Anybody near Wytheville VA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stearn786

Nov 19, 2021
Northeast Georgia
Hey guys,

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of planning to move out of NY. Most of our family is gone, a lot of them are in NC now. Between the crappy weather and the rediculous taxes, it's time for a change. We've been through Wytheville VA quite a few times, it's the scenic route to western NC. It's a very pretty area and the real estate prices seem reasonable.

What we're wondering is how much better the weather is there than Central NY. I don't mind some winter, but up here we have winter from December to May. I would like to find somewhere where winter is warmer and not nearly as long. I've looked into some climate data and temperatures and Wytheville seems decent (compared to CNY), but I'd like someone's take on it that actually lives there. When does spring generally show up, for instance? Is there a lot of crime in the area? Thanks in advance for whatever you come up with. There's a lot of USA out there and we'd like to start narrowing down the search in the next year or so.

Winter ends in the second half of March there, I think. But that depends on what you think is the end of winter,.and how high you live on the hills there.

Traffic police is very strict there (don't ask....).

Went to school in Blacksburg- and hunt a lot in CNY. Night and day. Overal snow comes, but it goes usually, doesn't stick around for weeks or the whole winter. Lots of ice storms and occasionally a blizzard, but again it generally doesn't stick around long. Enough 50 degree days in winter to feel really good. Can be very hot in summer. Humid.

I would Keep going south to TN just for the tax break. FYI. Just over the line near s Holston lake to be exact.

Went to school in Blacksburg- and hunt a lot in CNY. Night and day. Overal snow comes, but it goes usually, doesn't stick around for weeks or the whole winter. Lots of ice storms and occasionally a blizzard, but again it generally doesn't stick around long. Enough 50 degree days in winter to feel really good. Can be very hot in summer. Humid.

I would Keep going south to TN just for the tax break. FYI. Just over the line near s Holston lake to be exact.
Thanks for all the info everybody! We're going to NC to visit family in a couple weeks, we'll dawdle in this area for a little while on the way and check out some more possibilities