2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never called in the warranty either, even though I replace 'em when they are three years old or so. I, too, feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of them. I'll save the cat maker a little money, and hope they put it into R&D. ==c
Yep, they expand with heat, and really conform to the housing to seal nicely.
Looks about right..
View attachment 236457
I might have read it, and spaced it out. Damned bourbon has fried most of the few brain cells I had left. ;lolSo if you've got 10K+ hours on the cat, it may have "diminished effectiveness" and not be eligible for the warranty, correct?
View attachment 236458
Correct

Reactions: Ryan723
Reactions: Woody Stover
Why? This is a bk thread and mimicking the bk cat probe length should yield consistent results.
Federal law requires the "temperature sensing device" be within 1.25" of exit surface of combustor.

What is correct, the fried a few brain cell left?;lol
Woodford, Bulleit and my personal favorite...I.W. Harper. There are others but they come from great states like TN, like George Dickel Barrel Select, but since it's not not KY Bourbon...

I think you’ve beaten the heck out of the door seal. It’s tight, passes the dollar bill test. Let’s move on.

Sorry Highbeam, but I would have to disagree. The gasket might still be the culprit! When I had the smoke smell issue the gasket was dollar bill tearing tight all around. This is what is so confusing about the smoke smell issue.

drhiii,
The smoke smell fix for my stove was a much LARGER gasket. NOT the original. After multiple replacements of the same size, the smoke smell issue was not resolved. I even placed a new gasket in a continuous thick bed of RTV. It helped but did not fix it but this led me to believe I was on the right track as things improved somewhat. Thus, the below test. Only after BK sent a different, much larger in diameter gasket to A-1 Stoves and they replaced it did the "smoke smell" cease.

As an inexpensive test the flat self-sticking gasket can be placed atop the existing gasket or on the knife edge for easier removal. The smoke-smell issue should significantly improve. If it does not improve something else is the problem. The only tool required is a pair of scissors and 10 minutes.

The "physics" of just how "smoke-smell" occurs was never figured out but the fix was.

If the test is successful (much reduced smoke smell but not completely gone), get with BKVP. Door shims might be needed for the larger gasket. Nothing special about the gasket replacement.

Hope this helps.

Sorry Highbeam, but I would have to disagree. The gasket might still be the culprit! When I had the smoke smell issue the gasket was dollar bill tearing tight all around. This is what is so confusing about the smoke smell issue.

drhiii,
The smoke smell fix for my stove was a much LARGER gasket. NOT the original. After multiple replacements of the same size, the smoke smell issue was not resolved. I even placed a new gasket in a continuous thick bed of RTV. It helped but did not fix it but this led me to believe I was on the right track as things improved somewhat. Thus, the below test. Only after BK sent a different, much larger in diameter gasket to A-1 Stoves and they replaced it did the "smoke smell" cease.

As an inexpensive test the flat self-sticking gasket can be placed atop the existing gasket or on the knife edge for easier removal. The smoke-smell issue should significantly improve. If it does not improve something else is the problem. The only tool required is a pair of scissors and 10 minutes.

The "physics" of just how "smoke-smell" occurs was never figured out but the fix was.

If the test is successful (much reduced smoke smell but not completely gone), get with BKVP. Door shims might be needed for the larger gasket. Nothing special about the gasket replacement.

Hope this helps.

This is a princess. The ashford is different. For example, you can’t adjust the hinges with shims. Or are you suggesting adding shims under the door gasket in the rtv bed?

Well, I don't know about the construction of the Princess. I do know some accommodation has to be made for the greatly enlarged gasket on the hinge side or it will be way too tight. If the test improves things BK will provide information on just exactly how to accomplish the gasket installation-I am sure. It is my understanding a very very low % of Ashford had the smoke smell issue. Do you remember how many (if any) Princesses had it too? Adding flue did not help my case but turning the thermostat down slowly after the "load char" did help. The rolling dancing flames of the secondary burn near the glass seemed to push the smoke right through the gasket. No back-puffing, I know from experience each puff can pressurize the firebox. I monitored my combustion with a Magnehelic for a long time. The box remained in a strong negative. How the smoke gets out is a very strange thing.

Lest anybody reading this be alarmed, don't be. My problem is completely resolved and the Ashford is an excellent stove in all respects.

How
Woodford, Bulleit and my personal favorite...I.W. Harper. There are others but they come from great states like TN, like George Dickel Barrel Select, but since it's not not KY Bourbon...
How this one sounds?;)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181223_132643.jpg
    MVIMG_20181223_132643.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: BKVP
This might be correct or it might be total garbage. You don’t know how the springs are wound for the two different meters. There are construction differences with the probe diameter and length that indicate the two meters are not replicas.

