A " New and Improved" Vermont Castings ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense taken. From past careers and comps you got to have a thick skin and deal with facts without taking anything personally.
What is surprising is the uniformed emotional state of too many with absolutely NO experience with this product in use or repair. Big talk.;sick
The specs and facts have been posted for informed opinions ( like Begreen , Webby, and the VC owners ).
It's boring to hear hearsay and emotional outbursts and personal attacks from the few outliers. Banjos ? Ready. FIre. Aim.
So wait. See what the actual product delivers. Yes to you deniers :rolleyes:, I am prepared to return any product if it don't do what it should.
Wait.
Pics of the tab reconstruction coming when I get the brain in order with your tips..thx.
Wait.

No offense taken. From past careers and comps you got to have a thick skin and deal with facts without taking anything personally.
What is surprising is the uniformed emotional state of too many with absolutely NO experience with this product in use or repair. Big talk.;sick
The specs and facts have been posted for informed opinions ( like Begreen , Webby, and the VC owners ).
It's boring to hear hearsay and emotional outbursts and personal attacks from the few outliers. Banjos ? Ready. FIre. Aim.
So wait. See what the actual product delivers. Yes to you deniers :rolleyes:, I am prepared to return any product if it don't do what it should.
Wait.
Pics of the tab reconstruction coming when I get the brain in order with your tips..thx.
Wait.
I really hope your stove works out well for you. And yes there are some here poking fun. But most of us that gave real critical info about these stove have first hand knowledge of them by working on stoves that are actually being used in the feild. If you choose to dismiss us as anti vc nuts thats fine. But i hope others reading this are not so blinded by the pretty exterior and listen to those of us that deal with the problems that have arisen with these stoves so far.

Reactions: Diabel
Specifics: models you have actually repaired. Specific parts replaced and sources.
Specific models of VC stoves used and heated with. Real time info, no hearsay or emotion.
The vague criticisms without any fact basis ain't worth it. So ignored as worthless banter.

Our VC Resolute was a heckuva a lot more complex than the Ashley Columbian that I had previously. But it worked very well and maintenance was not a big deal. Both BK and Woodstock stoves are much more complex then our PE, but that doesn't stop people from owning and liking them. If the HHT/VC Flexburn returns to that level of reliability then kudos to them. They still have fantastic quality casting and a classic New England design that is most appealing.

Reactions: bholler
Specifics: models you have actually repaired. Specific parts replaced and sources.
Specific models of VC stoves used and heated with. Real time info, no hearsay or emotion.
The vague criticisms without any fact basis ain't worth it. So ignored as worthless banter.
So you think i should dig through my records to find the model number and part number replaced for all vc stoves i work on??? I am not going to spend my time on that sorry i have better things to do.

I can tell we have several customers with the new flex burn stoves. On those stovesi have replaced one side refractory panel i beleive it was on the right side because it was cracked and falling out. That stove also needed the cover plate replaced. Another needed the whole back panel and cover plate replaced because it was broken. Then there was the one where the fountain or what ever they call it the internal combustion system now needed replaced because the owner broke it trying to clean the stove.

None of these parts were covered by warantee because the damage was supposedly caused by abuse.

I have no emotion here just relaying facts about what i have seen from these stoves in use.

Unfortunately there are a few "experts" just having a VC burnout. One self expert, repairing 1000's of stoves each year ( sure ! ) he says, hates VC "fountain" non cat stoves, a model made and sold by one of the failed VC owners over 10 years ago. An old model not made or sold. A few models in the way past tense. This was a failed product according to hearthnet posts and dealers. The "hardened" Flexburn refractory material has changed. Dealers contacted say that there have been no breakages. Dealers contacted that are not in our region that knew that I would not be a customer. Fact.
So enough blather from these experts and personal insults ( like the banjo people who don't know Dickey's Deliverance ;sick).
How about some objective, fact-based reviews with specifics about the 2040 Encore that we have ? Some with this stove have posted from a real world use. In this Flexburn form, with a new owner, with some retooled parts, and revised warranty it could be a different VC.....or not. We shall see WITH USE.
How about letting some facts about THIS stove come out ?
And you VCDS ( Vermont Castings Derangement Syndrome ) types, post somewhere else. We want factual info. Just the facts.
Pics to come.

