Another 2 trailer loads to the wood box.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I get about 10 days of burning from 2 trailer loads.
Just a bit windy but some things you have no choice but "get' r done".
One blast of snow hit pretty hard, stings the face. 60 MPH gusts.

Attachments

• 100_6830.jpg
    100_6830.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 769
  • 100_6832.jpg
    100_6832.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 752
Almost sounds like winter. Payback for those warm 22 hours of sun days you enjoyed a few months ago.

Nice work Dave. That dam snow and wind together can be a b....! Life is Have a good one man. And keep up the good work. Thanks for the pics. Look good.

ALASKA with 60mph winds....Those two trailer loads would last me 24 hours.

That wind can really get nasty up there Dave. I'm not a wind lover.

This weather is just too strange, my stove has been cold for almost a week
(cheating a bit with ng in the mornings). It has just been too warm to fire it up.
About to change tonight!!!
Could not help noticing you burn mostly birch. Remember seeing lots of birch in Alaska!! Plus bears!

Diabel said:
This weather is just too strange, my stove has been cold for almost a week
(cheating a bit with ng in the mornings). It has just been too warm to fire it up.
About to change tonight!!!
Could not help noticing you burn mostly birch. Remember seeing lots of birch in Alaska!! Plus bears!
Birch spruce, bears & mosquitoes :)

Attachments

• 248561.jpg
    248561.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 676
Dave - what kind of birch is that? We have Black Birch down here and it's rock solid and burns hot and long. I can't tell from the pic's, but it looks like a hard species of birch.

bogydave said:
I get about 10 days of burning from 2 trailer loads.
Just a bit windy but some things you have no choice but "get' r done".
One blast of snow hit pretty hard, stings the face. 60 MPH gusts.

Nice work in a strong wind bogy, we just filled one rack Sunday and the second rack last night, 49 degrees with a 5 mph wind. ;-)

zap

Dave, love those antlers on your shed. nice bling to it now!

stejus said:
Dave - what kind of birch is that? We have Black Birch down here and it's rock solid and burns hot and long. I can't tell from the pic's, but it looks like a hard species of birch.

I've heard it called white birch, red birch, paper birch.
BTU matches yellow birch on other BTU charts. Black birch is a new one for me.
This site calls it "birch"
http://forestry.alaska.gov/pdfs/08BTUFirewoodHandout.pdf

bogydave said:
stejus said:

I never knew paper or white had that many btu's. I have a few paper (white paper looking bark) birches on my property that are leaning towards the house. Time to take them down and fire them up :). Black birch is common in forests throughout Eastern North America.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Great work Dave and a beautiful sight to see. Very nice end cross-stacking btw!

stejus said:
bogydave said:
stejus said:

I never knew paper or white had that many btu's. I have a few paper (white paper looking bark) birches on my property that are leaning towards the house. Time to take them down and fire them up :). Black birch is common in forests throughout Eastern North America.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

The climate the trees grow in varies the BTU. The BTU chart is use was done locally, I figure it's pretty close. Wouldn't matter though, birch & spruce are my choices, (some cottonwood & alder)
I've been able to get mostly birch & some spruce form a state cutting area. Selective when I can be, but have burned alder & cottonwood. Prefer birch & has best BTUs of my choices.

maxed_out said:
Dave, love those antlers on your shed. nice bling to it now!

Thanks
Hope I screwed them down good. The wind is whipping, had a 70 MPH gust

I have yellow birch as well as black birch on my lot. Have not burnt either yet will report once it is ready!

Nice work in less than ideal conditions. Your wood usage seems pretty good for Alaska.

Cold weather has moved in Dave, huh? I saw single digits in your area on the map last night.
I have quite a bit of birch of all kinds but a good bit of black, I save that for the colder weather.

I let the dog out this evening before leaving for work (I work 5:30PM-6AM). He went about 10ft, turned around and hauled back to the door. I had to walk him out to his "spot" which is at the woods like about 150ft from the house. It was not too comfortable standing there in shorts, house slippers and a T Shirt.

I use a trailer about same size too. It's good for about a week.

NATE379 said:
I let the dog out this evening before leaving for work (I work 5:30PM-6AM). He went about 10ft, turned around and hauled back to the door. I had to walk him out to his "spot" which is at the woods like about 150ft from the house. It was not too comfortable standing there in shorts, house slippers and a T Shirt.

I used to do this many years ago with my first black lab. Our current home has an invisible fence. Greatest creation ever. I never have to take the dog out. Now when it's snowy and cold, she wants back in and will sometimes just do her business right outside the door on the deck (@*%#*). But I don't let her back in until she goes. She runs right for her pillow by the stove. My days of standing out in the cold for the dog to do her business are long gone. I love an invisible fence!

I have one of those too but it doesn't work. Half the time it wouldn't even shock when I tested it. Also the batter in the collar only lasts a couple days at best and I'd never remember to charge it.

Was better to put an overhead cable from back of the house to the woods. Wish he would just stick around but he doesn't. Never figured it out, go camping and he will walk/run along side the Jeeps 20, 30 miles into the woods, sticks around the camp site no trouble.

But at the house leave the door open and not watched for 5 seconds and he's going through the neighbors trash can 3 seconds later.

We have to let our Min-Pin out he back side of the house where the wind isn't so bad.
He gets his business done pretty fast & back in quick & under his blanket. He's a wuss when it comes to cold. :)

Dave, this gives me an idea. The shed is only 13 ft. from the stove room, and the windows in there are only about 18" off the floor (sliders, and they suck, but that's another story).
I could pile a bunch of splits under the window, open it, then just put 'em in the galv. bucket in the room instead of walking around to the front door. I'll have to try it.
Thanks. :coolsmile:

One of my buddies set one up on his deck on heavy duty castors. He puts it in place in the winter, in front of the sliding door to the deck. Slide the door open the wood is right there.
Rolls it to the end of the deck to refill it & rolls it back to the door. Pretty cool. Inclosed on 3 sides & is as high as the door, so not much cold air comes in when the door is open.
Only blocks part of the view out the glass doors. Wood stove only a few feet away. & if really needed, he can move it & use the door.
My wife likes having the wood door into the basement. Saves a mess not having to carry wood thru the house.
So far bugs haven't been an issue, haven't seen any insects on/in the 2 year or older wood.

That load lasted thru today, loaded wood box with 2 more trailer loads.
Burned for 9-1/2 days & it was thru a cold spell -5 to 10 °f.
Up to 15°f today. getting some more snow. I was overdressed, but it felt good to be able to work outside comfortable.
Started on 2nd row, step down method, stacked about 8' high.
I remember some of this wood, it was split before I got the Hyd. splitter, some have multiple maul marks :)

Attachments

• 100_6839.jpg
    100_6839.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.