2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel459 is correct...wins final pair!

Thank you all for helping me get that pile of socks off my desk!

Reactions: Nigel459
Ever since its gotten cold here my parents are fighting an icing up issue.

- princess ultra
- OAK
- wood is primarily elm
- 15 feet of flue. 5 feet in house, 3 in attic, rest above roof. It is in the corner of the house
- Winnipeg mb
- ambient temps are -10c to about -25c at night

I can only think that is one or two of the following three: installation, wood mc, procedure. Wood mc should be good but has never been checked. I will do so to eliminate it as a variable.

With procedure I am wondering if the stove is being turned down too fast, or the fan up too high with the thermostat low.

I cant think of anything else that would cause this, any ideas?
This icing up is most common in very cold regions...like Fairbanks. Tell the folks to run it a bit hotter, incrementally, for them to get rid of moisture early in the run. Start with 45 minutes on high, then see if that improves the icing problem. They can turn it down slowly after that as most moisture will have been dealt with.

Reactions: Ashful
Nigel459 is correct...wins final pair!

Thank you all for helping me get that pile of socks off my desk!

Well, now that it’s over, what model is it?

Generation 1, I believe 65 from the grill.

Ever since its gotten cold here my parents are fighting an icing up issue.

- princess ultra
- OAK
- wood is primarily elm
- 15 feet of flue. 5 feet in house, 3 in attic, rest above roof. It is in the corner of the house
- Winnipeg mb
- ambient temps are -10c to about -25c at night

I can only think that is one or two of the following three: installation, wood mc, procedure. Wood mc should be good but has never been checked. I will do so to eliminate it as a variable.

With procedure I am wondering if the stove is being turned down too fast, or the fan up too high with the thermostat low.

I cant think of anything else that would cause this, any ideas?

My first angle would be flue gas temperature. Is that 7' above the roof insulated in any way? My first thought was to wrap it in 3" Roxul and snap a piece of 12" HVAC duct over top, but I am sure there are less hacky ways to insulate it. Another thing that is very important to flue gas temperature? Wood moisture content. Check the wood.

Less water coming out of the stack would be my second angle. Wood moisture content obviously fits into this category also, so it is going to be very important! After that I'd check the stove's air intake. If there is an OAK, is it drawing from a damp place like an insulated crawlspace? Can it be extended to draw from the freezing and dry outdoors? If there is no OAK, is there a humidifier in the stove room or a big pot of water boiling on the stove? The humidity source being moved away from the stove may result in more humidity in the house and less up the pipe.

And there's always 'run it hotter'. Bit of a last resort for me, but easy to do.

Last edited:
Using @BKVP advise of using shorter length of splits, including that I still burning low, my glasses are cleaning on their own every day more and more to the point that I can see now the bk logo.lol.
I have a pile of 13-15" splits that I started using and fair enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_222534.jpg
    IMG_20181205_222534.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 230
Bk chow!

Do you ever load your wheelbarrow and then think about how many days it will keep you warm? This is all Doug fir, having a woodshed is really really nice. No tarps to fuss with.

Attachments

• 201D2114-7C9E-4F0D-8DCA-0D51C2FA7D19.jpeg
    201D2114-7C9E-4F0D-8DCA-0D51C2FA7D19.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 235
Thanks for the replies. I think running "topless" during the cold months might help with the change in procedure BKVP recommended.

The stack is a fairly standard install. Double wall below ceiling and the usual insulated pipe above. There is no extra insulation on the outside of the flue outdoors. That is an option.

The OAK goes straight outside but needs an inspection. Blockage from snow or critters would certainly cause the stove to draw in humid indoor air through any cracks.

Mc will be checked. I think its multiple factors coming together.

Bk chow!

Do you ever load your wheelbarrow and then think about how many days it will keep you warm? This is all Doug fir, having a woodshed is really really nice. No tarps to fuss with.

When I first started to read this post, I thought
you were going to ask if you load your wheelbarrow NS or EW

Reactions: BKVP
When I first started to read this post, I thought
you were going to ask if you load your wheelbarrow NS or EW

East west in this photo but NS as stacked by the house.

Just replaced my door gasket on the princess, a couple minor things with the gasket process. I was a little shocked on how little sealant they use at the factory, hardly a full bead, actually some spots didn't have any sealant at all, the orginal gasket terminated in the worst spot, hinge side of the door approx. 1" from the bottom, and come to think of it, that's where the glass always went black first / thickest deposits. After cleaning the groove out (which was a breeze, less then 10sec) I hit it with a paint brush, I laid a thick bead of sealant then installed the gasket, starting and ending on the bottom edge half way point, I over trimmed so the two edges meshed together and hit a little sealant in the center. I tighten the door handle because it was loose and had let the door sit for 4 hrs. I just put the door back on the stove and had to adjust the door tensioner (it was way to far out, the back nut is now flush with the screw base, I have the door shut and latched, I will until 8 or so before I light a fire, giving the sealant about 10hrs to dry.
Overall I'm very happy to install the new gasket, the old one was crush / hardened, the new is soft and fluffy. hopefully this solves my decrease in burn times I've been having and allows the small t-stat adjustments to be more subtle with changes.
While in the stove box I took the heat shield off the cat, cat looks pretty good, no cracks or gaps, it also was glowing pretty bright last night so I'm still good there.

