Building a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an update!The shed is almost done!I will add a door to complete the shed for the short term.I haven't seem much if any rain enter from the exposed top area so i might leave it open.Dont know if much snow will get in during the winter so may do something to cover it up.Should be plenty of ventilation thru the spaces in the picket fence and top for the wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 893
That should do a good job of protecting your wood stack Stanly. I doubt you will need to enclose it more. If a little snow does get on top of the wood it wouldn't hurt much.

Very nice, SJ. I'm with Carl...door or no door, it's a matter of how you want it, the wood's well protected. Good job! Rick

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
J-Man said:
Fire - I like that alot. Thats exactly what I need. Did you take out a permit to put that up?

I plead the 5th...sorry

What is a permit anyways???????????? Screwemmmmmmm, damned snakes. In NY a place like you have there is likely considered a Chateau, not a shanty. Christ they would tax your on your ice hut if you left it sitting around too long. Out of sight is truly out of mind and always consider the high altitude maps they use to snoop in your yard. Like the old Drill Seargant once told me. "Cover, they have to see you to shoot you". Make use of trees accordingly if possible.

Driz said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:
J-Man said:
Fire - I like that alot. Thats exactly what I need. Did you take out a permit to put that up?

I plead the 5th...sorry

What is a permit anyways???????????? Screwemmmmmmm, damned snakes. In NY a place like you have there is likely considered a Chateau, not a shanty. Christ they would tax your on your ice hut if you left it sitting around too long. Out of sight is truly out of mind and always consider the high altitude maps they use to snoop in your yard. Like the old Drill Seargant once told me. "Cover, they have to see you to shoot you". Make use of trees accordingly if possible.

Ya it is a bunch of BS anyway....Just another way for a NOBODY to hassle the common working man......they love to pick on the stuff that just does not matter...hey but guess what..the teachers will be on strike next week to raise your takes another mil......got to love this sh!! I guess I am just twisted??? lol.... :cheese:

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Driz said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:
J-Man said:

I plead the 5th...sorry

Ya it is a bunch of BS anyway....Just another way for a NOBODY to hassle the common working man......they love to pick on the stuff that just does not matter...hey but guess what..the teachers will be on strike next week to raise your takes another mil......got to love this sh!! I guess I am just twisted??? lol.... :cheese:

Your not twisted!The school systems seem to be!If your town or city is like mine and 70+ percent of all our taxes go to the school system and they cant run it good enough and want more!i would say the schools need to make changes.Taxes are getting way too high as it is now.

Getting way off topic. Maybe take this up in the Ash Can or the Wood Shed?

BeGreen said:
Getting way off topic. Maybe take this up in the Ash Can or the Wood Shed?

Sorry! Got alittle carried away

needs a stove, a chimney, a TV and a beer cooler.

edit: and some wood.

FINISHED!!!I used nothing but scraps around house to finish the job.Not perfect!but i think i did a good job.I will be getting cement blocks and landscape 5*3 timber to hold the piles of wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 716
I think you did an excellent job, sj...well done! (or, as we'd say in the Navy, Bravo Zulu!) Rick

stanleyjohn said:
FINISHED!!!I used nothing but scraps around house to finish the job.Not perfect!but i think i did a good job.I will be getting cement blocks and landscape 5*3 timber to hold the piles of wood.

Good job with the finishing. This should be a great asset next winter, especially when it is full of wood. :)

Unbelievable!!! Crap, what ever covers the wood, you don`t need to keep up with the Jones`s here. Airy, and like Pook, or KooP, or Kook, would say--just make sure it`s covered for the winter, this is not Rocket Science. Airy, and fairy if you choose, just make sure the wind can blow thru it. done,done-- prettry, doesn`t mean diddly squat :coolhmm:

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
wow man, thats really nice! What did you end up using as the outside walls?

I used regular pressure treated 6*8 picket fencing and for the top part i used leftover shingles i had laying around draped over pieces of picket fence used for support.Dressed up the corners and the door sides with 3.5 inch pine which i stained before using.Wasted no material on this job!Thanks to all for the kind words.When i get it filled with wood ill snap a pic of the inside.

sonnyinbc said:
...prettry, doesn`t mean diddly squat :coolhmm:

Perhaps not to you, sonny. I'd say it depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is just where the shed sits on your property in relation to whatever else is there with it, and how you'd like it all to look. I like neat and pretty, and my woodshed sits just steps away from my house about 30' back from the driveway. I've got other wood stored elsewhere on the property in much less prominent locations, and I'm not quite so picky what those places look like. When I decided to put the shed where I did, for convenient access through either front or back door, I knew I needed to make it a "presentable" structure that would look like it belonged right there next to my house. So that's what I did. I'd say that sometimes pretty really does mean diddly squat. :) Rick

fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...prettry, doesn`t mean diddly squat :coolhmm:

Perhaps not to you, sonny. I'd say it depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is just where the shed sits on your property in relation to whatever else is there with it, and how you'd like it all to look. I like neat and pretty, and my woodshed sits just steps away from my house about 30' back from the driveway. I've got other wood stored elsewhere on the property in much less prominent locations, and I'm not quite so picky what those places look like. When I decided to put the shed where I did, for convenient access through either front or back door, I knew I needed to make it a "presentable" structure that would look like it belonged right there next to my house. So that's what I did. I'd say that sometimes pretty really does mean diddly squat. :) Rick

Fossil
can you post some pics of your set up? I like to see what other people use to store the wood in. I posted pics of my wood bins in the picture forum, not the prettiest things in the world, but not the ugliest either, and they are pretty much out of eye sight from the neighbours

Elderthewelder said:
Fossil can you post some pics of your set up? I like to see what other people use to store the wood in. I posted pics of my wood bins in the picture forum, not the prettiest things in the world, but not the ugliest either, and they are pretty much out of eye sight from the neighbours

Elder, if you go back up this thread to post #27, there's a link in my post that goes to another thread where I posted a pic shortly after construction was completed. Right now I've got stain all over my hands because I'm putting a finish on it to match our house & the shop/garage/guest building. When the shed's all done, it'll be stained cedar with dark brown trim. I'm also going to run electricity out to it so I can have a couple of lights in it. One of these days when it's all stained & painted, I'll post another pic. I call it the Taj Malog. :lol: Rick

Fossil
Wow! that's impressive. I wish I had the room to do something like that. Unfortunately I have a postage stamp size lot in the heart of the city.

Here is a pic of the inside!I plan on stacking the wood on 3 sides.I will most likely double or triple the width on all three sides depending on how much wood i get.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 653
Carl, Looking at your pics I see the big grain storage/ elevators in the background. Is that downtown Newberry?

I like what you are using to stack your wood on..sure beats pallets. Think I may go to a system like that next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.