he had known.

I was going to fix the DW and hook it up in his finished garage, now he just wants to sell it. He said he can’t imagine burning anything other than a BK now.

24. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    We’re just bored. We own BK’s.

coutufr, Alpine1 and ED 3000 like this.
  25. kennyp2339

kennyp2339
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2014
    Loc:
    Low 50's here today... gona get the trout pole out and stock up the freezer again, also switched over to a full load of popular poplar.. low and slow is todays goal in the stove world.