2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

Ashful Posted By Ashful, Aug 27, 2018 at 8:25 AM

1. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    The old manuals recommended 15 or maybe 20-30 minutes on high after cat engagement for each load before turn down. Did they change the new manuals to "require" 30 minutes? After 15 minutes my flue temperatures are close to the redline and the cat meter is up past 1500 so I drop the stat at 15 minutes almost always.

I've done the 1 hour on high thing to melt the goo and even though the meters all stay below the redlines (stat actually closes some) I am wasting tons of fuel, making tons of heat, and not really cleaning the firebox much anyway.

I don't really get that clear exhaust plume until the stat closes down either by the stove getting really hot or by me selecting a normal cruise temperature which also closes the stat. Nonburners seem to like zero visible emissions more than the blue smoke of full throttle that occurs before the stat closes some.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Did it last year MissM... ok it wasn’t jack pine vs birch but Norway spruce vs beech. At the same t-stat setting, I got 30 hrs burn instead of 24. Awesome, but useless for my reloading schedule. I load once a day in shoulder season, and every 12 hrs in full winter. 30 or 15/16 hrs simply don’t work. I occasionally throw in a split or two of whatever hardwood I have in my stack, and find a few more hot coals at reload, that’s all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    MissMac likes this.
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I have a heck of a time adding more wood in the middle of a burn cycle without smoke dumping into the room. So when it’s really cold and I drop to 12 hour reloads I also reduce the load to be sure that the fuel is almost gone at 12 hours.

4. Jeff in Maine

Jeff in Maine
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 5, 2015
    Loc:
    Hartland, ME United States
    not trying to be arguemenitive but As far a creosote in the firebox who cares? it is flammable and will burn off when you have a hot fire which I know I have plenty of. Or am I missing something ? To me It sounds like looking for something to worry about where there is none. When I reload and the cat becomes active I close the bypass lever and I run it wide open for at least 15-20 minutes ( I have a timer by my chair so I don't forget the stove) But that is just me ymmv.

James02 likes this.
  5. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Damn, I’ll be sailing this weekend. Hoping it’s still bathing suit weather, as we’re likely to swim (novice crew).

chemie, moresnow, lsucet and 3 others like this.
  6. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    If I had more hardwood available, I’d try your method Highbeam, but my stacks are 90% pine and spruce. I did that test to see if it was worth to buy a truckload of hardwood, but found it was unnecessary. As a side note, I get even longer burn times this year, since I got bigger splits (and better knowledge of my stove)

MissMac and chemie like this.
  7. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    Can confirm. I put a small load of fir in last night and turned it down before charring and got up this morning to half a load of unburned wood!

8. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    He's going to need a clone when we wait for him to get used to the Princess, then dredge up all the bholler posts from past BK threads to torment him with. ;P

Ashful likes this.
  9. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Unburned wood and inactive cat?

10. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Again i have never been anti bk in any way other than the looks of the king and princess. And no matter how well it works the stove is still ugly. I am very grateful showerguy has given me the oportunity to try out a bk. But there will not be a princess in my house long term.

11. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    My problem has never been with the stoves. It is with the fan boys that act like no other stove can heat a house without massive amounts of work constantly loading and fiddling with not cats. That simply is not the case

begreen likes this.
  12. showrguy

showrguy
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    You missed post # 422..

13. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    I agree with both posts above: the king and princess might be heating beasts, but appearance still counts for me.
    And saying that non cat stoves are useless, or less efficient or easier (???) to operate is simply nonsense. In fact I own both!

bholler likes this.
  14. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yes i did miss it. I will be swapping it out this weekend. Let me know what you need for your cabin chimney when you have a list. If you need input i could run out to take a look as well.

15. showrguy

showrguy
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    Thanks, but you got my camp stove, this other one is going in my garage here at home, I pretty sure I know what I'm gonna need..
    You around the shop/house tomorrow mid day ??

16. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Ok well either way let me know what u need. And i doubt i will be around but let me know when you are going through.

showrguy likes this.
  17. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    Oi!!

18. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    You said you were going to buy a wetsuit...for the crew as well?;lol

Ashful likes this.
  19. lsucet

lsucet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 14, 2015
    Loc:
    San Ysidro, New Mexico
    Oh boy is hard not to share this. Loaded 25 hrs ago about 3/4 of the firebox with big pieces and tight. Get home saw the ecofan turning slow, cat probe at 10 o'clock. I said well let me turn the air up and went to take care the horses. For my surprise this is what I found after almost an hour outside with the horses. A good piece on left side of the firebox. Amazing.

Attached Files:

AlbergSteve likes this.
  20. tarzan

tarzan
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2014
    Loc:
    wv
    Funny! We perceive you to be anti-BK and you perceive us to “act like no other stove can heat a house without massive amounts of work constantly loading and fiddling with non-cats.”

Maybe the truth is somewhere closer to the middle but ALL wood stoves are massive amounts of work comparatively speaking. But I won’t hesitate to say the BK is so far the best stove I have ever ran!

Highbeam likes this.
  21. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Best for you in your situation from your perspective. And thats great i am glad you found a stove that works that well for you. But that doesnt mean it will be the best stove for everyone in every situation.

If saying that makes me anti bk so be it.

22. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    He’s a mod now, he can change history. But yes... I was planning to have some of the same fun with him, when the time comes.

Of course, now he’s not going to give us the satisfaction.

23. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I think bholler is justified in his opinion(s). Many of us have owned other wood heaters and liked them. They did the job. I hope that he finds our products to his liking and decides the technology is "right for him". If not, no one should be offended, I won't be. Remember, bholler has provided super tech advise and support to many members of this group and certainly thousands more that read these posts and have a better experience from these forums.

Let's not dwell on this.

Now back to the most important issue, where did all the big bucks go?

24. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I am curious what posts you guts are going to bring up of mine that are so anti bk. You guys do know that simply not joining the cult doesnt meant someone doesnt like the stoves.

25. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Oh, c’mon bholler! We are just having some fun with you. No one believes you’re actually anti-BK.

moresnow likes this.