Unfortunately there are a few "experts" just having a VC burnout. One self expert, repairing 1000's of stoves each year ( sure ! ) he says, hates VC "fountain" non cat stoves, a model made and sold by one of the failed VC owners over 10 years ago. An old model not made or sold. A few models in the way past tense. This was a failed product according to hearthnet posts and dealers. The "hardened" Flexburn refractory material has changed. Dealers contacted say that there have been no breakages. Dealers contacted that are not in our region that knew that I would not be a customer. Fact.
So enough blather from these experts and personal insults ( like the banjo people who don't know Dickey's Deliverance ;sick).
How about some objective, fact-based reviews with specifics about the 2040 Encore that we have ? Some with this stove have posted from a real world use. In this Flexburn form, with a new owner, with some retooled parts, and revised warranty it could be a different VC.....or not. We shall see WITH USE.
And you VCDS ( Vermont Castings Derangement Syndrome ) types, post somewhere else. We want factual info. Just the facts.
Pics to come.
Just because you dont like facts does not make them untrue. And i dont work on thousands of stoves a year i work on hundreds. We approach 1000 customers a year but they are not all stoves and most stoves dont need work just cleaning and maybe a door latch adjusted or gasket

Last edited:
Reactions: bsutter01
Calling all die hard VC fanatics! Yes, everyone with a new model that absolutely loves it! Don’t want to hear from anyone that has experience with any past products or warranty issues... crickets-crickets-crickets

I’m not sure what your angle is here? Get that thing burning and give us some facts, you certainly don’t want to hear what others have to say. Professionals that truly want the stove do well are insulated, people that have been burned by VC years ago are insulted, people who live in a warmer climate than you are insulted. Everyone here wishes for VC to make a come back, but almost no one is willing to sink $3K into another boat anchor. You did, well hopefully not a boat anchor, but a new “improved” VC. Now we wait for you to give us some facts.

Pics to come.

take a deep breath. nobody wins an argument on the internet.

I think that there are two issues here:
1) You are looking for something that isn't here. There are a few of us that burn the 2040 that post on this forum. All of us have given you our thoughts. Nobody else has used it that posts here, so you aren't going to get an opinion by yelling louder about it. The new ownership has changed some things, and dealers are going to tell you the product is great. When i had an issue with a cracked cat, I had to tell my dealer how to manage it, since they hadn't ever done a warranty. I don't know what their sales of VC overall were, but I'm guessing they have sold a few over the years.

2) You are discounting information based on people that do repairs because they have opinions of a company you like. Not everyone who buys a wood stove is going to post about their experience on the internet. Most people that purchase this stove probably are used to burning an old smoke dragon and will overfire it, abuse it, and damage it. they don't even know that they are doing something wrong until it breaks. This is where BHoller comes in.

Cast, how is the install going? Taking a while......
I would love to see a picture of that black beauty!

I put this post out for info, for actual user time using the stove, for maybe a revision of a name that has failed the market in the past. Risk with this crowd.

Too warm now to buirn the thing seriously. Wait for the actual burn. Read the specs needed. And, it was said that if and only if ( lawyer talk ) the Flexburn fails, YOU will read all about it. It will be returned. Wait.

I can't wait to see pictures of the install, and i hope you get the data you're looking for. There is a lot to learn on this forum. People are up for a good discussion, as long as there is value in it. Provide your experience once it has been installed and is burning. Tell us the issues you have as well as the positive.

Nobody is saying vc can't improve their product and their image, but as this thread stands now, you have added no actual value to help their cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.