Blaze king classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr3117

Oct 21, 2013
Idaho
I just picked a blaze king classic off craigslist for 1200. I don't have any experience with cat stoves. it's a 2010 model . The stove has a bunch of creosote build up inside that needs to be cleaned. I was wondering if anyone can tell from the pic if the cat needs to be replaced IMAG0371.jpg IMAG0368.jpg IMAG0375.jpg

Reactions: raybonz
Congratulations. That sounds like a great deal if the stove is in nice condition. Visually the cat appears to be in good shape. I wouldn't bother cleaning off the sote in the firebox. Just burn it out with a hot fire or two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying to burn it off but there is a lot in there.

Just to be sure, did you take the flame guard off that mounts in front of the cat? It looks like a nice find! Hit it with a can of Satin Stove Bright and it will look new again!

Yes I took off the flame guard to take the pic.

Blaze kings get creosote in the firebox...no big deal.

Blaze kings get creosote in the firebox...no big deal.

Yep. It doesn't 'burn out' very well, either. I dig it out in the spring.

The cat and gasket look remarkably good. Dollar bill the door gasket, take a look at the bypass gasket and make sure it closes relatively firmly, and burn away.

Oh, and check the glass gasket by palming each side of the glass and making sure there is no movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Jeff t.....you're hired!

Sorry I missed the whole DC event, but My son and I each did shoot a bruiser in Idaho!

Chris

Reactions: jeff_t
Yep. It doesn't 'burn out' very well, either. I dig it out in the spring.

The cat and gasket look remarkabky good. Dollar bill the door gasket, take a look at the bypass gasket and make sure it closes relatively firmly, and burn away.

Oh, and check the glass gasket by palming each side of the glass and making sure there is no movement.
it passes the dollar bill test but I don't see a gasket aroundthe bypass

do these stoves dirty up the chimney like inside the firebox

Jeff t.....you're hired!

Sorry I missed the whole DC event, but My son and I each did shoot a bruiser in Idaho!

Chris
We missed you too Chris. It would have been great to have a BK stove in the testing.

do these stoves dirty up the chimney like inside the firebox
When you have a low-cruising fire in the box, you get some build-up on the walls; Once the smoke is burned in the cat on its way out of the box, there's virtually no gunk in the smoke and the chimney liner will stay very clean.
Outside, you can smell a bit of the stuff in the box burning off the next time you load the stove and are burning with the bypass open at a higher temp, getting the probe temp up and establishing the load. Hmmm, I wonder if this phase of the burn is accounted for in the EPA emissions tests. I'm thinking 'no,' they are probably using new, clean stoves with no creo in the box.

I wouldn't bother cleaning off the sote in the firebox. Just burn it out with a hot fire or two.
Whenever I think about burning a hot fire to clean out the box or burn haze off the glass, I remember how much work it was to get the wood. Then I forget all about the box and the glass, and get the stove burning at a low cruise as soon as possible. ==c
I'm content to just wait until I let the stove go out on a warm day to clean the glass and maybe knock a bit of creo off with a putty knife.

Last edited:
Don't bother cleaning that creosote out of the firebox, it will just come right back, and you will never be able to clean the accumulation of potato chips that fall behind those welded in heat shields. Just consider it extra thermal mass.

Yes, the BKs muddy up your chimney. Not as bad as that firebox or an old smoke dragon but much worse than an EPA non-cat stove. I've burned both back to back and have experienced it. Do your normal sweepings on schedule and it isn't a problem. The accumulation is a product of very high efficiency and low flue temps so I don't consider it a flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.