2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mea culpa! Good story, thanks for closing the loop on that.

Good Morning All,
Our Ashford 25 is going to be installed tomorrow. We are very excited ! Outside temperature is still around 70s so I don’t think we can have a test drive tomorrow. We have some mixed feelings. We don’t have much space at the backyard to store wood so the late-mild fall/winter weather can save us wood . The good weather also gives one last push to grow our vegetables in our urban style raised garden beds. But we cant wait to use our new insert! Last night my wife was asking if we could roast chestnuts on the top part of the insert. I said I would ask.So mixed feelings...Recently I have been constantly hunting free seasoned firewood on Craigslist.In the meantime I’d like to get ready for the winter besides storing as much as seasoned wood. So I’d like to ask your recommendations about the needed tools/gadgets ( thermometer- ash bin etc) with specific brands you are happy with to be used with the insert.
Thanks !

Good Morning All,
Our Ashford 25 is going to be installed tomorrow. We are very excited ! Outside temperature is still around 70s so I don’t think we can have a test drive tomorrow. We have some mixed feelings. We don’t have much space at the backyard to store wood so the late-mild fall/winter weather can save us wood . The good weather also gives one last push to grow our vegetables in our urban style raised garden beds. But we cant wait to use our new insert! Last night my wife was asking if we could roast chestnuts on the top part of the insert. I said I would ask.So mixed feelings...Recently I have been constantly hunting free seasoned firewood on Craigslist.In the meantime I’d like to get ready for the winter besides storing as much as seasoned wood. So I’d like to ask your recommendations about the needed tools/gadgets ( thermometer- ash bin etc) with specific brands you are happy with to be used with the insert.
Thanks !
Congrats on the new Ashford! Are you saying you don’t have any seasoned wood? Looking now is going to be very difficult, especially for free. The prices go up this time of year, so does moisture content of said seasoned wood!
The only tools you need is a sturdy shovel for ashes and a bucket with a lid.

Reactions: estepracing
Congrats on the new Ashford! Are you saying you don’t have any seasoned wood? Looking now is going to be very difficult, especially for free. The prices go up this time of year, so does moisture content of said seasoned wood!
The only tools you need is a sturdy shovel for ashes and a bucket with a lid.

Thanks!
I was able to get around 1 to 1.25 cords seasoned firewood mostly oak and maple , some cherry and pine all below %20 moisture content. I am trying to make it about 2 cords if possible. We have a sweet old lady next door. When she saw me juggling with space in our backyard to store wood, she told me I can put some in her yard too. So about 1 cord in our backyard and another cord in hers.
We have a forest in a walking distance filled with storm down oak trees. Last winter, I had called park department to ask if I can cut and use wood from there and received a positive response. I didn’t do any cutting from forest this year but I had done some last winter to use in our fireplace. I even have a funny story about it that can put some smiles on your face.
I had parked my car in a close by destination to the near end of the road to carry woods I cut. Though it is not illegal to park there, police car saw my car unattended and put the sirens on. I went back to my car coming out of the woods. Two officers asked me if it is my car and what am I doing in the woods . I said I am cutting some woods from dead trees. I had my hat and some work gloves on. I could feel that they were a bit tense. They asked me to take them to the place where I am cutting the wood. I said it is down in the woods but they insisted. I was at front two officers at my back hands on their guns walked in to the woods. While walking , to put them on ease , I was telling them I confirmed with Park Department that it is OK to cut from dead woods and also that I am a good friend with a commander officer. Once they saw my 10 inch amateur Chainsaw and some cut woods on the ground they felt relief and smiled. They said they never saw anyone cutting woods or using fireplace in the neighborhood.I replied that it was my first time too:) They thought if I am burying a body in the woods! Then we all laughed.
So I am thinking to supplement our wood stock from the forest and buy 1 ton of enviro biobrick if needed.

You were asking what tools are needed to run your insert. I’d put 50cc saw with a 16 or 18 inches bar on top of the list, then add a little rake for the coals, a metallic bin and little shovel for ash cleaning. Give the 10” saw to the better half as a present. My wife asked for a personal chainsaw years ago and her help with that “toy” is invaluable.

Reactions: chemie
Oh, and I’m assuming you already have your chainsaw safety gear ... If not, that comes first.

You were asking what tools are needed to run your insert. I’d put 50cc saw with a 16 or 18 inches bar on top of the list, then add a little rake for the coals, a metallic bin and little shovel for ash cleaning. Give the 10” saw to the better half as a present. My wife asked for a personal chainsaw years ago and her help with that “toy” is invaluable.

I’m thinking to get stronger chainsaw and safety gear. Thanks for the recommendation.
Do I need a thermometer to place on the top surface of the insert?
Does top surface of the insert sticking out from fireplace really get hot to roast some chestnuts and boil water to add humidity to the room?

Does top surface of the insert sticking out from fireplace really get hot to roast some chestnuts and boil water to add humidity to the room?
No.
There’s not much room there anyway. I’ve never roasted chestnuts though, might be hot enough for that?

Stove and chimney all clean and ready to go. 2 cords burned last season. Before/after soot eater pictures:
0230EF7E-1080-4E40-867A-F2FAEFC1CDD5.png 3F7B89F3-9A0E-4147-B902-98B4CAF328B3.png 613019E6-7E9E-4C07-A17C-803C6386845D.jpeg

Reactions: lsucet
Our Blaze King Ashford 25 finally arrived!
Outside is 71 degrees and around the same temperature for the next seven days so no near day of starting our first fire.
Thanks for everyone for their inputs.
We really like how it looks in our movie/reading room.
I have one question regarding the installation. Since above the fireplace is not evenly installed stone, there is a small gap at the top of the insert. It is not visible from across but only when you get to the unit and look from above.
Should I be concerned about it? Would it affect efficiency of the unit?
PS: I’m reposting it since this is more BK related.
a7563eaaa9f52a03b964af2d88662e6d.jpgf8ef0e18a4cfb8361b77b345777b936c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The gap won’t make any difference, might even let some trapped heat out.

Reactions: chemie
If he has a good block off plate, anyway... otherwise it might let a lot of heat out. ;p
It should at least be sealed at the top. If there’s no blockoff plate I don’t think that gap at the top will change things much. It’s not like air is leaving the space at a tremendous rate.

so like when you clean out the chimney, do you have to pull the insert out?

It should at least be sealed at the top. If there’s no blockoff plate I don’t think that gap at the top will change things much. It’s not like air is leaving the space at a tremendous rate.

No block of plate but he stuffed the top with 1 inch ceramic blanket.

so like when you clean out the chimney, do you have to pull the insert out?

I just use a soot eater through the bypass and then vacuum out the little bit that ends up in the tray for the bypass. If the ashford insert is pulled out there is a gasket on the flue adapter that will most likely need to be replaced.

Which reminds me I need to find out what to use to hold the new gasket in place. I have to pull my insert here soon.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

You mean the top of the chimney? He put lots of 1 inch ceramic blanket at top.
So the gap between the stone and insert is fine or I should use silicon to close it?

What gasket needs to be replaced if the AF25 insert is pulled out? I am having a block off plate installed as well as a new crown cover/class A extension. My insert was installed 11 months ago but need to have some work done(corrected) by another chimney crew rather than have the installer come back. Please clarify this gasket. Thx

What gasket needs to be replaced if the AF25 insert is pulled out? I am having a block off plate installed as well as a new crown cover/class A extension. My insert was installed 11 months ago but need to have some work done(corrected) by another chimney crew rather than have the installer come back. Please clarify this gasket. Thx

On the flue collar adapter.

56d98b0d71848d819c1412b02dc20825.jpg

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.