2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ribs yes, data no.

"This is just a fun thread general discussion of how the stove is running, pictures if the nice fire view, cooking a meal ect and positivity."

Think of it this way. The data information is valuable to folks in the future that may not currently own a VC stove. It's much more discoverable if posted in an independent thread, titled so that it is easily found in a search. Otherwise, a newbie may never know it exists. It shouldn't be in a general thread.

Please keep this generic thread to general chat about the stove or what's cooking on it, etc. If there is information that would be helpful to someone considering a purchase or troubleshooting a problem, put it in it's own thread. In the case of arnermd's data, having its own thread also has the advantage of a year by year comparison.
No problem. Happy with whatever the mods and VC community want to do. I’m willing to acknowledge most people don’t thrive on schematics, data plots, and amateur wood stove engineer conjecture. :)

There are a lot of engineering nerds on this site.

Well looks nice some nice cool weather for this weekend.. I may be doing some burning and seeing how I did with my rebuild.. super stoked
I didn't even notice that, lows in the mid 40's here. Might have to fire up the stove. For sure I need to sweep the chimney this weekend.

Take a picture and post.. im blowing the stink off my stove..

My install is a recently converted from a zero clearance/exterior wooden chase (ie negative efficiency) setup. I could probably make a transformation post. It was quite the adventure.

I’m running Condar flue guard (for double wall flue temps), a magnetic on the stove top, and the auber catalyst probe (tucked in under the open window). Briefly hit 993 for no real purpose. Good to see a fire in the stove again.

Season 2 featuring a blower fan and (hopefully) some attempts at overnight burn! Did 97 cold starts last year (based on my no longer gross of firestarters).

IMG_7315.jpeg

Reactions: arnermd and weee123
View attachment 316362
My install is a recently converted from a zero clearance/exterior wooden chase (ie negative efficiency) setup. I could probably make a transformation post. It was quite the adventure.

Do the transformation post!

I just installed the Auber probe in my Dauntless. It looks like it'll be about 3/4" behind the catalyst. Is this too close for accurate readings?
IMG_0147.jpgIMG_0145.jpg

I’m running Condar flue guard (for double wall flue temps), a magnetic on the stove top, and the auber catalyst probe (tucked in under the open window). Briefly hit 993 for no real purpose. Good to see a fire in the stove again.

Season 2 featuring a blower fan and (hopefully) some attempts at overnight burn! Did 97 cold starts last year (based on my no longer gross of firestarters).

View attachment 316362

That is a pretty setup.. I like the looks.. doesn't look crowded.. open space..

I just installed the Auber probe in my Dauntless. It looks like it'll be about 3/4" behind the catalyst. Is this too close for accurate readings?
View attachment 316365View attachment 316366

If im looking at this correctly.. you actually have the probe on the wrong side of the catalyst.. it should be 2 inches lower.. the bottom of the catalyst is the exit side where the hottest air will be.. better placement would be directly in the center of the chamber.. you have it on the far side of one end.. Im not saying it won't work there if you lower it.. but if you want the most accurate readings the center is the best spot

Reactions: Jmorg
If im looking at this correctly.. you actually have the probe on the wrong side of the catalyst.. it should be 2 inches lower.. the bottom of the catalyst is the exit side where the hottest air will be.. better placement would be directly in the center of the chamber.. you have it on the far side of one end.. Im not saying it won't work there if you lower it.. but if you want the most accurate readings the center is the best spot
The Dauntless probe comes in from the side. There's a dimple in the casting where you drill to place it. I asked someone who has the stock probe, which comes with a bracket, how far it sticks into the chamber, and they said it's about 1/4" from the top left corner. I wonder why the change from the back behind the catalyst to the top left of the catalyst.

Thanks for clarification.. now that you told me the Orientation of the probe.. it looks correct.. from the picture.. I really thought you had it coming up fron the bottom.. so if im looking at it correctly.. you do have it under the cat.. Id probably slide it in more .. youll probably get a more accurate reading.. . if you installed this yourself.. good job.. it will really help you out..What are you running.. Auber AT100??

It's above the top left corner of that cat. I'll probably leave it for now. Not a lot of room to work in there since the stove is set back in the fireplace, and I don't really fancy having to take things apart again.

Reactions: Woodsplitter67
And I'm using a battery powered display. I don't have an outlet nearby. Not the best setup, but it works for the time being.
We get requests every once and awhile for something that doesn't require a cord. What is the make and model? Can you post a picture of it?

It's jut a generic one I got online. It isn't one I'd recommend as it times out and shuts off and isn't back lit. Good enough to get going, but not long term use. Coincidentally enough, I was looking for a better place to mount it and realized I've never look on top of the mantle as it's above my eye line, and I knocked a picture over my wife has placed on top, and it revealed an outlet behind it built right into the mantle! It works too! So I'll be getting an Auber now.
IMG_0157.jpg

Second burn underway..... took a while to get the cat lit off, a couple of hours with a small fire but eventually it went at ~ 620F.... Popped to 850F, no smoke. Windows closed, for now....

What did you do to your stove @Woodsplitter67? Looks gorgeous, as always.
I see you has the refractory out, did you replace it?
Any surprises?

Reactions: gthomas785