ATV. Is it worth to invest? Look at some ooptions here in CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi, I just found that ATV is not that expensive. I heat with wood 24/7 and using zero turn to haul it , not going well in in a winter. I have drive way that 400 long and it takes some time to clean it wit snow blower. Should I invest in ATV? ATV owners , what is your take on it?
upload_2019-8-23_2-34-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ATV price seems reasonable but don’t know pricing is USA. Using an ATV to plow is great as I do my driveway which is 250’ long and 12’ wide at beginning widening to 50’ halfway down. One thing you have to remember is you have to be able to plow wider than your driveway at the start because of snow accumulation through the winter. So if your driveway has trees along it it’s hard to plow beyond edge of driveway. If you do, you can plow as far as possible and run your walk behind, assuming that’s what you have, to blow further. However you have to do this right after plowing or snow will harden like concrete. I have a small tractor and 50” 3 point hitch blower to do this after plowing. Plows at least 60” wide are better so when angled you’re still pushing snow and not driving on part of the snow. Last winter I put over 21 miles on mine just plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get any equipment that would make my life easier. I have 2 ATVs one is a 400 the other is a 700.... i wouldn't buy anything smaller than 400. Throw a wench on it and your in business. You can hall a log splitter to your site, hall logs out with a cart, pull logs out that you cant get to, hall your gear, it will plow your snow. Theres not to much to think about. Get the ATV. The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: jaoneill
Once you have one you will not be able to get by without it.
Make sure you research the model you buy before you go look at it...some are better than others for sure...might want to check what brand dealers you have nearby to get parts and service as needed too.
Older models did not have titles...and then it depends on the individual state as far as when they started to title them when sold new...some states as early as the mid to late 80's, some as late as the late 90's.
There are lots of used bikes out there who's title has been lost, but lots of stolen bikes too...beware. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is...

That Yamaha Big Bear 350 is a fairly reliable machine...but being full time 4x4, they are real tanks to steer...and the forward reverse shifters were not very smooth either! (and that is important for plowing!)
I personally wouldn't have an older Polaris (especially the 2 stroke stuff!)...their newer stuff is fine, but their older quads were second rate IMO. (In others words, there are better options)
Those Honda 650 Rincons had some transmission issues...but I have been out of the industry since 2006 too, so I'm not sure if they ever got a handle on those or not. (Probably, Honda enjoys a great reputation as I'm sure you are aware...but Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha have really stepped up their game on ATVs (and other stuff) in the last 15-20 years though too)

Reactions: jaoneill
Going to start another thread to see what a " must" in ATV for my purposes.

That looks like a kawasaki prairie 300. Those are good bikes. I would stick with Japanese made atvs, honda, kawasaki, Suzuki, yamaha. They hold up better than polaris or arctic cat. One thing I did like about some of the arctic cats was the foreward and reverse lever. It was like a shuttle shift. Would be nice for snow plowing. I will mention that arctic cat and polaris are more expensive to work on too.

Reactions: SCOTT S.
Cats more expensive? I didn’t think so! FYI older Cats using the 250,300,400 oil cooled, and 500 liquid cooled use Suzuki motors. Engine related parts can be sourced at Suzuki dealers for around 30% less than at Cat dealers. In order of equivalents they are the Ozark, king quad LY for 300 is 2002, Eiger and Vinson.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Cats more expensive? I didn’t think so! FYI older Cats using the 250,300,400 oil cooled, and 500 liquid cooled use Suzuki motors. Engine related parts can be sourced at Suzuki dealers for around 30% less than at Cat dealers. In order of equivalents they are the Ozark, king quad LY for 300 is 2002, Eiger and Vinson.

The 4wheelers them selves are cheaper when buying used. The parts thing, a lot of people dont know that a lot of Suzuki parts will work. When buying arctic cat brand parts, I find them more expensive. I had a 400 arctic cat and the magnets came loose on the flywheel. Once I figured out what suzuki was the same the flywheel was almost $200 cheaper for the suzuki part vs arctic cat. Same part too.

Arctic cat also had a 650v2 which used a Kawasaki 650 v-twin. I know my 4wheers. I have been around and worked on them for over 20yrs.

Arctic cat also had a 650v2 which used a Kawasaki 650 v-twin. I know my 4wheers. I have been around and worked on them for over 20yrs.

