2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our new puppy currently likes to hide behind the stove. I doubt she'll stay there when we actually fire it up...

I put the king in the fall of 2009. Three times last year I did the cat test from the manual, and each time it passed. I replaced the cat today, along with the door gasket. Next weekend is supposed to be cold, and I thought it time to replace the cat.

I was surprised to see the old cat had no physical damage and was relatively free of deposits. I have been burning about 7 cords per year.
That's very impressive! How are you seasoning your wood supply? Nice long life to your cat!

I put the king in the fall of 2009. Three times last year I did the cat test from the manual, and each time it passed. I replaced the cat today, along with the door gasket. Next weekend is supposed to be cold, and I thought it time to replace the cat.

I was surprised to see the old cat had no physical damage and was relatively free of deposits. I have been burning about 7 cords per year.

7 real cords? That’s a lot of wood and usually means you would have long exceeded the rated lifespan of a catalyst. My dead cats look like new as well, just darker in color.

I do not season my wood. I burn tamarack snags that have been standing dead if not for decades, then for generations. Upon occasion some red fir finds its way into the stove.

Last Thursday cleaned the chimney, stove, checked gaskets and put a new ceramic cat in. Ready for another season!

6 month old pup has already found his winter location. :)
BD9AF224-9044-44DA-891C-8AB53356953D.jpeg2DECB086-D658-4B70-84B9-E12A8451E387.jpeg894C4C03-A0CB-47BB-B40E-9FF9A2686460.jpeg

Reactions: Alpine1
I've been running the new Princess for a couple of days. Really happy so far with how things are going. Here's my latest load (white oak and hickory). Started this up around 4pm yesterday on hot coals - dialed down to 2 on my thermostat by 4:30pm-ish. Going on 22 hours and should have a few hours left. I have not tried going lower than 2 but the flap closed just now at 2 after closing the stove up from taking pictures.

Cat probe has been hovering around 11a-1p through the burn (at least during the time that I've been awake). So far, outside of when I first started up the load, I have not had any visible smoke coming from the stack.

Temperatures outside have been mainly in the 30s/40s. House temp (outside of the stove area) have been consistently at 70/71 since my burn-in fire on Sunday. I think the furnace kicked on once or twice this morning - normally have the furnace set to 70 but have it set to 71 first thing in the morning to warm things up a little. I use to have a PE Summit insert down here. I could get the rest of the house to around 71/72 for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of a load but it would drop off - furnace would end up kicking on multiple times during the early morning hours (5-7am). To be fair, I did do quite a bit of insulating down here (lower exposed basement) which I'm sure is helping but the constant heat from the Princess will be a game changer.

I'm going to continue messing around the my thermostat setting with different loads and take notes on what I'm see. Will be curious to see what I can do when the temps start dropping more. If I can maintain a 24 hour burn cycle throughout the winter I'm going to super happy.

So, yeah. This is awesome. Completely exceeding my expectations. I knew I was going to get some decent burn times but I didn't expect this. I have an Ashford Insert upstairs and it's a very different experience (smaller fire box and different cat probe so to be expected) - I feel like I have to fiddle with the Ashford a bit more. I'm already finding that I have to hold myself back from messing around with the Princess and just let it be!

Cheers!

IMG_1845.jpegIMG_1843.jpegIMG_1842.jpeg

I've been running the new Princess for a couple of days. Really happy so far with how things are going. Here's my latest load (white oak and hickory). Started this up around 4pm yesterday on hot coals - dialed down to 2 on my thermostat by 4:30pm-ish. Going on 22 hours and should have a few hours left. I have not tried going lower than 2 but the flap closed just now at 2 after closing the stove up from taking pictures.

Cat probe has been hovering around 11a-1p through the burn (at least during the time that I've been awake). So far, outside of when I first started up the load, I have not had any visible smoke coming from the stack.

Temperatures outside have been mainly in the 30s/40s. House temp (outside of the stove area) have been consistently at 70/71 since my burn-in fire on Sunday. I think the furnace kicked on once or twice this morning - normally have the furnace set to 70 but have it set to 71 first thing in the morning to warm things up a little. I use to have a PE Summit insert down here. I could get the rest of the house to around 71/72 for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of a load but it would drop off - furnace would end up kicking on multiple times during the early morning hours (5-7am). To be fair, I did do quite a bit of insulating down here (lower exposed basement) which I'm sure is helping but the constant heat from the Princess will be a game changer.

I'm going to continue messing around the my thermostat setting with different loads and take notes on what I'm see. Will be curious to see what I can do when the temps start dropping more. If I can maintain a 24 hour burn cycle throughout the winter I'm going to super happy.

So, yeah. This is awesome. Completely exceeding my expectations. I knew I was going to get some decent burn times but I didn't expect this. I have an Ashford Insert upstairs and it's a very different experience (smaller fire box and different cat probe so to be expected) - I feel like I have to fiddle with the Ashford a bit more. I'm already finding that I have to hold myself back from messing around with the Princess and just let it be!

Cheers!

View attachment 265179View attachment 265180View attachment 265181

Awesome! Just look at those numbers on that dial. A thing of beauty.

