Assembling stovepipe part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadog2

Sep 21, 2009
CT
1}Is it better to crimp pipe first , then snap together or snap together first, then make the crimp?

2} What is the easiest way to snap together the pipe? { I've gone down this road before...}

3} I'm assuming a dry fit should be made first for all pipeing, then screw together after completed?

I had my first experience with split pipe this year. I found it was easier to cut it when it wasn't snapped together. Also, I carefully taped painters tape around the area I wanted to cut; so I'd have a straight line to follow. Putting it together can be a real bear until you figure it out. After cutting it, I opened up the crimp on the cut end, that was always mashed down a bit from cutting. Start at one end, then work the pipe together. I held it between my legs. It takes some work, but the stuff then magically pops together. I had to make a few cuts to one sections. After the third cut, I could get it to pop together somewhat easily. Oh, I wore gloves handling the stuff after I cut it...too many sharp edges on the cut end.

is the purpose of the crimp just to make one end smaller so it fits into another piece?

Crimp before putting together. And remember, crimp end down when putting together.

Putting that pipe together after making the crimp can be fun. It gets easier with time, or so I am told. I still don't like to do it....

Status
Not open for further replies.