And they have their issues mostly carb related. I do think that most fuel issues are due to ethanol fuel use and lack of ATV use where they sit for long periods. I don’t use ethanol in any seasonal ride or equipment and have never had a fuel related issue.

The 4wheelers them selves are cheaper when buying used. The parts thing, a lot of people dont know that a lot of Suzuki parts will work. When buying arctic cat brand parts, I find them more expensive. I had a 400 arctic cat and the magnets came loose on the flywheel. Once I figured out what suzuki was the same the flywheel was almost $200 cheaper for the suzuki part vs arctic cat. Same part too.

I have an 03 400 bought new and still going strong. No issue and hope to never have one. Flywheels updated in 07 and Cat replacements are too. Still cheaper at Suzuki.

I had an 05 400 le. I was working on it for a guy and he didnt want to spend that much on it. So I bought it and fixed. I do agree 100% with out on ethanol causing a majority of problems especially if they sit for long periods of time. I only use non ethanol premium and put startron addative in it. I do t have any problems. Actually today I thought I need to start my generator. It has been sitting for over 10 months. Havent messed with since our little guy was born. I turned the gas on and pulled it 1 time and it started and ran. So that's saying something about using a good gas.

I’ve been using my 06 Honda Rubicon 500 up here for hauling locally found scrounge wood since I bought it new and it’s indispensable to me. I have a swivel/dump Polar 1200lb trailer with the add-on rails for it and the combo works great for me. I also plowed a 700’ driveway with a 5’ plow for years with it. Now my driveway is a measly 100’ but I still use the ATV and sometimes my skid steer to plow/bucket it. Plowing with a ATV is ok if you don’t get a huge dump I g of wet snow but eventually the snow will build up in the side of the driveway and you’ll have to use a snowblower to widen the lane or have a truck with a plow try to widen it. Up here you can drive a ATV/UTV on most roads legally and there’s lots of trails to ride them on too so most everyone has one or the other or both.

Last edited:
If I was choosing between the three it would be an easy choice . . . the Rubicon. Newer, more CCs and being that it's for work you pretty much cannot go wrong with a Honda. Hondas are often more expensive and their "tech" lags behind many of the other brands (i.e. many models still use disc brakes), but they are, as a rule, pretty tough. Second choice would be the older Yamaha.

I don't have any real advice on what to choose since I have only been experienced with my used 2011 Polaris Ranger. I have been in a new Japanese diesel side by side that someone unbelievably paid 30 something for that I wouldn't trade my Ranger for straight across if you don't consider the money value. I paid 5k for my Ranger used 4 to 5 years ago and couldn't be happier other than I wish it had power steering. Look for a deal used would be my advice and a 2011 Ranger 500 would be on my short list.

Last edited:
If I was choosing between the three it would be an easy choice . . . the Rubicon. Newer, more CCs and being that it's for work you pretty much cannot go wrong with a Honda. Hondas are often more expensive and their "tech" lags behind many of the other brands (i.e. many models still use disc brakes), but they are, as a rule, pretty tough. Second choice would be the older Yamaha.
I can remember when I got my Rubicon 500, the dealer told me if it would mostly be a working ATV to get that model since it had a straight rear axle and that it would be better for working. I’m glad I listened to him since I hardly ever put my ATV on the trails to ride and like you say a tough one at that for the most part.

Last edited:
I don't have any real advice on what to choose since I have only been experienced with my used 2011 Polaris Ranger. I have been in a new Japanese diesel side by side that someone unbelievably paid 30 something for that I wouldn't trade my Ranger for straight across if you don't consider the money value. I paid 5k for my Ranger used 4 to 5 years ago and couldn't be happier other than I wish it had power steering. Look for a deal used would be my advice and a 2011 Ranger 500 would be on my short list.
I think you mean the Rincon above, the Rubicon like I have is more of a working ATV. The Rincon is a trail machine. It has 3 speeds as opposed to the Rubicons 5 and it has an independent rear suspension where the Rubicon has a straight rear axle that’s better for work but not so good on the trail.

I think you mean the Rincon above, the Rubicon like I have is more of a working ATV. The Rincon is a trail machine. It has 3 speeds as opposed to the Rubicons 5 and it has an independent rear suspension where the Rubicon has a straight rear axle that’s better for work but not so good on the trail.
The older Rubicon has the 3 speed like the rincon has. They did a complete make over on the rubicon.