Can't identify used Blaze King stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moepeppers

Oct 18, 2018
Tehama Co.,CA
Hi All I'm shopping for a good used stove on a tight budget and came across this stove on CL. I haven't been able to find a model or manual on it. It looks similar to an older Princess but has a stepped top. Any one recognize it? Is it a cat model? Is it any good ? They are asking 250. Thanks.
00D0D_gkiKfKTE74u_1200x900.jpg 00w0w_di316aD5OBo_1200x900.jpg

What makes you think it’s a Blaze King? Did the seller say it was or something?

What makes you think it’s a Blaze King? Did the seller say it was or something?
It does have that bk fat bottomed girl look. But i dont know we dont see any old ones out here.

I had BK King from 91, it's nothing like old BK King. Is there Handle on the right side to engage the cat? If not it does not. Plus you can see the cat if you look inside stove. I doubt it's Cat stove. I sole my BK King with 4 year old Steel Cat for $400 this spring. Along with Elbow Pipe and Fire Wood Hoop thrown in. All working fine. Even had extra gasket and glass. BK has manuals online. They have label on the back. http://www.blazeking.com/

Yeah but then you would have a pos $500 stove. I know nothing about this used stove but a new $500 stove is going to be pretty poor quality.

Yeah but then you would have a pos $500 stove. I know nothing about this used stove but a new $500 stove is going to be pretty poor quality.
Doubt he's going to spring for Expensive Stove when he's shopping 250 dollar one that don't look so hot. But yes you get what you paid for. My New Pellet burner cost $3300 plus install. Plus Battery Backup. I think I have 6k in it. But I can go to sleep at night. (Harmon XXV). I just looked and Cat Wood Stoves are rare on my local Craiglist right now. he might have better luck. Any BK will have label on the back. Estate Sale might be good way to pick one up.

Doubt he's going to spring for Expensive Stove when he's shopping 250 dollar one that don't look so hot. But yes you get what you paid for. My New Pellet burner cost $3300 plus install. Plus Battery Backup. I think I have 6k in it. But I can go to sleep at night. (Harmon XXV). I just looked and Cat Wood Stoves are rare on my local Craiglist right now. he might have better luck. Any BK will have label on the back. Estate Sale might be good way to pick one up.
And new cat stoves for $500 are non existent. He may not even want a cat stove. I would not have gotten one before moving to a smaller house. Most new stoves in that price range have no air control at all to pass emmision testing. If you take your time and look you can get good deals on good used stoves. I got my first stove a cawley lemay 600 for free. Picked up a regency for a couple hundred. A fisher for 150. There are lots out there. If you go up to the $1000 range you can get some decent new stuff. But not at $500

Last edited:
OK, it’s not a Blaze King. If it were, it would say so plainly. Pass on it.

6K for a pellet stove? Then the cost of pellets on top of that? Wow!

Reactions: bholler
OK, it’s not a Blaze King. If it were, it would say so plainly. Pass on it.
He never replied that it did or didnt say it was. Just that the seller said it was. And regardless at $250 it may be a decent stove we dont know yet.

Sure ugly like a Blaze King. Even the same ugly shape. You can do better, that's fer sure

Reactions: bholler
He never replied that it did or didnt say it was. Just that the seller said it was. And regardless at $250 it may be a decent stove we dont know yet.
I’m saying it’s not a BK...

I’m saying it’s not a BK...
I know that. But you are saying it isnt because it doesnt clearly say it is a bk. The problem is we havnt been told if it says it is or not.

Ya, sure ain’t beautiful like an nc30...;lol
Nc30 are not beautiful no one said they were. Like most modern plate steel stoves they are fairly boring and neutral looking. But the princess and king just have very strange unbalanced proportions that make them look bad. And this stove has very similar lines and proportions. They are still great stoves i am likeing the princess so far but itnis ugly.

I know that. But you are saying it isnt because it doesnt clearly say it is a bk. The problem is we havnt been told if it says it is or not.
Not exactly. Nothing about it resembles an BK, step top, odd shaped cerimac accents for starters.

Not exactly. Nothing about it resembles an BK, step top, odd shaped cerimac accents for starters.
Nothing accept for the shape and proportions like i said.

Nc30 are not beautiful no one said they were. Like most modern plate steel stoves they are fairly boring and neutral looking. But the princess and king just have very strange unbalanced proportions that make them look bad. And this stove has very similar lines and proportions. They are still great stoves i am likeing the princess so far but itnis ugly.
There comes a time that looks take a back seat to performance. If you've got a perfect home with great insulation and don’t require a stove to perform, then looks become more important. I’ve had pretty stoves, they were ok.. I prefer performance.

There comes a time that looks take a back seat to performance. If you've got a perfect home with great insulation and don’t require a stove to perform, then looks become more important. I’ve had pretty stoves, they were ok.. I prefer performance.
But you can get lots of stoves that perform well and look good or atleast not bad. You can even get good looking blaze kings.

But you can get lots of stoves that perform well and look good or atleast not bad. You can even get good looking blaze kings.
From a usability standpoint, I’ll take a princess over an Ashford any day!