After using both I find the numbered meter much less likely to go up past the max.

A thermocouple would be the logical way to go. If you need the actual temperature.

It's certainly close enough for me. I need it to read within 100° at 500 and 1500, and otherwise I don't care.

Then again, I have no idea if mine is actually accurate at those temperatures, so maybe someday I'll rig up a probe and measure it.

Well, I don't know about the construction of the Princess. I do know some accommodation has to be made for the greatly enlarged gasket on the hinge side or it will be way too tight. If the test improves things BK will provide information on just exactly how to accomplish the gasket installation-I am sure. It is my understanding a very very low % of Ashford had the smoke smell issue. Do you remember how many (if any) Princesses had it too? Adding flue did not help my case but turning the thermostat down slowly after the "load char" did help. The rolling dancing flames of the secondary burn near the glass seemed to push the smoke right through the gasket. No back-puffing, I know from experience each puff can pressurize the firebox. I monitored my combustion with a Magnehelic for a long time. The box remained in a strong negative. How the smoke gets out is a very strange thing.

Lest anybody reading this be alarmed, don't be. My problem is completely resolved and the Ashford is an excellent stove in all respects.

This is the first smoke smell Princess I've heard of, and the Princess has been around a lot longer than the Ashford. I'm more inclined to look for a grossly warped door or a missing piece of gasket knife than I am to look at how tightly the gasket is compressed.

I also have to say- if I took the gasket out of my princess and tossed it down the hill, I would have a hot uncontrollable fire, but no smoke smell.

I feel like this has got to be something simple, and the flue is involved.

Reactions: Highbeam
Perhaps a dynamically warping door or knife edge caused by heating. The cases where Ashfords had smoke smell were rare. Perhaps this princess is a rare one too.

It took over a year endless and interesting discussion to nail down the smoke smell issue. Just how can a brand new very tight gasket leak? Never did figure it out. Something dynamic to be sure. Miniature tornadoes in the corners etc. Note the gasket is like steel wool. You can blow through it. It is not a solid barrier.

I just hope drhiii does the simple test. It might be the fix. It seems he has done and looked at everything else and has a nice tall stack to boot.

The bottom line is if this is the fix and is not tried but is the problem, the fix will never be attained. These stoves are welded sealed boxes. Barring any unseen cracks, the only leak points are the door, cat hole and the ash plug.

Sometimes logic does not fix things. Trial and error might.

Last edited:
Okay I can get smoke/creosote smell on my stoves if:

1) I am burning hot hot with flue probe about 900 degrees or so and try to go to my low settings to quick. At that point, if I gradually turn it down to low, no smoke smell. I learn the work around it and I don't feel like I should said, oh yeah I have the smoke smell. Cause I don't unless I chock it down to quick. I think the culprit is excessive draft at some point and out if the blue closing the air.

2) it doesn't like adjustment of the door to tight, the hinges smells for awhile. The way I checked the door aside of the bill test is, if when I close the air the flames stop/disappear, I think there is no reason for adjustment.
Another way I do it is let the wood char for awhile and before it gets to crazy in there and flue temp to hot I dial it to low and let the thermostat control the flames till the point of no flames ( black box ). No smoke smell at all neither that way.
Note for me to smell the smoke smell I have to be real close to the stove, never the smell is around the house or somebody saying/smelling it. Cause the way I burn its a habit I don't get smoke smell. Just those few times we can say.

Note for me to smell the smoke smell I have to be real close to the stove,

I do remember the "smelling the dog" analogy.

I had the same experience once I added the the flat glass tape. If I stood on a ladder the smell could be detected near the ceiling though. Much better but not "fixed".

Slow turn down did help a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: lsucet
my personal favorite...I.W. Harper.
What's that run? I've been thinking it's time to try something a notch up, but my taste buds and sniffer may be out of their league above 40 bucks.
There are others but they come from great states like TN, but since it's not not KY Bourbon...
I'm too close to KY; If I buy anything but Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, they will come after me. _g ;lol
How this one sounds?;)
Sounds cheap. ;) Expected Heat Cycle Time Buck Stove Model 80

What do you think? I am part of your buds team too. I have to keep it under 40 bucks.;lol
I need to revisit the Wild Turkey 101. It gets a lotta love, for a cheaper one, and I do like the Wild Turkey flavor profile..

Last edited:
Reactions: lsucet
Merry Christmas all from the heart of the gold country, Nevada City California.

Merry Christmas to all in this community. You have all helped me with my wood burning endeavors. And it has been a lot of fun reading through thousands of posts here. Special thanks to the mods!!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.