2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I click it over every time like the instructions tell us. I’m not really worried about a perfect seal on the bypass.

Reactions: Ashful
I click it over every time like the instructions tell us. I’m not really worried about a perfect seal on the bypass.

Ditto. I never assume I know better than the people who designed the stove. They say cam it over, so I cam it over.

Reactions: Highbeam
I ran a year or two just dropping the lever over. I guess the gasket compressed a little bit, I have been clicking into the cammed over position for a while now.

I do leave mine in bypass, no door weight on the gasket, for my four months of not burning season.

I ran a year or two just dropping the lever over. I guess the gasket compressed a little bit, I have been clicking into the cammed over position for a while now.

I do leave mine in bypass, no door weight on the gasket, for my four months of not burning season.

That’s funny, I do the opposite during the three months of no burning. Leave the bypass wide open so that if a bird ever came down the chimney he would be able to make it into the firebox where I can notice him. Otherwise that little bird might peck the heck out of the back of the cat trying to escape. Then slowly die. Then I will have a carcass up there in the cat chamber that will likely get smashed into the cat when I open the bypass.

Reactions: MissMac and Alpine1
I leave the bypass in whatever position it was in at the end of the last fire, which I assume is closed. I honestly haven't thought about it since the last fire went out, but you folks sure have a way of peaking a guy's OCD tendencies.

I do what Hb said, with my VC and will do same with the BK.

I think Highbeam and I are doing the same, just saying it different. In summer months an errant bird could come down my stack, through the open bypass door with no compression on the gasket - and tap on the glass with its little bird beak from inside the firebox to drive my house cat absolutely bonkers.

Reactions: Highbeam
Well im going to replace my bypass gasket and door gasket this year before burning season... They are going on 4 seasons now, they look good but id rather change them now then to have to shut the stove down when its cold out...

On another note this big guy just fell down...
20180803_093917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MissMac
Nice red oak i think.. Wanted to make some nice dining room tables out of it but milling tools or whatever you call them where not easy to come by... Firewood it has become :)

20180803_093829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a lucky fall! No downed wires, no pancaked house.

well I figured it was time to do some maintenance on the princess. put anti seize on the bypass linkage. Took off the cover for the thermostat and lubed that, works much nicer now. Was wondering if the cover for the bi-metal coil comes off do inspect and lube, or is it not necessary? the long middle screw appears to be a positive stop for the air flapper do correct? want to take out the combustor and clean, I do have new gasket material. any comments form you experienced blaze king guys would be appreciated

I do the same with my stove (lube the thermostat shaft). I find it builds up with dust and does not work properly if I let it go more than two months during the winter. After cleaning and lube it is silky smooth.
I wouldn’t pull the thermostat out, I did on my old stove and there is no reason to for maintenance purposes. Plus it was a pain to pry out.
I wouldn’t pull the combustor either, just vacuum it out and be gentil. All the heat cycles make them fragile and crack.
On top of the thermostat clean, I usually bend the latch door latch in a bit to tighten the door, and snug up the bypass plate inside. Then clean the glass.
The she’s good to go!

Does anyone know what OEM replacement combustor is for my KEJ1107? I’m told they are cheaper online than through my dealer.

I do the same with my stove (lube the thermostat shaft). I find it builds up with dust and does not work properly if I let it go more than two months during the winter. After cleaning and lube it is silky smooth.
I wouldn’t pull the thermostat out, I did on my old stove and there is no reason to for maintenance purposes. Plus it was a pain to pry out.
I wouldn’t pull the combustor either, just vacuum it out and be gentil. All the heat cycles make them fragile and crack.
On top of the thermostat clean, I usually bend the latch door latch in a bit to tighten the door, and snug up the bypass plate inside. Then clean the glass.
The she’s good to go!
You bend the door latch rather than just turn it in one round?

The she’s good to go!
Thanks for the info

Yes my door latch nut is seized so I just tweek it a bit instead of changing it. I ordered a new one from the dealer but it looks really cheap and weak compared to my original. Don’t think I’d trust it really, so I left well enough alone.

Thanks for the info guys! I thought it was FireCat that made them. Gonna go with another steel cat

Well im going to replace my bypass gasket and door gasket this year before burning season... They are going on 4 seasons now, they look good but id rather change them now then to have to shut the stove down when its cold out...
that looks like a bugger to change

I went to order a door gasket and a new door latch, I called hechlers and spoke to one of the employee's, I was very impressed with the mans professionalism and knowledge of our stoves, I didn't place the order because I'm waiting for there shipment of cats to come in (I want a spare on hand) 1-2 weeks eta which is fine with me.

tick-tock. My delphinium are done. Fireweed is done. Raspberries are pumping out their last gasp. First hard frost less than two weeks. Looking for overnight lows in +20dF range and measurable snow accumulation on Sep 3 or Sep 4. I'll bring wood into the garage tonight or tomorrow night.

tick-tock. My delphinium are done. Fireweed is done. Raspberries are pumping out their last gasp. First hard frost less than two weeks. Looking for overnight lows in +20dF range and measurable snow accumulation on Sep 3 or Sep 4. I'll bring wood into the garage tonight or tomorrow night.
wow - it just got real, I was looking at the weather forecast for the Nome area, there already near freezing at night with rain & snow showers.

This might be a silly question but....
Do you have to run the stove in bypass mode for 30min before engaging the bypass lever?

Status
Not open for further replies.