I bet you could run her lower and longer but that means less heat output. I normally set my thermostat dial on the O of the word normal which has never come close to stalling the cat even though my stack is only 12 feet tall.

The way you describe it makes me think you have an "out then up" chimney system where the 22' of class A is all on the outside of the house? That's not much creosote for such a cold chimney. Do you keep it running hot all season?

I'm terribly sorry, I just saw this reply, been out of town for a while. Not out and up, straight shot up through the vaulted ceiling, about 8' of double wall and 6' of class A.

Reactions: Highbeam
Awesome! Just look at those numbers on that dial. A thing of beauty.

I bet you could run her lower and longer but that means less heat output. I normally set my thermostat dial on the O of the word normal which has never come close to stalling the cat even though my stack is only 12 feet tall.

I think I had it closer to the O (so 1.9) overnight - it's in a corner so it's hard to get a straight on look at it. I think you're right that I could go lower but, at this point, heat output is good and I'm getting 24 that's a huge win. It would be great to load on a 24 hour schedule!

Reactions: Highbeam
New cats are so much fun. Did the replacement go smoothly ?

No issues, popped the old one out, vacuumed everything up, popped the new one in, replacing couldn’t be easier. Ordered from Midwest Hearth, took two days to get it. :cool:

Fifth year running my Ashford 30. Had the first fire of the season last Saturday. The temps dipped to around 40 that night, so I figured it was time for a fire. A load of red oak stayed active for 29 hours, which I let go out due to warmer temps a day and a half later. All from a cold start. The stove still amazes me year after year.

Reactions: JKanor and Nelson
No issues, popped the old one out, vacuumed everything up, popped the new one in, replacing couldn’t be easier. Ordered from Midwest Hearth, took two days to get it. :cool:

That's been my experience too. 209$ every other year. These days, you can't even buy a cord of wood for 209$.

Reactions: Sailrmike
Something I haven’t found here yet..

How do YOU light your blaze king?

The manual wants a small kindling fire, get the cat up, then add some wood. I swear in years past I’ve seen other methods here.

I have been doing a sort of top down start. Trying it on a full load for the first time tonight. Big splits on the bottom, middle, and some smaller stuff sitting on top of a super cedar up top.

Is there a better way to do this? I’m looking for that full load start technique. I don’t plan on opening the door until sometime tomorrow...

B8F8F4DC-C6FD-403D-BA8F-8C929601DC6A.jpeg

A635D87C-7555-43CF-9C89-207E7EFE349F.pngD9FC8D6C-CA49-4284-9DA0-BFD826A8330D.png
Fire starter works great.

Reactions: Nelson
I got a letter from the air police today that I am only allowed to exceed 20% opacity for 15 minutes on cold starts.

I don't know what they are smoking, but if my BK ever again this winter has an inactive combustor I will give it a try.

I got a letter from the air police today that I am only allowed to exceed 20% opacity for 15 minutes on cold starts.

I don't know what they are smoking, but if my BK ever again this winter has an inactive combustor I will give it a try.

Wow that’s an incredibly high standard! I burn good dry wood and usually everything goes along smooth and fast little smoke, but every so often it gets screwed up. How do they enforce, is it mostly complaint driven?

Something I haven’t found here yet..

How do YOU light your blaze king?

The manual wants a small kindling fire, get the cat up, then add some wood. I swear in years past I’ve seen other methods here.

I have been doing a sort of top down start. Trying it on a full load for the first time tonight. Big splits on the bottom, middle, and some smaller stuff sitting on top of a super cedar up top.

Is there a better way to do this? I’m looking for that full load start technique. I don’t plan on opening the door until sometime tomorrow...

View attachment 265207
Purchase a box of Super Cedars. Bigger the box of starters, better the deal. Find another stove user to split a big box with ya. After you go 24/7 the starters get stored. I use about a 1/4 of a puck on a packed load. Cold start. Haven't pizzed around with kindling/small starter splits/paper etc. yada yada yada for a loooong time. Tuck a chunk of SC in where you can and touch it off. Follow the stove directions after that. Done. Nothing else required.

PS. you still have room to fill in with wood in your pic!

Reactions: Dustin
Isn't that contest long over? ;-)

Reactions: Diabel
Isn't that contest long over? ;-)
Yes. However, I like to see all those pets staying warm. I have been pheasant hunting the last two weeks and miss having a dog. But since this is a BK Thread.....I thought I'd challenge the loading capacity of my new KE40.....will all these half rounds fit?
load.jpg

Yes, but I had to split the last one into two pieces. This load consisted of 5 year split and stacked fir without any bark. The Delmhorst J2000 read 9% M.C.

Going to be around 18F for a low this weekend. I may have to reload Friday!

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 140
Yes, but I had to split the last one into two pieces. This load consisted of 5 year split and stacked fir without any bark. The Delmhorst J2000 read 9% M.C.

Going to be around 18F for a low this weekend. I may have to reload Friday!
Oh sure, rub it in lol it's way too warm here. Beautiful setup!!

Status
Not open for further replies.