Anyone else fired up their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Been cold here the last 2 days -5::C last night -4 tonight
today the temp did not get above 12::C so the stove was on low all-day
keep this old farmhouse warm. Has anyone else had the pellet stove running?
Warming up next week

First firing for this season yesterday morning to get the chill out of the air. And again this morning, 9/20/20.

Last edited:
Once when it got down to 30f. Back to furnace for now (Heat Pump). Cheaper than Pellets
Ya once we need more constant heat I'll bump up the thermostat for the main heat. I generally fire the stove around now in the mornings, don't need to heat the upstairs bedrooms that directly yet with the ladies sleeping up there they would both be cooked out ( big cast iron radiators up there). I'm an early riser, like 4 am and it was not cold down here but not warm either. The stove feels nice for 3-4 hours in the morning. It's 72f down here now.

Started up the P43 on 9/12. It is on a thermostat, so only runs as needed. Has run almost every morning since I started it up (I think Wednesday it didn't run because low was only 64* and no wind). I lit the pilot light on the boiler about a month ago to take care of the occasional chilly night, but pellets are much cheaper for me, so once it became a daily need, the pellet stove was unpacked from its summer hibernation.

The P61a is still asleep, although I see it coming out soon. The basement is at 65* which makes the feet chilly contacting the main level floor. I'm actually unpacking it today but may wait before turning on the thermostat.

Last week, and it’s running right now for an hour or so...chilly mountain mornings

Had ours on about a couple of weeks ago. Ran it for about 4 days when it dipped into the high 30's and 40's. I always like to have a fire in the house...............I mean contained fire, the non contained ones are not good for the ole heart.

Reactions: bogieb
Fired my 52i up for the 2nd morning here just to take the briskness out of the air . So far so good since I installed a block off plate and have a functioning OAK now. It is Stove Chow's this year as I refuse to pay 3-320 a ton for pellets when oil is 1.60 a gallon

Havent fired up the P61A yet but did run the oil firnace overnite this weekend. It will be soon enough burning the pellets. Usually starts mid October but could be sooner here in Eastern Pa.

Reactions: jackhammer
Ya once we need more constant heat I'll bump up the thermostat for the main heat. I generally fire the stove around now in the mornings, don't need to heat the upstairs bedrooms that directly yet with the ladies sleeping up there they would both be cooked out ( big cast iron radiators up there). I'm an early riser, like 4 am and it was not cold down here but not warm either. The stove feels nice for 3-4 hours in the morning. It's 72f down here now.
We are just the opposite. I run the biomass stove when it gets cold as in below freezing for a long period and the stove just supplements the central furnace because propane (for me) is a lot cheaper than pellets and corn even though my corn is relatively cheap (grown on my own land and harvested with my equipment, but, I still have to dry it down below 12% or I cannot tank it, it would mold and turn to stinky concrete in the grain tank. I use propane 'dryer gas' to dry it down. Dryer gas is tax exempt. I keep maybe 1/10th of what I harvest, the rest goes to Andersons and what they do with it, I have no idea. They might be sending it to China for all I know.

They do own a couple e-gas plants but e-corn is a specific variety and I don't grow it.

Dumped the first bag of pellets in the P61A this AM.
61 degrees in the kitchen was not liked by The Princess.
Two hours later, we're at 67 & climbing...
Soon enough the smell of popcorn will be filling the morning air here at our place. I do like the aroma of roasting field corn.

I fired mine up for about 20 minutes on 9/12 just to make sure there were no issues. All was good. Since I was headed out for another considerable surgery, not sure what I’d be able to accomplish when I got back. My dad is back up there now.

I fired mine up for about 20 minutes on 9/12 just to make sure there were no issues. All was good. Since I was headed out for another considerable surgery, not sure what I’d be able to accomplish when I got back. My dad is back up there now.
Best of luck with your surgery, prayers sent...

Reactions: tlc1976
Havent fired up the P61A yet but did run the oil firnace overnite this weekend. It will be soon enough burning the pellets. Usually starts mid October but could be sooner here in Eastern Pa.
Same for me. I run my oil furnace for an hour in the morning. I work nights so no need for heat while I’m sleeping during the day. By supper time, the house may need a little heat, but not enough to justify firing up the stove. Yet. I’m glad I cleaned the stove in the spring so it is ready to go.

Reactions: Tonyray
WOW. I got home from 2 weeks at the beach late yesterday; before I left, had turned off the A/C, it was that warm at the time. Came home to 69F in the house, did not turn on the boiler, turned on the Accentra. I last turned it off in May, NOT CLEANED, 1/4-full hopper. Fired right up. Did I mention WOW? Sometimes I wonder why this stove is so cantankerous, sometimes I marvel at its resilience.

WOW. I got home from 2 weeks at the beach late yesterday; before I left, had turned off the A/C, it was that warm at the time. Came home to 69F in the house, did not turn on the boiler, turned on the Accentra. I last turned it off in May, NOT CLEANED, 1/4-full hopper. Fired right up. Did I mention WOW? Sometimes I wonder why this stove is so cantankerous, sometimes I marvel at its resilience.
Ya the biggest thing I've found that could cause a misfiring is to make sure the hatch under the burn pot is cleaned out of ash. If that builds up you could get lazy starts or a no start. Mine fired right off this year too. All I did is shut it off in the spring and leave the main door cracked open an inch or so so condensation wouldn't build up inside.. So to fire up I cleaned under the burn pot, it fired right up on the pellets left in the hopper from last season. A day later I gave a partial clean and dumped the ash pan which was pretty full. Then it warmed up Wed or so, been off ever since.

I was looking forward to a first test run of the season after cleaning out my stove and replacing a gasket. Plugged it in to reset the service time. Well I woke up to a surprise fire in the pellet stove at 6:30am today. Forgot I still had the timer on. Sure took all the suspense out of watching the pellets fall and waiting to see if it would ignite.

Yes we actually fired up the new Enviro meridian we just installed getting use to how it works .

yes sir the Maxx has been burning as needed for the last week or so.

Reactions: Harman p-68a
Best of luck with your surgery, prayers sent...
Thanks. I’ve been home for awhile. Slow recovery. My mom hauled in a few bags since I can’t. Been running the stove the last few nights. Been down to almost freezing and days in the 40s.

Not yet. I just removed the window AC units yesterday, a little bit late.
I was going to fire it up for a test today.
Should fire it us soon enough for heating.

Bill

We really needed ours for heat last night, was 32f overnight.