Anyone planning on buying a pre-2020 wood stove in 2020?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sorry Im late to this discussion, what is the main things that will be done to make them more efficient? I figure must be more air and make them run hotter, ?? Bigger cat? thanks!!

It depends on the stove. There are some that just have had minor modifications and some that have had major ones.

Reactions: blacktop37
Not so, some 2020 compliant stoves have been selling for a good part of 2019.

My mistake. What I had meant to say is:

My understanding of the rule is the *manufacturers* cannot sell 2020-noncompliant units (to retailers) after 12/31/19.
.. and that retailers then have until 5/31 to sell non-2020 stock.

I just looked at Lopi's website for the first time in a while and a few models are gone from their insert lineup.

i'll probably start sending out feelers from regional shops in March. not sure what inventory will be left, but buyers will be ion drivers seat for a change. bring cash!

i'll probably start sending out feelers from regional shops in March. not sure what inventory will be left, but buyers will be ion drivers seat for a change. bring cash!
Chances are there will be very little is any choice in pre 2020 stoves t that point.

maybe, maybe not.
Probably not. Many stoves have been out of production for a while and are getting harder to find. By March I really doubt you will have much choice left.

The dealers around us were blowing out their inventory of 2019 models. I was looking at a Quadra-fire, and the old models were being made to order until the end of the year, with 3-6 wk wait times.

I bought a 2019 Pacific Energy Summit LE Insert, and it was already under the 2020 spec, so I don't believe it is changing for the new regs.

The dealers around us were blowing out their inventory of 2019 models. I was looking at a Quadra-fire, and the old models were being made to order until the end of the year, with 3-6 wk wait times.

I bought a 2019 Pacific Energy Summit LE Insert, and it was already under the 2020 spec, so I don't believe it is changing for the new regs.
If it has already been tested using the 2020 standard and method no change would be needed. The regency pro line needed no physical changes but they had to be retested and renamed in the 2020 compliant version.

I just picked up a Jotul Oslo floor model for about 50% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a Jotul Oslo floor model for about 50% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. There will definitely be deals out there. Especially because most floor models will have to go

Can you tell me who sets the regulations for stoves in the US? Or is this an industry standard? Here in my part of Canada the standard is set by my city. (We just installed a Regency that is compliant with city regulations).

Can you tell me who sets the regulations for stoves in the US? Or is this an industry standard? Here in my part of Canada the standard is set by my city. (We just installed a Regency that is compliant with city regulations).
It depends what regulations you are referring to

In Canada we adopt the CSA B415 emissions standards. This CSA standard is the same as the EPA at a max of 2.5 g/hr.

Montreal just implemented the standards a year early, and required all old non EPA 2020 compliant appliances to be replaced with new versions due to poor air quality.

Most other jurisdictions in Canada have allowed all older appliance to remain in operation, just new ones must comply with the new standards.

In Canada we adopt the CSA B415 emissions standards. This CSA standard is the same as the EPA at a max of 2.5 g/hr.

Montreal just implemented the standards a year early, and required all old non EPA 2020 compliant appliances to be replaced with new versions due to poor air quality.

Most other jurisdictions in Canada have allowed all older appliance to remain in operation, just new ones must comply with the new standards.
It is pretty much the same in the us as well

Thanks. So even though the Regency we bought and installed was bought in 2019 it is 2020 compliant, so the "2020" refers to EPA /CSA standard and not when the stove was manufactured? (I understand the emissions figure is for only when using the catalytic converter?)

Thanks. So even though the Regency we bought and installed was bought in 2019 it is 2020 compliant, so the "2020" refers to EPA /CSA standard and not when the stove was manufactured? (I understand the emissions figure is for only when using the catalytic converter?)

Not necessarily it depends on the model you have.

At first the City of Montreal had to look at the old EPA regulations to decide whether or not to allow the appliance to be installed as most appliances weren't tested to 2020 standards yet. So if an appliance was certified to meet or exceed the old 4.5 g/hr spec but its rating was less than 2.5 g/hr it was allowed while not actually being tested to the 2020 standards.

My mistake. What I had meant to say is:

My understanding of the rule is the *manufacturers* cannot sell 2020-noncompliant units (to retailers) after 12/31/19.
.. and that retailers then have until 5/31 to sell non-2020 stock.
The deadline for the sale of Step 1 heaters (those not meeting EPA's 2020 requirements) is the same for all vested parties. The rule call distributors and retailers "commercial owners". Manufacturers and commercial owners can make and sell Step 1 heaters until May 15, 2020. EPA did not provide a "sell through" period as has been provided in the past rule makings.

And for relatives in Canada looking to buy a wood stove........

img088 (3).jpg

Well, being a huge Jotul fan for years and years, the F500 is still my favorite full cast stove. While I'm glad to see Jotul keep her and get it approved, it is different. Its price increase isn't helping either. With just the Oslo and 602 approved now, it leaves Jotul way behind. This company has been around since 1853, I do believe it will survive. We sell a lot of gas stoves and Jotul fills that nicely. What the new specs have done is make stoves like Osburn and the new Regency 2451 cast insert more popular.

Well, being a huge Jotul fan for years and years, the F500 is still my favorite full cast stove. While I'm glad to see Jotul keep her and get it approved, it is different. Its price increase isn't helping either. With just the Oslo and 602 approved now, it leaves Jotul way behind. This company has been around since 1853, I do believe it will survive. We sell a lot of gas stoves and Jotul fills that nicely. What the new specs have done is make stoves like Osburn and the new Regency 2451 cast insert more popular.

Isn't the F45 V2 approved too?

Hi Rosem, oh yeah forot Greenville- yes its approved, we just recently got her back on the floor. Hope the Carrabassett gets through, she is a heat-beast!