Burning while not home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yup, when I am going out the door to work in the morning and the rest of the house is still sleeping I double and triple check that the ash pan and firebox doors are latched properly...and on my wood furnace setup I always make sure the barometric damper is doing its thing and I glance at the reading on the manometer and temp gauges too, just for extra peace of mind...always glance up at the chimney on my way out the drive too.
Never never never walk away from the stove/furnace with a door not fully latched!

I do too; always look at the chimney. At my place and any other place I pass...

Trying to get to the point where we can completely get rid of propane. My question is do any of you guys that heat soley with wood leave your stoves burning and unatended while your at work? Or is this a terrible idea. Maybe better insulation to keep house warmer longer is better solution?
Always burning, if the place burns down I’d rather not be home. ;lol

Here's a thought: if you can't leave the stove burning and go away from the house, can you trust it burning at night while you are asleep....

I don't hesitate to leave home with the stoves operating. Then again, I don't jam them full of wood, light them off, and head out the door. I light a fire a bit before leaving and make sure everything is ok first. If I am adding some wood to an existing fire, I'll leave pretty quickly.

I Still Burn 24/7, But i did have a MAJOR FAIL 2 years ago.
Got Very Lucky, Posted about it below, starts in this thread and goes a few posts past.

Even though I had my stove professionally installed, I still had to learn how to safey and efficiently operate the stove. No subsititute for experience here. I burned day time fires only for awhile and watched the stove react to reloads, learned when to start shutting down air and monitored temp gauges. Eventually I began overnight fires and then started 24/7 burning. It took awhile for me as I have a healthy respect for fire, particularly in my home. You will get there.

Reactions: Sawset