2020/21 VC Owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 2550, right as you open the ash pan door in the upper corners.

I believe that my primary air may be going out of adjustment.. when the stove is cold.. the primary air door should be closed.. so says the manual... where should be the primary air control handle be...Im assuming all the way back...Is there any recommendations that you you guys have on adjusting the primaryair..... my stove is a 2040
I have no idea how the 2040 is designed. On the 2550 the primary air is controlled by the right hand side lever. The secondary air is controlled by the spring controlled flap.
is your stove behaving any different now?

any thoughts on post 197...
I don’t have a 2040 but when cold and the handle all the way back (kinda pointed towards the back bottom part of the stove). The primary air is completely shut. I’ve not had the experience of adjusting it yet though so can’t help out there.

I have no idea how the 2040 is designed. On the 2550 the primary air is controlled by the right hand side lever. The secondary air is controlled by the spring controlled flap.
is your stove behaving any different now?
yes my secondary temps are not the same. My cat normally runs 12 to 1400 I'm not getting that temp any more.. I swapped to a new cat and the same thing.. I swept the chimney and only got 1/4 cup out of it.. pulled the Telescopeing pipe that connects to the stove and found nothing abnormal. My cat sometimes stalls or runs low as compared to all the years prior... my stove pipe is 8in and draft has never been an issue... I thought maybe the primary air was out of adjustment I adjusted it last night and its a little better but not much andnot running like it has over the years.. I'm now looking for secondary air supply.. this stove has run perfectly and I haven't had to do any work to it so this is a learning experience...

Hm.
And your wood is good? Maybe you are pulling wood from a different wood pile. Low cat temps usually indicate unseasoned fuel

Reactions: moresnow
Hm.
And your wood is good? Maybe you are pulling wood from a different wood pile. Low cat temps usually indicate unseasoned fuel
Its definitely not wood related this woods 15% and I even switched piles and am burning wood thats kiln dried now..

Its definitely not wood related this woods 15% and I even switched piles and am burning wood thats kiln dried now..
Then maybe a blockage in the air flow somewhere.

this is what I'm trying to figure out.. cant find anything on line of where the secondary air is located... im going to go home after work and see if I can locate something...
I did a test and if I crack the door with the cat engaged... it takes right off like normal...

I dont know how the 2040s insides (around the refractory package) are designed. On the 2550 the gases pass through the cat and exit on each bottom side of the refractory. These exit points need to be vacuumed sometimes. Fly ash from the chimney can accumulate there.

this is what I'm trying to figure out.. cant find anything on line of where the secondary air is located... im going to go home after work and see if I can locate something...
I did a test and if I crack the door with the cat engaged... it takes right off like normal...

maybe there a few dust bunnies sucked up in the primary air intake? I seem to remember reading on here about someone having a pile of cobwebs in their primary air duct right past the damper, I don’t remember which thread it was on though.

maybe there a few dust bunnies sucked up in the primary air intake? I seem to remember reading on here about someone having a pile of cobwebs in their primary air duct right past the damper, I don’t remember which thread it was on though.

My stove is pretty clean.. no bunny's

If I remember correctly you adjust the air control to the fully closed position not the fully open position. Sounds right that it would be on a cold stove and with the handle in the closed position. Can you hear the shutter “clack” against the stove when you shut the handle all the way down? What makes you think your primary is out of adjustment?

If I remember correctly you adjust the air control to the fully closed position not the fully open position. Sounds right that it would be on a cold stove and with the handle in the closed position. Can you hear the shutter “clack” against the stove when you shut the handle all the way down? What makes you think your primary is out of adjustment?

I'm not getting the burn i used to. I am looking for information regarding the secondary air.. I am trying to locate the holes around the ash pan area. on my 2024 to see if there's a restriction there. my secondary is not taking off like it should. I started with the primary air and ruled that out...

So yes, with the lever towards the back of the stove the draft control should be closed. Why do we think it needs adjustment again? Late to the party here, sorry.

I'm not getting the burn i used to. I am looking for information regarding the secondary air.. I am trying to locate the holes around the ash pan area. on my 2024 to see if there's a restriction there. my secondary is not taking off like it should. I started with the primary air and ruled that out...
Is there a secondary probe on the 2024? The only EPA holes I know of on my 2250 are right behind the front legs

yes.. I have the AT100 in it..
I mean the secondary probe for the secondary air shutter. Does your stove have it or did VC dump that method for your model?

I mean the secondary probe for the secondary air shutter. Does your stove have it or did VC dump that method for your model?
I am not sure.. Im having difficulty locating information.. I haven't had to do anything to this stove so I dont know...

Came across this thread, seems like a similar problem?
Still looking for a stove diagram. That was just the first thing that popped up.

Last edited:

the pic with the leg is the left side stove of the ash pan, you just can see the edge of the hole.

the other pic has the ash pan latch for reference.

these are of a 2550.

Attachments

• F4988CD8-C9D1-46F5-B746-B1400F88E5A1.jpeg
    F4988CD8-C9D1-46F5-B746-B1400F88E5A1.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 2C2D241D-3142-48E3-8E48-DA4E0400152B.jpeg
    2C2D241D-3142-48E3-8E48-DA4E0400152B.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 132
the pic with the leg is the left side stove of the ash pan, you just can see the edge of the hole.

the other pic has the ash pan latch for reference.

these are of a 2550.
thanks for your reply..I clean that area 2xs a month..

thanks for the pics... ill look at the stove once it cools..

thanks for your reply..I clean that area 2xs a month..

thanks for the pics... ill look at the stove once it cools..
Are you using the rear heat shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.