A " New and Improved" Vermont Castings ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a 2040 ...don't know this one only the 2 Encore 2550's looked at carefully ,and the 2550 posts here.
Interesting find in the manual Begreen on secondary air. I'll look for it in my manual.
IF my brain can figure out how to post pics Kevin, will do. Give me some brain time.;em
Because of you Kevin I asked and looked at the access panel tab at the dealer. They recast the panel and made the tab larger to hold in place.
Also VC/HHT tested the hardened panels and refractory for breakage. Dealers and VC say it will not crack . ( Maybe, "I will love you in the morning" thing. )

Not a 2040 ...don't know this one only the 2 Encore 2550's looked at carefully ,and the 2550 posts here.
Interesting find in the manual Begreen on secondary air. I'll look for it in my manual.
IF my brain can figure out how to post pics Kevin, will do. Give me some brain time.;em
Because of you Kevin I asked and looked at the access panel tab at the dealer. They recast the panel and made the tab larger to hold in place.
Also VC/HHT tested the hardened panels and refractory for breakage. Dealers and VC say it will not crack . ( Maybe, "I will love you in the morning" thing. )
It will take time and possibly a few dropped splits, possibly a slight overfire. Certainly shouldn’t happen overnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
One thing is certain, you came to the right place. Once you have to rebuild this stove we will guide you through it!

Reactions: bholler
Yeah ok the dealer selling you the stove said it wont break. I am sure they would never stretch the truth. Never mind the fact that i have replaced a few of their unbreakable parts already.

Reactions: webby3650
What is the model designation? I went to VC's site for the Encore Flexburn and the manual listed there was for the 2040.

PS: Time to update your signature line with the new stove

Cast Iron, I got a newer panel from VC that was made in early 18' and it was a little better but not much. There was still at least an 1/8" gap at the top. Glued a flat gasket on the top of the panel and that solved the problem. Maybe there is newer version yet. Still thinking it might be the combuster is off. Anyways take your time with the pictures. Thanks! Kevin

Are the VC/HHT stoves made locally or in China now?

I was. I read somewhere that some casts were actually made in China.
Vermont castings owned their own foundry, and actually produced cast iron parts for a lot of other companies.
Thats part of the appeal from what I understand.

Reactions: Cast Iron
It is the 2040.
Can't update signature until the thing is in and burning.

That magnum on the left looks a lot like those cross-eyed, banjo playing Deliverance people with barrels in Marshall, N.C.
Just trying to help Simon. Like the Oslo ? You play banjo ?()

It is the 2040.
Can't update signature until the thing is in and burning.

That magnum on the left looks a lot like those cross-eyed, banjo playing Deliverance people with barrels in Marshall, N.C.
Just trying to help Simon. Like the Oslo ? You play banjo ?()
I have to say i would without question choose any vc over a barrel stove. Atleast vcs are safe

Cast seems to be getting "defiant" in his defense of his new stove. Hopefully for his sake, he can five to ten years from now come on here and give us all the raspberry salute. I do believe that the reason HHT purchased VC was mainly for the foundry in Randolph. Aside from the obviously better funding available from HHt, history hasn't shown that being bought out by HHT has always been a good thing for any hearth company. I can personally say that Quadrafire (while still a very good stove) wasn't made quite as stoutly after HHT bought out Aladdin steel, Quad's original parent. Of course everyone is trying to make the cost per unit better for them, that's just business I know....

I have to say i would without question choose any vc over a barrel stove. Atleast vcs are safe

I will never forget the glowing VC NC everburn!

I must say, I purchased a VC BBQ 11 years ago! It works perfect, it looks perfect (not a spec of rust). All I do is replace 1AA battery for the igniter every year.

I will never forget the glowing VC NC everburn!
Yes but barrel stoves always glow and that is metal that was never meant to contain thst heat glowing

Can we stick to the stove, the stove, and only the stove ?
All this "VC Derangement Syndrome" VCDS needs a referral for some of you. It's only a piece of cast iron.!!!
With all the flak, I'm looking at some protective PPE Kevlar.....incoming. :ZZZ

Cast seems to be getting "defiant" in his defense of his new stove. Hopefully for his sake, he can five to ten years from now come on here and give us all the raspberry salute. I do believe that the reason HHT purchased VC was mainly for the foundry in Randolph. Aside from the obviously better funding available from HHt, history hasn't shown that being bought out by HHT has always been a good thing for any hearth company. I can personally say that Quadrafire (while still a very good stove) wasn't made quite as stoutly after HHT bought out Aladdin steel, Quad's original parent. Of course everyone is trying to make the cost per unit better for them, that's just business I know....

OK Lark. We may be dead in 10 years, hold onto that thot.
No "defiant" yet. All you VCDS folks have to just read the posts . Only the physical facts as they are, examining the stove OBJECTIVELY .. No burning, no time heating. Just the same as the Kool Aid people (apologies to BK and BKVP and Woodstock for super products that just did not have the specs for my boss. Read. Read. I hear banjos !!! )
"Do you hear what I hear" ? Sing....

OK Lark. We may be dead in 10 years, hold onto that thot.
No "defiant" yet. All you VCDS folks have to just read the posts . Only the physical facts as they are, examining the stove OBJECTIVELY .. No burning, no time heating. Just the same as the Kool Aid people (apologies to BK and BKVP and Woodstock for super products that just did not have the specs for my boss. Read. Read. I hear banjos !!! )
"Do you hear what I hear" ? Sing....
I have examined the new stoves objectivly as i replaced broken parts on them. And take twice as long to clean them properly as most other stoves.

@Cast Iron, seems you're getting a bit roughed up around here, but this isn't really directed at you, rather is certainly based on the experience of the super knowledgeable people here who are totally committed to excellent wood stoves and have been completely disillusioned by the disappointing change in VCs since they were taken over. Maybe this has changed with the brand new models and I'm sure everyone would be happy to hear five or ten years down the line that you have had an incredible experience with this new version of the stove you bought. At the same time, the jury is still out and you just dropped a bunch of cash on a beautiful stove that may leave you wanting more... After all this input from folks here, do you wonder if maybe should consider contacting your dealer and making a switch before you use it, even if you loose a few hundred bucks in the process? Your "boss" may be a little more understanding after reading this thread (though you'll probably get roughed up by her regardless! ;)). You're dealer may carry stoves from other companies, or if you get your money back, you could still probably make it in under the wire to get Woodstock's sale price if you give them a call.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and just want the best for you. Sure it will work out one way or another!

Cast seems to be getting "defiant" in his defense of his new stove. Hopefully for his sake, he can five to ten years from now come on here and give us all the raspberry salute
It is the 2040.
OK, The 2040 has been out for awhile now, so we don't need to wait 10 years. Member @redhat has been burning in one for a few years already and @Dobish too. Charles1981 goes back 5 seasons.

I think you will be fine and happy Cast. Looking forward to seeing the stove in twilight blue. One thing to note, watch the coverplate in front of the cat. Folks have reported it breaking with just a log rolling over and hitting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cast Iron
Cast, I do apologize if I have in anyway actually offended you, I'm hoping you and the new stove the best. I usually am on the receiving end though not directly with all the dealer negativity (a lot of it warranted too) being printed here. I hope that dealers would be advising their customers properly through finding out the customers' needs and guiding them to a sensible and appropriate appliance. I know for myself that is always my goal and I've been lucky enough to always have top end products to offer.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.