Blaze King Ashford Bio-Brick challenge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I decided to give the Ashford a try with some Bio-Bricks. I only used 2 packages equaling 76 lbs. It held at 250 degrees on the Iron top for 10 hrs, when we got home it was turned up for a while. It's currently sitting at 450 and has been since 7 PM. Here are a few progressive pictures from start to current, so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 714
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 722
The last picture is 14.5 hours into the burn. It spent about half of that time on low and the rest on medium, and high for about 30 minutes when I got home just for some quick heat.

Here is what I have after 24 hours. My thermostat is set at #1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 607
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 595
Reactions: alforit
Wow!
Thanks for the info, I will definitely give those a try this week-end.

Do you get the rolling flames only when it's turned up, or do you still get them when it's on 1?

I've still got an eye on the new BK models (Sirocco, Ashford) although hopefully we won't need to replace the Republic anytime soon. But I'd miss the fire aspect of the tube stove if it was just a glowing cat...

There was just a mini buying alaska marathon on and one of the houses had a newer King, it was definately blazing away but I don't know if they kicked it up to high for show...

It was on high for show. On low, there are no visible flames.

Wow, looks like you may have enough fuel for another 24 hours and it looked like you didn't pack the box completely full. How many brick were in there and what did they cost?

Wow, looks like you may have enough fuel for another 24 hours and it looked like you didn't pack the box completely full. How many brick were in there and what did they cost?
$10 for 2 bundles, 76lbs total. I could have fit another bundle in there.
It's making some impressive heat on low. It's running in the 250-350 range. Keep in mind that I have a convection top, so it reads a little low anyway.

Nice to know they work so well but I wish they were a little cheaper.

If the bricks were packed tighter it looks like you could get a 2 day burn out the bricks. That's impressive. Boring to look at, but nice when you want extended safe heat.

I think I may give this a go in my Keystone some day.

How much of a coal bed did you have Webby when you started this burn? I'm always leary burning those products in my stove unless my coal bed is pretty small, they can get hot real quick. I had one NEIL on a good coal bed take off pretty fast and get hot.

The way to keep them from taking off is by packing them in tightly with no gaps. They burn evenly as a solid block of many bricks.

I'll have to try that BG, I have some eco bricks but have mostly used the NEIL's.

How many you think it would take to fill my stove? I've burned six of the big ones from TSC before, but I see they are a lot smaller now.

I stacked them Tight in the back and a little looser in the front so it would take off.
With a BK, I see no way that they could burn out of control.

with that slow of a burn does the chiminey creosote up, or smoke much? Seems it would with a smoldering fire. Or does the cat take care of that? (im a epa secondaries fella) my stove would be a mess

How much is a ton of those brick going for now a days?

Alright, you talked me into it. Six packs of eco bricks from TSC, 126 lbs. I probably could fit two more, but they swell up as they burn. I might have it a little tight as it is :eek:

CAM00112.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.