No tarps to fuss with.
Same here, year 2 with no tarps, I still have tarps on my 3rd year pile out back, but those wont get removed until spring (snow season now)

Just replaced my door gasket on the princess, a couple minor things with the gasket process. I was a little shocked on how little sealant they use at the factory, hardly a full bead, actually some spots didn't have any sealant at all, the orginal gasket terminated in the worst spot, hinge side of the door approx. 1" from the bottom, and come to think of it, that's where the glass always went black first / thickest deposits. After cleaning the groove out (which was a breeze, less then 10sec) I hit it with a paint brush, I laid a thick bead of sealant then installed the gasket, starting and ending on the bottom edge half way point, I over trimmed so the two edges meshed together and hit a little sealant in the center. I tighten the door handle because it was loose and had let the door sit for 4 hrs. I just put the door back on the stove and had to adjust the door tensioner (it was way to far out, the back nut is now flush with the screw base, I have the door shut and latched, I will until 8 or so before I light a fire, giving the sealant about 10hrs to dry.
Overall I'm very happy to install the new gasket, the old one was crush / hardened, the new is soft and fluffy. hopefully this solves my decrease in burn times I've been having and allows the small t-stat adjustments to be more subtle with changes.
While in the stove box I took the heat shield off the cat, cat looks pretty good, no cracks or gaps, it also was glowing pretty bright last night so I'm still good there.

That was your chance to check the glass gasket nuts. They tend to be very loose. The door gasket covers them up!

Bk chow!

I just filled up my little lawn tractor trailer in the woods. Found a small dead standing oak that was broken on the bottom and leaning on another tree (great for dryness, not so good for safe dropping). It's warming up to be tested, but it sounds like windchimes when you whack 'em together! Split it where it fell and hauled it in in two loads.

I did burn wood out of my stacks for a couple days last week due to having 7 workdays in a row. Dry oak is sure a nice change from damp pine!

That was your chance to check the glass gasket nuts. They tend to be very loose. The door gasket covers them up!
I check the door glass, still tight to the frame
I just can believe how much I had to adjust the set screw for the door latch, it was like 5 turns looser, amazing how these gaskets compress over time

On another side note, I have a BK crash kit I keep, I ordered an extra cat, door latch, door gasket, 2 cat gaskets, it’s good stuff to have on hand just Incase you need parts and there are no dealers around for miles

Reactions: Bullyboy
On another side note, I have a BK crash kit I keep, I ordered an extra cat, door latch, door gasket, 2 cat gaskets, it’s good stuff to have on hand just Incase you need parts and there are no dealers around for miles

Good idea, if you plan on keeping your stove long term, you’re gonna use that stuff eventually anyhow. Might as well have it on hand.

Where do you order door seals and cat seals and extra parts right from BK

Well, now that it’s over, what model is it?

Generation 1, I believe 65 from the grill.
1965 Chevrolet Malibu. 1964 and 1965 very much alike. Then 1967 and 68 are alike except tail lights. 69 and 70 etc...

Reactions: drstorm and tarzan
Hi all, the wife now appreciates my firewood burning hobby. We just had our first baby 5 days ago and he never really cries except when he gets cold while changing his diaper.

After a few days of him expressing his deep dissatisfaction we have relocated the diaper changing station and I’m happy to report, he is 100% content with not even a peep from him.....thanks Blaze King!
41196845c48df357d241324768446b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats...looks like a beautiful baby and family taking shape. I know a 59 year old that likes to lay in front of his stove....just no diaper...not yet anyway. Good job to you and your wife!

Hi all, the wife now appreciates my firewood burning hobby. We just had our first baby 5 days ago and he never really cries except when he gets cold while changing his diaper.

After a few days of him expressing his deep dissatisfaction we have relocated the diaper changing station and I’m happy to report, he is 100% content with not even a peep from him.....thanks Blaze King!View attachment 235234

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats! I’m not too far ahead of ya.. got a 2 month old little guy as well.. nice Princess as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chemie and aaronk25
I just filled up my little lawn tractor trailer in the woods. Found a small dead standing oak that was broken on the bottom and leaning on another tree (great for dryness, not so good for safe dropping). It's warming up to be tested, but it sounds like windchimes when you whack 'em together! Split it where it fell and hauled it in in two loads.

I did burn wood out of my stacks for a couple days last week due to having 7 workdays in a row. Dry oak is sure a nice change from damp pine!
I’ve been using my little tractor to help move around firewood too. It sure is handy.

Attachments

• 0134B8B0-BC9B-4352-9504-EC001FFCE72F.jpeg
    0134B8B0-BC9B-4352-9504-EC001FFCE72F.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 7C69B87E-45AD-4177-86B9-AE015E602164.jpeg
    7C69B87E-45AD-4177-86B9-AE015E602164.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 258
Status
Not open for further replies.