I've stated a few times that I'd like to try some black locust because we have none around here. So, thanks to etiger (thanks Ed), we got some black locust. We burned some earlier in January and burned the last of it last night (except for a couple small pieces). So, how did it go? The first thing we noticed about it is the smell! Wife not happy for sure. She went outside again this morning when some was still in the stove and came in complaining. lol When I first started I was mixing it with ash and it burned nicely. Then we tried a full load. Stove and flue got up to temperature and we engaged the cat. Nuts. Temperature went down and flame died. Open the bypass and get the temperature back up. Now the cat lit off and the stove top temperature went up to 700. Held there for quite some time and then dropped very slowly. Don't remember how many nights we did this but had pretty good results with long burn times and huge bed of coals in the morning. That is one thing we noticed too is that it paid to have a large coal bed when loading the locust. So last night was a cold one and I loaded the stove with most of the last of the BL. Same scenario. Cat did not want to light off. Had to cycle it twice. There was no hissing or moisture coming from the wood but for sure it could have been drier. Also last night was strange in that we did not get a long burn time. I got up around 6:30 this morning just because the stove needed fed. This really surprised me. So I put in some more wood and crawled back in bed for a while. Tonight I'll be burning oak. Burned ash though most of the day. I do think the BL can be an excellent firewood and Ed tells me we'll soon have some honey locust to try out. It might be interesting. I'll give him some more good ash to burn too.