Best "Tip" you've learned here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1- Getting a couple of years ahead on wood.

2- Buying a larger stove rather than a smaller one. (Can always build a smaller fire in a large firebox but you can't build a larger fire in a small firebox.)

3- Wood stacking techniques.

4- Stove toys can be expensive - IR thermometers - moisture meters - splitters etc....

5- The benefits of a good pair of long hearth gloves.

6- Ashes to clean the glass although Adios P. has other methods for glass cleaning that are 'X' rated. :bug:

7- That I am not alone in my passion for burning wood as a means of keeping warm.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Before I ever used a splitter, I knew I wanted to use it "Dennis's way" . Damned if he wasn't correct :)

Naah naah nah nah naah @ Jake :p

The 3 year rule applies... it takes 3 years to get your firewod manure(aka sh!t together ). Lucky I am that I'm into year 3, putting in a second stove, and have the wood ready to do it.

Another disciple to Dennis' cause. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Before I ever used a splitter, I knew I wanted to use it "Dennis's way" . Damned if he wasn't correct :)

The 3 year rule applies... it takes 3 years to get your firewod manure(aka sh!t together ). Lucky I am that I'm into year 3, putting in a second stove, and have the wood ready to do it.

I'm tell'in ya - his evil plan is beginning to take hold.

I was going to say dry wood but after this thread I gotta go with the Tunnel of Love! ;-)

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

Nothing evil Jags. It just goes to show we have some intelligent folks here on hearth.com. Besides, Halloween is already past.

The biggest think I've learned on this forum is that I know practically nothing. But I'm trying to learn.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

Nothing evil Jags.

I hear ya saying it, but the dastardly laugh that follows gives it away. ;-P

Checking Craigslist for free wood.

Attachments

• IMG_3051.jpg
    IMG_3051.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 413
Stack your wood on pallets.

A cord is a cord.....unless you sell firewood. Than a cord is 2/3 cord.

Firewood sellers concider cut 2 years ago and split today equals seasoned.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
1. Don't buy Vermont Castings ;)
2. Wood takes a full year to season
3. Top-down fires

~Rose

Especially No. 1. And to think I almost bought one. Found this place just in the nick of time. Thanks to all!

Stubborn Dutchman said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
1. Don't buy Vermont Castings ;)
2. Wood takes a full year to season
3. Top-down fires

~Rose

Especially No. 1. And to think I almost bought one. Found this place just in the nick of time. Thanks to all!

I did buy one - and found Hearth.com too late and that was one expensive mistake. Which brings me to my list of what I learned here...

1) Ditto to dry wood and all related topics (you can't buy it, it takes time etc...)
2) If it is possible to get a stove to burn (even one that is more challenging) there are folks here who can help you do it.
3) There is a company up in NH called Woodstock that is seriously dedicated to customer service and making some really top-notch stoves. - Seriously, I never heard of them before I came here.

BrowningBAR said:
adrpga498 said:
Make the little V out of aluminum foil to put on the "right " side of the stove top thermometer needle. This wll show you how hot the stove got while you were away, or during overnight burn .

I still need to try this. And I really should with the Vigilant.

Anyone have a photo of this, or a link to the thread? I'm trying to figure out the orientation.

for me ,the importance of really dry wood,and there are some great stoves made in norway.....and here too i guess...

Jags said:
"Wood is not a sponge" - Delta-T

And he was right, it doesn't clean up grape juice worth a darn.

actually Jags, I cannot take credit for the "wood is not a sponge", this knowledge was imparted to me by Dennis. I did do that part about the grape juice though. Glad you tried and confirmed what was just a suspicion...until now. I just put in in my sig because I figured everyone should be privy to this information.

RenovationGeorge said:
BrowningBAR said:
adrpga498 said:
Make the little V out of aluminum foil to put on the "right " side of the stove top thermometer needle. This wll show you how hot the stove got while you were away, or during overnight burn .

I still need to try this. And I really should with the Vigilant.

Anyone have a photo of this, or a link to the thread? I'm trying to figure out the orientation.
al foil moves to the right as the temp rises. when temp falls the foil stays so u know max heat

Delta-T said:
Jags said:
"Wood is not a sponge" - Delta-T

And he was right, it doesn't clean up grape juice worth a darn.

actually Jags, I cannot take credit for the "wood is not a sponge", this knowledge was imparted to me by Dennis. I did do that part about the grape juice though. Glad you tried and confirmed what was just a suspicion...until now. I just put in in my sig because I figured everyone should be privy to this information.

No surprise - Dennis is just a sharp cookie like that. And you are correct, everyone should have valuable knowledge like this at their fingertips.

all i learned was from my dad and expierience from myself and brothers. i enjoy this site and am mildly amused by some of the questions. at least it shows that some people are trying!! where i live is always a few nights of -40f every winter with days and days of -0f on end. i gather my own wood whenever i can (free heat) and have been using the same saw since 1984. take care of it and it lasts!!

yooperdave said:
all i learned was from my dad and expierience from myself and brothers. i enjoy this site and am mildly amused by some of the questions. at least it shows that some people are trying!! where i live is always a few nights of -40f every winter with days and days of -0f on end. i gather my own wood whenever i can (free heat) and have been using the same saw since 1984. take care of it and it lasts!!

I'm curious what you were looking for that brought you here.

"kenny chaos"... i was looking for information on a brand of wood stove called "tri-lakes" it is like the fisher wood stove... it is up and running as of last wed afternoon. wow, nothing like the radiant heat of a wood stove!

Dry wood, dry wood, dry wood x 1,000,000.

1st year burners will suffer wet wood problems.

It takes 3 years for eastern hardwood to really dry nicely, not 1 year.

Dryer lint soaked in vegetable oil makes a good fire starter. A Map gas torch also makes a great firewood starter.

Spend money on a real wood shed and get many seasons ahead for really dry wood. Dry wood dry wood dry wood.

Dry firewood cannot be purchased you must season it yourself.

Dry firewood burns hot, lights easy, lasts a long time and is easier to carry into the house because it is lighter than wet wood.

Dirty glass reflects more heat back into the fire box where it is needed for an efficient burn. Clean glass is for the rookies and OCD`ers ;-)

Dirty glass does what???

1) That I can cheaply and easily do an actual moisture measurement of the wood in my woodpile. Just last weekend, getting ready for my first burn, I took and axe and my cheapo moisture meter to the woodpile. I saw that my 2 year old oak is still at 24% or so, not quite ready yet, but that my 1 year old ash is at 16% and ready to roll. It's great to really know for sure.

2) That I should give cat stoves another chance. I had switched to non-cat because of issues with my old VC. Here I learned of the Blaze King stoves. What an eye-opener!

3) That an insulated liner is worth the effort and cost to install. I am astounded at how clean my liner was after burning 24/7 for 5 months, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with my insulated liner.

4) Blow the cold air into the warm room, not the other way around. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.