Building a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking shed, should last a good long time and protect the wood well for the winter. Do the fence panels come off to let the wood dry in the summer or are you only putting seasoned wood into it ?
We have the same rules about footings and floors and taxation. One thing nobody mentioned is the satellite overhead photo's they call it WINGIS here but it will be coming to your area and they use it to see any additions or new structures pools sheds ect. on your property. Then when the see anything they send someone out or just raise taxes based on what they see and if you disagree you can appeal. Yes what a nice bunch of folks we have.

fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...prettry, doesn`t mean diddly squat :coolhmm:

Perhaps not to you, sonny. I'd say it depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is just where the shed sits on your property in relation to whatever else is there with it, and how you'd like it all to look. I like neat and pretty, and my woodshed sits just steps away from my house about 30' back from the driveway. I've got other wood stored elsewhere on the property in much less prominent locations, and I'm not quite so picky what those places look like. When I decided to put the shed where I did, for convenient access through either front or back door, I knew I needed to make it a "presentable" structure that would look like it belonged right there next to my house. So that's what I did. I'd say that sometimes pretty really does mean diddly squat. :) Rick

:red: Well there you go, now see, my wife made me build my sheds out in the forest, out of sight. Could it be that she has some insight into my carpentry skills? Or lack thereof? :down: No matter, I still love my blue tarps, kinda seperates the forest from the sheds :lol:

Attachments

• big screen 007.jpg
    big screen 007.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 601
^Hey sonny just wait till I start posting my blue tarp contraptions...we'll have a competition LOL...btw that's a neat looking shed ya got there. I take it when the weather closes in you drop and secure the tarp right? I imagine BC gets more rain than snow so you remove the wood to the house easily.

vrey nice shed. I like the cover and possibility fo airflow

I was in Zurich a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed with the:

amount of wood collections one can see from the side of the road

the uniformness of the smooth cuts and tightness of the stacks ( iI think they use the same type of wood processing equip as you)

How much wood everyone has up against the house...ready to go

Glacialhills said:
Carl, Looking at your pics I see the big grain storage/ elevators in the background. Is that downtown Newberry?

Not sure of what you are looking at? I don't have any pictures of Newberry.

savageactor7 said:
^Hey sonny just wait till I start posting my blue tarp contraptions...we'll have a competition LOL...btw that's a neat looking shed ya got there. I take it when the weather closes in you drop and secure the tarp right? I imagine BC gets more rain than snow so you remove the wood to the house easily.

Just did the one pic, but there are 2 more sheds just like the one in the pic. for a total capacity of 8 cords +. I`m using the wee bit of sunny acreage to dry my wood in rows from March till Sept-where it dries much faster with only the tops covered. Actually as far as the "blue tarp contractions", kinda wish I`d spent a few extra bucks on either black or green ones :down:

Seriously though, when you build your woodsheds in the forest like I have, wood doesn`t season worth crap in there. Sun and wind drying out in the open is a must before stacking it into those tombs. Like the pics below.

Attachments

• big screen 001.jpg
    big screen 001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 497
Status
Not open for further replies.