• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timberdoodle87

Mar 1, 2022
Athens wisconsin
I just bought a used American harvest 6039 pellet stove from an online market. I took it home cleaned and installed it and it ran great but I had an issue with the stir pot catching. So I fixed that issue and when I was sure it was clean and running great I went and got some wood pellets. I put a bag of pellets in the hopper.
And now the exhaust fan won’t run properly.
When I turn the power on the exhaust fan kicks in but before it can even get up to speed it shuts off. I have tested the fan on and off the stove (using the stove switchboard) and it does the same thing. Spins for a half a second then shuts off.
Is this a fan issue? A switchboard issue? Need some help figuring this out. It will probably become my garage stove after this year as it’s way too efficient for my home and since it’s manual light I know I’ll be sick of lighting it twice a day for 5 months, but I do want to figure this out for the rest of this year as space heaters are way too expensive to run . Any help?

I would start by checking the vacuum switch silicone hose and metal nipple it is attached to. Both could be plugged with soot. Check the end of the rubber hose were it connects to the metal nipple it gets cracked and hard most of the time you can just trim a little off the end and put it back together. If you need a new hose it is a special high temperature silicone can find it easy on line but it is not the rubber hose you buy in a hardware store. When the stove is turned on the control board checks to see if you have vacuum if not it shuts off the exhaust fan. I could also be seal on door take a dollar bill stick it in door shut door and try to pull it out do this all the way around door, You should feel resistance when pulling the bill out. To TEST if it is a vacuum problem you could take the two wires off the vacuum switch and attach them together either with a jumper wire or a paper clip then try starting stove. It is best if you put take on the connection so it does not ground out on stove during test.

pressure switch.jpg vacuum hole.jpg male spaded jumper wire.jpg

I have tested the fan on and off the stove (using the stove switchboard)
Sorry did not see this part, what do you mean you tested fan on and off stove? What are you calling switchboard? Do you have a 4 button control board ie heat range button, room fan button, draft fan button, auxiliary button or does the board say A, B, C? The exhaust fan is a 120 v fan so if you have a old lamp cord you can add spades to it and connect the cord to exhaust motor to see if exhaust fan works.