Building rack with plastic pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cfran88

Jul 11, 2019
Central Ohio
So I got some inexpensive plastic pallets (heard they last longer than wood) so I want to be able to stack on them. My first thought was maybe getting some 2x4 (or whatever appropriate size) and bolting them together (see picture below, I'm holding it in place). If that's a good idea, does it matter what material the bolt should be made of considering I'm mixing wood and plastic for outside use?

I'm open to suggestions if there's a better way. My goal is for it to be cost effective, strong, and have a decent shelf life. I'm willing to spend a few more pennies if it'll last significantly longer.

Attachments

• 20190929_164253.jpg
    20190929_164253.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 1,063
Plastic pallets will last virtually forever especially if wood is stacked on them keeping sun from rotting them. Maybe a 2x4 in each corner of pallet then one right above the pallet and at 4ft high torx screwed to the uprights. I would do this on all sides except front so u can easily access wood. If u butt pallets together I would just put uprights in 4 end corners.

Sorry I wasn't thinking correctly. If u butt them together u would still need to put uprights and horizontal 2x4s on back. But honestly you can just drive t post....I use three on each end of my stacks .....6 total. I have a row of 8 or so like this butted together and it's pretty solid.

Plastic pallets are great.

Lots of simple options, if you won't be wanting to move them when they are loaded. Like, with a front end loader.

I would likely just lay them out on the ground as long as you want your pile to be, then drive some T posts in the ground at the ends as mentioned above. You could also cross pile the ends and not use anything else, but sometimes that will go wobbly as the stacks dry out. Or, if you want to use your 2x4's, whittle the ends so they will fit down inside that pocket as far as possible, put one in the middle also (or a 2x6)and then also cross pile the ends when you stack. Both things together should do it. Don't see a need for fasteners.

If you are wanting to move them after they are loaded, then things get tricky.

Thanks! I also thought about t-posts as the pallets have holes in the bottom. I will try that! I won't be needing to move them. My backyard is only about an acre.

I liked your idea of fastening them to 2 bys, I would then make a rack with 8 foot or if three pallets 12 foot 2bys and tie it all together, solid and you could cover easy, maybe even make a permanent cover for winter.

So I got some inexpensive plastic pallets (heard they last longer than wood) so I want to be able to stack on them. My first thought was maybe getting some 2x4 (or whatever appropriate size) and bolting them together (see picture below, I'm holding it in place). If that's a good idea, does it matter what material the bolt should be made of considering I'm mixing wood and plastic for outside use?

I'm open to suggestions if there's a better way. My goal is for it to be cost effective, strong, and have a decent shelf life. I'm willing to spend a few more pennies if it'll last significantly longer.
Hey , I can get some plastic panels similar to yours. What was your final design for supporting ends of the pile?

Grab (4) T post stakes, or cut (4) 2x4's so they have a pointed end that can be banged into the ground, (1) post per end stack in the middle, stack wood approx 3.5 - 4ft high, run a rope tying it to each of the posts, stack more splits on top of the rope, the pressure of the wood on the rope will suck the steaks into the pile making one of the firmest supports. Its quick, easy, looks good.

Grab (4) T post stakes, or cut (4) 2x4's so they have a pointed end that can be banged into the ground, (1) post per end stack in the middle, stack wood approx 3.5 - 4ft high, run a rope tying it to each of the posts, stack more splits on top of the rope, the pressure of the wood on the rope will suck the steaks into the pile making one of the firmest supports. Its quick, easy, looks good.

Yes that works well. I had an old clothesline laying around that I have used before too. A bit harder to tie knots with, but it holds good.

Hey , I can get some plastic panels similar to yours. What was your final design for supporting ends of the pile?
I ended up just criss cross stacking the ends and that's it. I used the set up in the photo for smaller limb pieces until I made something better.