Added some color to the woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
In mid- Michigan its ash, ash, and more ash. I'm not complaining but variety is the spice of life! Since our weather is on par with bogydave ....lol , I thought a few pics with snow would really show just how "chocolate brown" this wood is. I've got close to a dozen more trees to cut. On the left is oak for a comparison. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0566.jpg
    IMAG0566.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 666
  • IMAG0569.jpg
    IMAG0569.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 666
I love the color of a nice seasoned cherry split. It begs to be woodworked and not burned. I'm not sure of what you have there though.

Hey wishlist I was out in your neck of the woods today! :lol: Had to run to Maple Rapids,St.Johns,Ovid,Corunna,and Vernon! I was checking out peoples woodpiles all the way there! :)

Gary

wishlist said:
In mid- Michigan its ash, ash, and more ash.
Hey, Ash is my fav. We call it the Oak of the North. I burn it exclusively. It's pretty much that or Birch for hardwoods around here.

I think that dark wood looks like Walnut.

Well it's not birch or spruce.
Don't look dark enough for black walnut, has a reddish tint to it.
Cherry is my guess.
or are you saying it's "ash" ?
What snow, I see some white dust :lol:
8° was our high today. (5° last night)
forecast for your area says 30s & 40s with a mix of rain & snow, Yukky stuff. Next week you might get some cold weather, teens forecast.

Gary, give me a shout next time. We can do lunch!

Dave, its currently 35. What's a few less degrees or a little more snow? I think I can see the northern lights! Oh wait, thats the neighbors Christmas tree! Lol.....

It's not walnut, ash, or cherry. I haven't seen many pics here of this wood. I'll give sav and zap a chance at a guess! :)

Red Alder ?
I bet you can almost se Russia too. LOL :lol:

[quote
I bet you can almost se Russia too. LOL :lol:[/quote]

I've heard that quote before? Hmmmmmm! Lol....

wishlist said:
In mid- Michigan its ash, ash, and more ash. I'm not complaining but variety is the spice of life! Since our weather is on par with bogydave ....lol , I thought a few pics with snow would really show just how "chocolate brown" this wood is. I've got close to a dozen more trees to cut. On the left is oak for a comparison. :)

My guess is Black Walnut.

zap

wishlist said:
Gary, give me a shout next time. We can do lunch!

Dave, its currently 35. What's a few less degrees or a little more snow? I think I can see the northern lights! Oh wait, thats the neighbors Christmas tree! Lol.....

It's not walnut, ash, or cherry. I haven't seen many pics here of this wood. I'll give sav and zap a chance at a guess! :)
Cedar.

I'll be curious to know too, as I think I have some in my wood pile. Does it split easier then anyother wood?

It's Apple. I've burned just small amounts before, branches from my trees, never had the chance to burn great amounts. Should have a good cord when I'm finished clearing this old orchard. Lots of trees, just not a lot of the main trunk. It smells great! Splits easy with the hydraulic splitter. :)

Hey wishlist, is that cedar?

Huh, would never have guessed apple. Doesn't look anything like apple that I have cut. Should be nice burning stuff. Maybe hold a little back for the BBQ?

Me either, the apple I take off my trees is much whiter than that.

I have a cord of applewood that I exclusively use for smoking and grilling on my outdoor firepit.......nothing beats the smell of that stuff burning, and it makes steaks, jerky, and chicken taste out of this world!.....and it lasts a good while when used for firewood.....so I would have to say you got a great pick there, if you don't want it heck I may come out and get it off of ya!

oldspark said:
Me either, the apple I take off my trees is much whiter than that.
the white is sapwood, the dark auburn is heartwood......all of the apple I have cut here in central PA (and I've cut a lot of it) has that same makeup and color.....

Nope, I'd never guessed that was apple.

I'm going to guess apple. ;)

Now that you mention it . . . yeah . . . looks like the apple I cut . . . older apple tree . . . lots of dark heartwood, only a bit of white outer wood.

"Red delicious" apple to be specific :)

Status
Not open for further replies.