BLAZE KING 40 thermo reading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WASPKFD

Nov 3, 2013
Iowa
Got the king up tonight.. where should the needle be on the thermometer? it ran up to the (4/5 oclock) last knotch position didnt feel right to me,, so I dialed it down..
King dealer/ installer said no need for the prob in dual wall so I did not get one.
any ideas, I have a thermo gun.. any help would be great THANX GUYS!!

Last edited:
Got the king up tonight.. where should the needle be on the thermometer? it ran up to the (4/5 oclock) last knotch position didnt feel right to me,, so I dialed it down..
King dealer/ installer said no need for the prob in dual wall so I did not get one.
any ideas, I have a thermo gun.. any help would be great THANX GUYS!!
sorry if that sounded garbled,,
I fired it up for the first time. followed the book and videos, after about 30 min of burn time the thermo meter was climbing to the max position at the end of the white path about 5 oclock position. I dialed it back and dropped a bit,, it seemed alarming as it was at the max end,If it was a temp gage it would seem to overfire? need help with this IM confused as it seemed the firebox was not that hot,
I do have a IR gun to check temps for back up.. I need suggestions. THANX

You have a brand spanking new cat. They tend to be hyperactive. No need to worry. After half to a full cord, they'll settle down like boring adults.

And I disagree with the store: a flue probe IS useful to keep the temps there high enough (and not too high during the charring phase).

Reactions: WASPKFD
Had coal left over this morning from a half load yesterday 12 hr burn
Started from coals this morning but left air open only 15min instead of half hour ( book) when I reloaded
seems to be at about the 2 o clock position but spiked once,, I didn't panic. I found another forum that says this is the norm.
I agree on probe lol but he says no . been selling and installing for 39 years,, but I need the peace of mind so I will purchase one today, drives me nuts not knowing flue temp.
Please any tips would be great!

I miss the crackle of the fire and huge flames from the old BUCK stove,, I just hope this will probuce the heat THE BUCK DID

Last year with my new Princess the dial was pegged hard a few times. It settled down after a month, blocking off the damper helped too, but I have a 36' chimney. It is boring now. I still check after 6 hours and then walk away in disgust when there's still half a load in the box.

Reactions: WASPKFD and BKVP
Last year with my new Princess the dial was pegged hard a few times. It settled down after a month, blocking off the damper helped too, but I have a 36' chimney. It is boring now. I still check after 6 hours and then walk away in disgust when there's still half a load in the box.
ran another burn again yesterday, Ya crazy burn time WOW!! again just less than half loads getting 13 hr burn with coals this morning, lol less air this time around helped keeping it from pegging out,,,

Reactions: Todd