Anybody ever see what they thought was a cochroach in there wood pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountain man 2

Burning Hunk
Oct 31, 2017
S.C.Pa
Until 2010....we lived in the flat land od pa...then we rented a little cottage in south mountain.
One day while I was ztanding on the porch lookin down at the concrete slab off the porch...I saw this bug scamper across it....upon farther inspection...I said to myself...that looks like a roach (what the hell !!) I knew it didn't come from us or had any in the house.
So I googled it n found out what it was...PENNSYLVANIA WOODS COCHROACH....so I called the exterminator n he said there's not much you can do...they may come in the house but they won't stay.
They actually feed on decayed wood. Sorry no pics but google it n I'm sure some of you seen them n didn't realize what they were...there range is from central to eastern north america.....
We bought a home about 2 miles north of where we have been....I have about 16 cords of firewood stacked n once in a while I see them there...check I'm out..

Reactions: LocustPocust
Yep....see them all the time out and inside our Camp in Elk County PA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: mountain man 2
Looks similar to a roach that I have been seeing in the stacks of late...scared me the first time I seen one go scampering under something when I was reloading the wood furnace. I thought "cockroach!" "where the heck did he come from?!" Did some googling around and found it was just another woodland hitchhiker most likely...no need to call the exterminator...just yet.

Looks similar to a roach that I have been seeing in the stacks of late...scared me the first time I seen one go scampering under something when I was reloading the wood furnace. I thought "cockroach!" "where the heck did he come from?!" Did some googling around and found it was just another woodland hitchhiker most likely...no need to call the exterminator...just yet.
Males are tannish color....3/4 to 1" long....females are smaller ...darker in color...exterminator will prprobly tell you there's nothing they really can do except take ur money..
I did service work on appliances for 20 years...in my area there are a lot of migrant camps....so I seen my share of roaches.
The thing about these....they are not related to food or filth...may n june are there mating season....males are attracted to light n they fly....not bothered by them but found it to interesting...

Reactions: LocustPocust
Yeah, my kid is keeping one of these for a pet. She caught it when she was helping me with the wood. I get the parental credit for letting her have a pet and she gets the opportunity to learn to take care of something that I don't care about enough to take over for her if she falters in the task.

I see wood roaches all the time. I'll get one upstairs every now and again, but it hasn't turned into a problem.

I got them in NW NJ, I to almost freaked out, I previously stayed at a less than desirable hotel for work and all sorts of thoughts ran through my head